Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#940931 - 02/18/05 11:17 PM Qualities in Teachers
DaWF Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
My teacher recently informed me that at the rate I was learning, I'd have roughly a year left with her before she'd like to see me move on to a college professor or someone of that level.

I was just curious to what qualities I should look for in a teacher before I start taking lessons from them. Should I attend a recital of theirs, or does performance ability matter when considering a teacher? What other things should I observe?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#940932 - 02/23/05 01:26 PM Re: Qualities in Teachers
princessclara2005 Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Performance ability is not the ONLY factor to be considered as a good teacher, it is important, however, so try to go to their recitals will be a good idea....in addition, arrage few lessons with them to see what they say about the things and pieces you are playing....have some specific questions regarding style, technique in mind, so that you can expose the problems to them and compare their responses.

Also, sometimes personalities between you and your teacher also matters.

Good luck

#940933 - 03/01/05 12:24 PM Re: Qualities in Teachers
hilaryemma Offline

Loc: Colorado
Personally I think the personality match between you and your teacher is extremely important. While you don't just want to sit there hanging out with them, you want to be able to interact with each other, and respect each other. For many years I had a teacher who I thought to be very good, but really I was very nervous about my lessons and looking back, I didn't enjoy them much at all.

When I finally switched teachers (granted, I was older), I started to realise that my lessons could be fun AND I could learn something at the same time. I learnt more with him in 6 months than I had done in 10 years with the other teacher.

Their peformance ability, in my opinion, really shouldn't be a major factor in deciding who to pick. Of course your teachers should be able to play, but first and foremost, they should be able to teach.

My advice would be to ask for a trial lesson to see how comfortable you are with the setup and ask some questions while you are there.

Good luck!

#940934 - 03/06/05 11:15 AM Re: Qualities in Teachers
ljohnson Offline

Loc: USA
DaWF,

Congratulations on your success as a student! Are you planning to go to college or look to study with a master teacher? Either way, I would approach this from the angle that you consider it a great priviledge to study with a musician of this caliber and do not insult them with a shopping around type of attitude.

While you should be satisfied that you will have a productive relationship with this teacher, it will bode well for you not to present yourself as knowing more than the teacher. I honestly don't feel that a student has the experience or judgement to determine the elidgibility of a teacher. After you acquire some credentials yourself, you may then be able to make these judgements. You should insist that your teacher recommend someone or call her colleagues to get recommendations. Recommendations by other professionals is the only way to go, or, trust the persons qualifications and just GO! We all have faced that transition in our lives. Frankly, my teachers would have laughed me out of the place if I had dared wasted their time with my ignorance. And I have learned so much from each of them, despite any problems that arose.

Best of luck!

#940935 - 03/07/05 09:03 PM Re: Qualities in Teachers
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

The question of performance ability is an interesting one. My teacher didn't perform much for me but she had obviously paid her dues earlier.

When people do the teacher/performer comparison they often forget you can't teach what you don't know. Have you tried different fingerings so you can pass these on to your students? Have you tried different physical approaches to the same phrase? What about dealing with performance anxiety and other performance issues?

I think teachers gain credibility when they can play to a high standard everything they teach.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
International Junior Piano Competition & Festival
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:35 AM
Who's Online
146 registered (accordeur, ajames, A Guy, anamnesis, 42 invisible), 1578 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157889 Topics
2318792 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission