2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
ChopinLives81:

Nice playing! Were those first two your own compositions? They were nice.

One thing you might want to consider is bringing out the melody line a bit more... your left hand is often at the same volume as your right, whereas it should be more of a supplement, providing the foundation but not overwhelming your right hand. The melodies in your own compositions are very lovely, and they should be clearly out there at the forefront.

My teacher once said, "They're paying to hear the melody, not the accompaniment!"

You are quite talented to have accomplished this on your own (or heck, even with a teacher).

thumb

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Nina:
ChopinLives81:

Nice playing! Were those first two your own compositions? They were nice.

One thing you might want to consider is bringing out the melody line a bit more... your left hand is often at the same volume as your right, whereas it should be more of a supplement, providing the foundation but not overwhelming your right hand. The melodies in your own compositions are very lovely, and they should be clearly out there at the forefront.

My teacher once said, "They're paying to hear the melody, not the accompaniment!"

You are quite talented to have accomplished this on your own (or heck, even with a teacher).

thumb
I know what you mean and i do, but unfortunately the recording are in midi, so i loose alot of the volume differences between the melody and accompaniment...but believe me, when i play the piece i really do play them with alot more feeling than what you could hear in those recordings, but anyways thanks for the replies.

-And yes those first two were my own compositions. The first one "Romance No.1" I composed as a Valentine's Day gift for this girl i liked back in High School..lol

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
WOW! You play beautifully! And I absolutely love your original compositions!

BTW, what equipment did you use to record those?

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I have a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-950 and i hooked it through a midi cable to my computer, but some were recorded through a microphone. I also have a SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS soundcard (best soundcard on the market wink

-btw thanks for the opinion

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
Okay, I have another question. When you started learning, which method books (if any) did you use?

Let me know if my questions get annoying, LOL!

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
non..i just picked up pieces that i liked and worked on them little by little....lol

Check my videos @:
Are the pieces still uploaded?

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
no they got wiped off i don't know why...can someone send me a link to where i can upload the pieces again

Check my videos @:
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I downloaded one called Casals - Prelude.ogg

Is that yours?

It is very nice!

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
no it isn't Mark...i recently re-uploaded just me two compositions here:

www.streamload.com/chopinlives81

let me know what you think.

Check my videos @:
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by mound:
it sounds like he's in a position of hiring church players, maybe he's the director of music ministry at his church.. I thought his post was pretty clear. In the "real world" a list of repertoir is as worthless as a RCM "grade level" -if you can play, you'll get the job smile
Precisely. Though I'm not the director of music, I help out where I can. Often that involves hiring supplemental musicians. I don't care about their skill level in general, only as specific to the type playing I need. I also get hired for church and other gigs. Do they like my playing? the only way I can know is if the phone rings again and I have another gig. Similarly, when I hire somebody, I'll never say anything bad about them, to their face or to others. But if they didn't play well, I don't call again, nor recommend them to others.

The example I gave of playing hymns is a very narrow specific requirement. It tells nothing about accomplishment in general. It is simply one example of very quantifiable, operational definitions of skill level. And market forces determine whether you have succeeded or not.

There's at least one flaw in using the "hired again" evaluation process. Sometimes I don't hire a good player because he's a jerk. (sometimes I suspect I've been hired over better players because I'm generally a nice guy) But generally it works. For those who make their living playing, it works too well. <g>

If you never play for hire, maybe this doesn't apply to you. But maybe you should try it. Like being hanged in the morning, it tends to focus the mind. I learned to transpose Bb treble by doing it live in front of a paying drunken crowd - sink or swim. Several decades later it hasn't faded.

gotta go practice
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i agree.

i'm not the most secure repetoire wise. Mainly because I have a crappy memory (why'd i come down the stairs again...? hmmm). But I can sight read alot of things and at church people like me to accompany them because i don't get nervous and i don't mess up. And just because i can't memorize **** (generally... under great stress i've memorized long pieces before).

But my point is that what you can play doesn't necessarily mean you're a good pianist.

I'm not trying to offend you, ChopinLives, because for being self taught you are hella good (and I like your compositions too... good for a first timer). But I'm saying that there is a line of piano playing that comes only from experience.

I said this one the Pianist Corner, but I'll say it here to. Keep up the good work chopinlives.

B
B
i like your composition, very very good,
did ya get the girl btw? hehe

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
hmm... it took me a while to remember what "did ya get the girl btw" meant.

haha

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
No i didn't, she was already involved with someone else.

However, i still keep in contact with her and she still secretly asks me to meet with her a few times a year so i can play it for her.
( not exactly a socially smart move for my feeling, but i can't resist such a request).

Check my videos @:
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission