Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#940694 - 06/27/08 09:36 AM Re: Question
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I can see the difficulties in this - exhaustion doesn't sound good. Hang in there and keep us posted.

It might have been a different "fille" - it was late and I was tired - but I remember listening for "impressionism", hearing it, thinking "This could be played like a romantic and lyrical song, almost as though the romance was missing, yaddayadda..." and then his rendition made sense.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#940695 - 06/27/08 10:04 AM Re: Question
Elise_B Offline

Loc: nyc
Oh KS.
if in your explorations, you find out about these non-western scales, would you please let me know..
Tahnks

#940696 - 06/27/08 10:17 AM Re: Question

I had a Saint Saens last year which "sounded funny" in places - or rather I was inclined to play something different than written until I learned of this. Two things: just being aware of it helps you make sense of what you're playing. Different scale arrangements (modes?) create moods, colours, shades - the crude example of this is major and minor.

The only way to get a handle on it is by playing, observing, maybe analyzing parts of your music - the act of practicing & developing the music with understanding. There is no shortcut and it can't be transfered. Are you taking theory? Have you gone past the usual majors and minors?

#940697 - 06/27/08 05:54 PM Re: Question
Elise_B Offline

Theory is not exactly my forte but of course I learnt about the majors and minors. But I think he meant scales that are totally different, like for example in Arabisch music where the steps are less than a semi-tone? (I hope I am not saying something totally stupid here).
Any references from the teachers here as to Debussy's use of unusual scales?

#940698 - 06/27/08 06:19 PM Re: Question

Ok, here goes. The major and minor scales are actually two "modes" which each create a distinctive mood - major tending toward happy & sunny, minor being sad and blue. The intervals of tones and semitones are arranged in a consistent order for a major scale, and for a melodic or harmonic minor scale. In a melody without accompaniment that gives a mood. With harmony the moods are even stronger. There is your first "tone colour" if you will.

There are a lot of other scale types. Each has the order of tones and semitones arranged in a certain way. That gives "colour" or "mood", and lends itself to particular harmonies. Some, such as the whole tone scale, are modern inventions.

Examples:
- blues scale
- whole tone: 7 notes, all a whole tone apart. Example: C D E F# G# A# C. (B would be B# but that is C enharmonically.) If you play this you will hear the mood or colour of this strange scale.
- octatonic: WT ST WT ST repeatedly (WT = whole tone, ST = semitone), or ST WT ST WT

Then you have all the "church modes" which preceded the modern scale. Each mode has a different arrangement of tones and semitones creating a different colour or mood. You can discover the arrangement easily as well as hearing their mood by playing ** white keys only ** as follows:

Ionian - C to C (modern major scale)
Dorian - D to D
Phrygian - E to E
Lydian - F to F
Mixolydian - G to G
Aeolian - A to A (modern natural minor)
Locrian - B to B (rarely if ever used)

Some or all of these would have been Debussy's pallette. At least if you find these scales being referred to you'll have an idea what they're about. The best is to play them to get a feel of what they're about.

The music you were thinking of is typical of India and China and I don't know where else. They use microtones which are tiny intervals less than a semitone in size. But they would not be meant here. For one thing, as a tuned instrument, the piano cannot play microtones (unless it's badly out of tune ;\) )

#940699 - 06/27/08 06:20 PM Re: Question
SantaFe_Player Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi, Elise

The scales used in the Arabic (and I think Indian) music are actually much finer than our own twelve-toned scale. They actually divide into quarter tones and finer. To our western-trained ears, it almost sounds like they are just off-pitch, but the wonderful, wandering melodies they achieve are really wonderful to listen to. Of course we cannot play these scales on a piano, which is hardwired to the 12-tone chromatic paradigm.

There are indeed different scales used even in the music we are more familiar with. I don't recall their names offhand, but it's a question of the whole-half relationships and their order. For instance if you played all white notes but started on D - that's one. Playing all black keys would be the Pentatonic Scale, which we tend to think of as being Oriental. Wind chimes are often tuned to this scale. I'm at work and therefore am surrounded by geophysical theory books rather than music theory books - but if you did a Google search on musical scales or musical modes, you'd probably get some good information on this question. Alas, I have not had the priviledge to play any Debussy yet, but I know he does invoke some creative scalar and harmonic relationships.

As for getting the impressionistic musicality / feel, I would suggest (in all your "spare time" - ha!) you try to listen to a lot of Debussy. This of course goes for other composers as well, whomever you have been assigned. Debussy, being impressionistic, was often trying to actually evoke a specific image to come to your mind with his compositions. In some ways this can make it easier - if you can dig up just what it is that 'most' folks imagine in the music, you can use these images to try and shape your own interpretation. Alternatively, you could just try to get your mitts on several different recordings of the same piece, listen to them all and try to decide which appeals the most to you. This will inspire you to treat the piece in a certain way artistically. (I did this with great success with my own teacher, whose recording was the one I chose to be a bigger influence on me. When I brought the piece to the lesson the next week and played it for him, he said "Oh, very nice, I really like the way you're approaching this part and that part!" ;\) )

#940700 - 06/27/08 06:44 PM Re: Question
Elise_B Offline

Thanks for your responses. I obviously need to read up more about this some day.I want to mention that the use of non western scales as it was being discussed does not necessarily refer to D's piano music- if taht makes any more sense ? either that or I completely misunderstood. ..My attention span expires every now and then.. definitely by minute 50 of the lesson.. we were on 75 I think during that discussion..

#940701 - 06/27/08 06:59 PM Re: Question

Elise, you'll probably get most of your answers by googling Debussy + Impressionism. I think the scales are discussed. These are NOT non-Western scales - they are extremely Western scales for the most part.

Here's a start:
 Quote:
"Debussy's String Quartet in G minor .... In this work he utilized the Phrygian mode as well as less standard scales, such as the whole-tone , which creates a sense of floating, ethereal harmony." [Wikepedia]
5 minutes of playing through some of these scales might give you a feeling for scale types and mood.

Wikepedia The rest is yours. ;\)

#940702 - 06/28/08 12:15 PM Re: Question
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Does anyone think you can play well and absorb the lesson while walking a tightrope?

In another thread the word belittlement came up.

Teaching and providing a list of the Debussy resources he wants you to read, see, or hear, would be helpful to his students.

Since he's not providing it, perhaps you should make that list for yourself like a term paper outline - and over time (not at once) you would pursue information of things Debussy.

Your list will get longer as you learn more and more. It is not something to do overnight - it is a long term, in depth study.

Best wishes, again and again.

Betty

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Stay safe, Ottawa
by jehalliday
Today at 03:51 PM
Which Books did Chopin Study?
by Batuhan
Today at 03:12 PM
Study Group - Mozart Sonata n13 KV 333
by Doritos Flavoured
Today at 02:40 PM
Broken Wrist
by sonataplayer
Today at 02:26 PM
Music notation software on iPad
by Nordomus
Today at 01:38 PM
Who's Online
153 registered (accordeur, ajames, anamnesis, ando, 39 invisible), 1686 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76619 Members
42 Forums
158422 Topics
2326499 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission