Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#942287 - 03/23/04 12:39 AM Teaching Method
Frank R Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Anaheim Hills, CA
Asked this question in response to another thread but maybe that wasn't the proper place to ask it. Maybe better placed here. I am an adult student, 56 yrs. and have been taking lessons for 14 months. My teacher, who I am very pleased with is having me do a couple of different things and I wonder what you guys think. I am about 2/3 of the way thru the Alfred Adult book #2. My teacher says that this is fairly fast progress, although it doesn't seem like it to me. Also, among other things we have compleated all the cords and inversions in preperation for working from a fake book, which I have been doing for the last 5-6 weeks. For some strange reason the cords and inversions really make sence to me. Not nearlly as hard as I thought they would be. Just takes a lot of doing them. I really enyoy this because it gives me a chance to play a lot of tunes that I like and still work on the basics every day. Also, keeps me from getting bored. My practice time is probabily a factor in doing several things at the same time, 1 1/2-3 hrs. per day. I really like the lounge lizard standards type of stuff but am also looking forward to doing a lot of caassical playing. I really love opera and am trying to aquire more of a taste for classical piano music. But then again I really really like jazz. Does this make ANY SENCE AT ALL?? \:D I guess I like it all. Only one regret \:\( should have started 40 yrs. ago. Any feedback about this method would be interesting.

Frank
--------------------------
It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#942288 - 03/23/04 05:51 AM Re: Teaching Method
RedTop Offline

Loc: Peterborough, NH
Hi Frank,
I am also a late starter with just three years experience. I used the first Alfred's Adult Book early on and that approach seems matched to your goals. The Faber series is also very good and could be an alternative for you to check out. Sounds like you are making great progress. Enjoy!

#942289 - 03/31/04 03:07 PM Re: Teaching Method
cht Offline

Loc: Coeur d'Alene, ID
Frank,

I know what you are talking about. I am 58, have been taking lessons for about 5 years. My teacher was taught in the "classical" school, thus, it is how she teaches, so most of my stuff is "easy" arrangements of classical music, but all based on sight reading. Now, I like this kind of work just fine, but I keep getting sucked into the "lounge lizard" stuff that is based on bass-chord and melody line. Sometimes I just want to sit down and lay down some nice chords and put melody to it. You can play any of the "standards" that way, and it sounds good. So, I keep jumping back and forth with it all. I know there is really no substitution for good sight reading, but I think that starting something like that when you are 40+ years old is really asking for a big frustration. I have a friend that is a "shrink" and he told me that we just loose the brain chemistry necessary to make that kind of quick connection at our age. I don't know if that is true or not, but I can attest to really hitting a "wall" with sight reading.

Chuck

#942290 - 04/06/04 05:32 PM Re: Teaching Method
Frank R Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Anaheim Hills, CA
Chuck,

It sounds like you also have a good teacher. My dad was a professional sax player and he got a lot of work because he was such a good sight reader. I think once you knock that wall down you will be much better for it and enjoy the ability to play most anything you want.

Just got my new piano(Estonia 190)Saturday and it caused me to have a small revelation. The music desk on the grand is much higher than the one on my Kawai upright, so I can't watch my hands and play at the same time. Which is something that I was doing unconsiously and getting lost on the score. My teacher told me several times not to look at my hands many times and I could swear that I wasn't. So, now the realization that I was and didn't really need to look down is my little victory for now. Looking forward to more small light bulbs to go off in the future.

BTW I think your "shrink" frind is wrong, that doesn't happen until at least 80+ !!

Good luck with your wall.

FrankR \:D \:D \:D \:D

Frank
--------------------------
It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
86 registered (AndrewJCW, barbaram, angga888, AZNpiano, 20 invisible), 1250 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156080 Topics
2292015 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:55 AM
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
Today at 12:04 AM
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission