Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#941161 - 03/27/08 02:11 PM "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
goodtune Offline

Please share the names of pieces that have saved your teen male students from quitting.

Thanks!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#941162 - 03/27/08 02:16 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
Ashdyre Offline

Loc: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
:S i have yet to find one. Unfortunatly all my male students want to play things that don't really transcirbe to piano (like Metallica :S) and even if we CAN find something to play on the piano it is usually a much higher piece. Sorry i'm not help! \:\(

#941163 - 03/27/08 02:26 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
So much depends on the student. Is he technically advanced enough to play "Kitten on the Keys?" The piece which kept me going in HS was Pictures at an Exhibition. There couldn't be two pieces more different, yet equally demanding - everyone marches to a different drummer.

So, help us out a bit. What level is your student at? What genre do you think would tickle his fancy?

John

#941164 - 03/27/08 03:15 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
kissyana Offline

Loc: Northeast Illinois
If he is advanced enough and is like 99.9999999% of teen boys, he would probably be interested in playing some of the music from his favorite video games. Loud and fast music might interest him, too.

#941165 - 03/27/08 03:43 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
Minaku Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta
I had a teen boy who wanted to play Chopin's Raindrop Prelude because it was used in a Halo 3 commercial. Rachmaninoff is also a hit with boys. Beethoven's Tempest would be good for them too.

There are some pretty difficult arrangements of videogame music, like from Super Mario, that would be demanding and also interesting for teenagers.

For the ones who are not so advanced, Grieg's "Little Troll" would be good for them. I remember loving that as a kid, though I wasn't a boy. Schubert impromptus wouldn't be bad either.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina

#941166 - 03/27/08 03:57 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
Innominato Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London
Just thinking out loud, but if there are musical renditions of movie hits loved by him (say, "Lord of the Rings", wonderful motives there..) this might keep him interested and at the same time be easier to find than a videogame tune.

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin

#941167 - 03/27/08 05:07 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
It was video video game music that started and kept my teenage son involved with the piano. So much so, that he now composes music for video games, theater and video productions.

Mention the game series "Final Fantasy" to your student and I'm sure his eyes will light up. You can find free solo piano arrangement sheet music here:

http://ffmusic.ffshrine.org/

Published version of the music for several games can be ordered from:

http://www.gamemusic.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GMOStore

Rodney

#941168 - 03/27/08 05:15 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Try stuff by Timothy Brown ("Toccatina" or "Song for Elise") and Kevin Olson ("Sonatina in Flight"). If the student likes romantic/melodic stuff, try Melody Bober ("Romanze" or "Midnight Rhapsody").

Jazz, Rags, and Blues books by Martha Mier are interesting/pleasing to students who aren't serious about piano.

#941169 - 03/27/08 05:34 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
dan.mc Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
A very good site for boys...

http://www.pianothemes.com

Try some Eric Baumgartner stuff as well.

And a shameless plug for some of my books... (with some free samples - Gidget's Gadgets and Walkin' the Dog are popular with the boys...)

http://www.danielmcfarlane.com/main/page_supersonics.html

Most of these pieces were composed for students that didn't like the "normal" repertoire.

#941170 - 03/27/08 06:24 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My 8th grade male student purchased some music from "Pirates of the Carribean" and realy enjoyed learning it.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#941171 - 03/27/08 07:36 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
miaeih Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Star Wars theme was a great hit for many of the boys I have taught. For both girls and boys, cartoon music and Charlie Brown theme.

I always ask all of my students to think of pieces they want to play. Most settle on movie themes.

#941172 - 03/27/08 07:51 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Or give him ideas of pieces or songs that will impress his girlfriend.

#941173 - 03/27/08 09:08 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
How about Raiders March. Actually anything from John Williams.

#941174 - 03/27/08 09:39 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
Fraggle Offline

Loc: Nottingham, U.K.
What about the Infernal Galop? Any galop in fact or a polka \:D

#941175 - 03/27/08 10:03 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
If they like classical music and they've got the chops, selections from Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet suite would fill the bill, especially Montagues & Capulets.

I like the Pirates suggestion. That certainly captured mine's attention at age 11-12.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#941176 - 03/27/08 10:30 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
Lillystar Offline

Dan.mc, plug away! Thanks for sharing your music! Your music is creative and fun to play. I believe it would appeal to my teen student. Anything in the works for young beginners?

#941177 - 03/27/08 10:44 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
dan.mc Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Hi Lillystar, thanks for the plug! Book 1 has pieces that beginners can handle once they are familiar with C-G in both hands. I should have the recordings for all the books done soon...

Ps http://www.pianothemes.com/ has a good arrangement of the Pirates of the Caribbean music

Also, Philip Glass' piano music is great for boys - they seem to love minimalism!

#941178 - 03/27/08 11:38 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
Tony V Offline

If there was such a thing as a piano teacher that teaches a course on video game music, I'd pay extra. \:D

#941179 - 03/28/08 12:54 AM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
ClaraSchumann Offline

Definitely video game music, if you can find it. Pirates of the Caribbean is always a favorite for boys and girls. Boys also really like Melody Bober's Sonatina of the High Seas. Kevin Olsen's Machines on the Loose is great too. Check out Dennis Alexander as well.

Duets and ensembles go the extra mile in keeping boys interested in piano. Girls love them too, of course, but I've kept boys in lessons by adding more duets when nothing else worked. This works best if you can pair two boys together. Or if the
boy has a bit of a crush on his female partner. Hmm, that probably works even better.

#941180 - 03/28/08 01:42 AM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
Tony V Offline

I think if you pair up a boy with a girl he has a crush on, then he'll decrease in performance during lessons due to distractions.

However, I would think his home practice would skyrocket since he'll be determined to impress the girl by playing better. \:D

#941181 - 03/28/08 06:37 AM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
Minaku Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuan Vo:
If there was such a thing as a piano teacher that teaches a course on video game music, I'd pay extra. \:D [/b]
In June I am actually having a themed recital. The theme is videogame and pop music.

Yeah, I'm excited.

#941182 - 03/28/08 10:03 AM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
ZPomeroy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: australia
the thing that actuall saved me from quitting was music from bortkiewicz, i dont know if he likes classical but its worth a shot

Zac

#941183 - 03/28/08 10:45 AM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
goodtune Offline

Thanks so much all. Great ideas for my 15 year old struggling son.

#941184 - 03/29/08 11:28 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
KeysOnTheCeiling Offline

Before teachers shrug off video game music...
It's a wonderful genre that is an actual profession in Japan. It sounds trivial over here, but it's quality music.

#941185 - 03/29/08 11:49 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
Minaku Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm certainly not shrugging it off, and I'm a teacher.

#941186 - 03/30/08 02:55 AM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Polonaise in g minor by Chopin is a great classical piece if your son has been playing piano for a while. It sounds harder than it is and is great fun to play.

All great ideas here...

I might add some stride piano, like the Entertainer or Linus and Lucy Theme.

#941187 - 04/01/08 10:24 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
KeysOnTheCeiling Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Minaku:
I'm certainly not shrugging it off, and I'm a teacher. [/b]
Oh I definetly wasn't directing that at you, or anyone. Simply at anyone reading this topic who was unaware of the video game music scene.

Sorry for that confusion \:\(

#941188 - 04/02/08 07:29 PM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
tenders Offline

Loc: Westchester, NY
What worked for me at that age was being encouraged to accompany a choir in my high school, which was 80% girls. I nearly wet my bench the first time I was asked to accompany one of them solo. (Will never forget it, a Sheena Easton song, "Almost Over You.") Just swapped emails two days ago with one of my lovely teenybopper pageturners, in fact.*

Worked in college too.

Married one of the second sopranos.

Still playing for her.

--tenders

*Facebook is amazing. Yikes, no longer teeny nor all that lovely! Well, me neither.

#941189 - 04/04/08 07:52 AM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
dolbinau Offline

Loc: Australia
I am a teenage boy, so I can speak from experience.

I can't recommend (actually already posted) music from the Final Fantasy Piano collections[/b] album enough, specifically the battle themes One Winged Angel, Fighting from FFVII, and the final battle of final fantasy IX

You can download them from this website (also posted before)

http://ffmusic.ffshrine.org/ff7sheet/ff7-sheet-music.php

Scroll down to the piano collections music, the sheet music at the top is extremely basic. The piano collections albums have been arranged to be 'listened' to and the harder pieces would be, I guess around AMEB grade 6-8.

Prelude in C Sharp Minor is a classical example I think is quite impressive. Generally any grandiose piece of music will appeal; Just make sure it can be played well, of course!

I'd have to say if people are playing at this level I'm not sure why they'd want to quit.

#941190 - 04/04/08 09:15 AM Re: "pupil saver" pieces for teen boys...please recommend.
ptbarnum Offline

Great recital idea, Minaku! I've done the pop tunes theme before, but I know nothing about the video games, and so Cameron's post is very helpful.
I wish somewhere there was a compilation of cell phone ringtones. That would be fun, even for the beginning and elementary students.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (36251, alfredo capurso, accordeur, 54 invisible), 1745 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74300 Members
42 Forums
153683 Topics
2252765 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Cover of Luke Bryan "Drink a Beer"
by Zach Evans
Today at 05:36 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft on May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:06 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:05 PM
Hi Mr S-H and all
by Seaside_Lee
Today at 04:13 PM
A Steinway for under 1,500...
by Juln
Today at 04:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission