Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#942637 - 01/18/05 09:53 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
ken070749 Offline

DavidPJ,

Digital pianos are loved exactly as they were 7 or 8 years ago. They definitely have served a purpose. As you said, not everyone owned an acoustic before. Digital pianos are on the market, and people are buying. Maybe my ears are biased, but I think we need to put an end on the debate now.

Finally, let quote from a previous post
 Quote:
Good luck with it and your daughter's music! Stick around and let us know how she's doing.

Nina
Ken070749

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#942638 - 01/22/05 11:06 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

This message is for cobs (the fellow with the concert pianist father): please email me when your father gives a classical piano concert on an electric piano.

#942639 - 01/22/05 11:39 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

For David,

There's a disturbing trend these days that discounts anybody's advice if he is entrenched in a certain business (ie. is knowledgeable) and not "independent". Of course we should always analyze sources critically.

But if your surgeon told you you needed to have your gallbladder removed, would you be so cynical as to say, " Yeah. You would say that. You're only after my money, and besides that you're not independent"? Did you ever consider that she may have gone into surgery precisely because she knows a lot and cares a lot? It's good to get second and third opinions, but at a certain point, you have to yield to authority. It's a strength to do so.

I care so much about you and your daughter that I have waded through all these posts. I have no ulterior motives. I just want your daughter to have a real piano. If she asked for a bicycle, would you provide her with a stationary exercise bike?

O.K. ken you win. I'm through.

Toodles

#942640 - 01/23/05 06:53 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
ishldbpracticing88 Offline

Loc: SC
Hi David,

I am a teacher with about 50 or so students, and I have found electronic keyboards are good for the first two years of learning. After that, when their technique improves then they would need a weighted keyboard instrument, e.g. acoustic piano.

There is ONLY one advantage of an electronic keyboard, it is MUCH cheaper than an acoustic piano. also it is a safer option especially if its for a 5 year old kid, because alot of kids do give up because they have no interest in it after a couple of months, and if you're going to buy a piano, it would be like a good piece of furniture without ever being used.

My advice is to get the cheapest casio keyboard you can buy, and if the teacher is experienced enough, they would recognised if your kid is a natural in the first couple of weeks/months, THEN you should consider buying an acoustic piano.

Another option is renting a piano for the first year to see if your kid is interested it. Then maybe you can buy a piano after that? Just dont spend alot of money first up, because ALOT of kids DO GIVE up within the first year or so.

Hope this advice helps you.

I think that parents should exercise alot of care in seeing "if the your child is interested in it." Piano is almost always fun for kids for the first few months or a year. And then it gets a little harder. It requires more practice time, and it's just not new anymore. I went through that stage when I was about 12. I had been playing for two years. I hated piano. I wanted to quit. My mom told me to stick with it for a few more months and see what happened. I'm so glad a stayed with it. I could't imagine what would have happened if I would have quit in those few months of discouragement. I wouldn't be playing piano today, for one thing. Anyways, that's my opinion.

P.S. Rach rocks

#942641 - 01/23/05 01:40 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
a cheap electronic keyboard is not the same thing as a digital piano though. unless you know the difference, you could hardly make a judgement on this.

#942642 - 01/23/05 04:23 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
seebechstein Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: houston
I own both a full digital and an acoustic and I know the differences. I also shopped the new digitals when I bought my acoustic. I am not a dealer, teacher, or otherwise in the business, but I do love piano music.

There are a LOT of advantages the digital has over the acoustic. Yes, the most obvious is cost, but also portability and ease of moving the instrument, use of midi/computers, use of headphones during practice any hours of the day or night, no tuning or regulation required, no DamppChaser or environmental worries, I could go on... it's almost all upside on the digital side and almost all downside on the acoustic side. The acoustic piano has one main thing going for it: it is an acoustic piano, and the digital is not.

The argument about acoustics holding their value is fallacious. Let's say I buy a new Yamaha C3 acoustic for $28,000. Right now, a ten year old Yamaha C3 in great shape is worth $13,000 (see eBay) so over ten years it's a proposition that loses fifteen grand. If I bought a digital for $4,000 and it was WORTHLESS ten years later, then financially I would have been better off with the digital, only losing four grand instead of fifteen.

I do love the acoustic and it's practically all I play. I get to feel like a bigshot behind such a beautiful piano. But I should add that the reason I bought it was for my boy -- the piano teacher suggested an acoustic.

Congratulations DavidPJ on your new piano. Perhaps someday you will decide to buy a grand piano, but by that time your daughter may be able to voice preferences when you go shopping...

#942643 - 01/25/05 04:24 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
Piana Justice Offline

Loc: Greenville, NC
well, many may mean well when they say that the acoustic piano is better than the electronic or Clavinova [Yamaha], but my question is, what if you don't, like me, have the circumstantial means of owning an acoustic piano, as much as i want one? well, for example, i live in government housing, and don't have the room, enviromental factors, [dry natural gas heat during the winter, no central air, and therefore a very hot, humid house during the summer]nor the financial means to own an acoustic piano? if i do get a paino, then i'll probably rent one, from what i've been hearing up here.
to be honest, i think the acoustic grand piano owners on this forum have acted a little bigshot lately by posting threads like this. don't you know that threads like these [although i know that ignorance when it comes to which piano is best isn't bliss] make those of us who own digital, clavinova, whatever, feel bad and inadequete, even though it's not intentional. it's like you're telling us [those of us who are serious pianists at least] that we NEED an acoustic, never mind the fact that not all of us can have the means of getting one.
but don't think i'm feeling sorry for myself, but i've just got something to say. i do and can understand by experience that there's nothing like the feel of an acoustic piano, but do i really NEED one right now? besides, there's a time and place for everything. and you can do things with digitals that you can't do with acoustics. \:\)

#942644 - 01/25/05 08:14 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
cranky woman Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
The original question was:

Quote:
So I thought I would ask the teachers on this forum what they thought of a 5 year old learning on a Yamaha CLP-170 vs something like a low-end new Yamaha or Kawai acoustic upright? I'm referring to something in the $3000-$3500 price range. My intention is to have this instrument last her 5-10 years.[/b]
I don't believe there has been any intent on the part of these reponses to be a "bigshot". This question was posed to PIANO TEACHERS[/b] ......and how we feel a child should best learn, on an acoustic or digital. I, for one, taught on an acoustic upright for ten years before purchasing my acoustic grand, and my students have been successful on both. ( \:\) They do play better on the grand \:\) )

This question was not posed to just anyone who plays the piano. Several of those who answered this post were not qualified to do so,IMHO, as the question was directly related to TEACHING the piano to a young child and how that relates to their development as a pianist.

Your comment:

Quote:
it's like you're telling us [those of us who are serious pianists at least] that we NEED an acoustic, never mind the fact that not all of us can have the means of getting one.[/b]
Is not relevant to this particular thread. The original question was regarding which instrument would be better for his budget, not if he had the means at all.

Yes, there is a time and place for everything. I think you have taken offense where none was intended. Besides, no one can make you "feel" anything but you \:D

#942645 - 01/26/05 07:41 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by cranky woman:
I don't believe there has been any intent on the part of these reponses to be a "bigshot". This question was posed to PIANO TEACHERS[/b] ......and how we feel a child should best learn, on an acoustic or digital. I, for one, taught on an acoustic upright for ten years before purchasing my acoustic grand, and my students have been successful on both. ( \:\) They do play better on the grand \:\) )
[/b]
I don't think the original poster complained that badly, nor did I think the teachers were being "bigshot" (perhaps a little overly conservative, maybe.)

I did think the suggestion that a teacher refuse to teach a child who has only a digital was a bit on the highhanded side, though, wouldn't you agree? The opinion that it is preferable to buy an acoustic seems quite reasonable coming from a professional teacher. The refusal to teach does not. Scarlatti, after all, could never afford an acoustic piano and as far as is known never played one once, but still produced a good bit of music. Maybe his teacher should have refused to work with him.

#942646 - 01/26/05 03:24 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
ken070749 Offline

Quote:
I did think the suggestion that a teacher refuse to teach a child who has only a digital was a bit on the highhanded side[/b] , though, wouldn't you agree? The opinion that it is preferable to buy an acoustic seems quite reasonable coming from a professional teacher. The refusal to teach does not.[/b]
Where did you get that impression from? TimR?

Cranky Woman only said she would not teach a kid with access to an electric keyboard[/b] when Animato suggested a cheapest casio keyboard from a previous message.

#942647 - 01/26/05 03:47 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
JazzP120 Offline

#942648 - 01/26/05 05:44 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
cranky woman Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the clarification Ken!

I love teaching and have taught for several years, all types of students with many types of instruments. In my early days of teaching I did teach a few students with electric keyboards. What a disaster.

I have a great student retention rate ,the only ones who quit are students who move away, or high school seniors who get too busy. When I was taking students that practiced on a keyboard, I was lucky to get them to continue past a few months. It is too difficult for them to make the transition between electric keyboard and acoustic.

This is why I specify in my policy letter to prospective students this:

"The parent is to provide a piano in the best possible condition (keyboards and organs are not appropriate), a metronome, and a place allowing quiet and uninterrupted practice. Be helpful, interested and supportive!"

I also let parents know that I may not be the best teacher for everyone. If their goal is for their child to become a proficient pianist, then I may be the right choice for them. If their goal is for their child to "try it out and see if they like music", I may not be the best choice for their goals.

Back to the point at hand....if the parent has $3,000 to spend on an instrument, from a teachers perspective, I believe that the money is best spent on a quality acoustic. And yes, you can find a good acoustic for that amount of money.

#942649 - 01/26/05 07:19 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
I guess it all comes down to your definition of a keyboard as the following could all be considered in that category:

The Yamaha lineup

PSR line (49-76 key synth action arranger)

DGX-50x Portable Grand (basiclly a PSR but with 88 semi-weighted keys)

Pxxx series digital stage piano (a working musicians keyboard with 88 key weighted GH Piano action)

S08/S80/S90/Motif ES8: Portable Syth/Workstation with Balanced 88 key weighted action.

CLP/CVP Clavinova: RCM certified digital pianos with weighted GH/GH3 piano actions in an upright or mini grand cabinet (3 pedals).

Clearly these instruments are all intended for different audiences and some are intended for piano playing/practice while others are not.

I would assume that no teacher would recommend a piano student work with a PSR or DGX keyboard, and would only recommend an Sxx series as a starter. While a Pxxx series would suite a new student for a few years, it really is intended for a working musician and not a budding concert pianist. The Clavinaova line is directly intended and designed for piano study, and while you get what you pay for (lower/cheaper models sacrifice some realism in sound and touch) the best models are truely remarkable in their acoustic piano like qualities and should last a student (or any non-concert pianist) for many years.

Rodney

#942650 - 01/27/05 09:49 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
cobs Offline

Loc: London
 Quote:
Originally posted by Candyman:
This message is for cobs (the fellow with the concert pianist father): please email me when your father gives a classical piano concert on an electric piano. [/b]
He did a piano and violin recital on a Roland digital piano last year, actually. :p

(please scan all posts with bias scanner...)

#942651 - 01/27/05 11:32 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
My two cents on Digital. I've a Roland Classical Digital with Hammer action....etc.... (I do have daily access to an acoustic though)

The biggest advantage to me is to be able to use head phones to practice ANYTIME I choose without disturbing the rest of my household. If I owned an acoustic (which I would love to have also), my practice time would be limited to....hmm.....when no one was home or for short periods of time when practicing the same few bars of my current piece or study could be tolerated.......

#942652 - 01/27/05 01:51 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
Groggy60 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
 Quote:
I am a teacher with about 50 or so students, and I have found electronic keyboards are good for the first two years of learning. After that, when their technique improves then they would need a weighted keyboard instrument, e.g. acoustic piano.
Such misinformation is not helpful to anyone trying to make a decision on digital verses acoustic. Digital pianos do have have weighted keyboards. The nicer ones have better actions then any upright. Most even have 3 different weightings top, middle and bottom just like a grand piano does. The original question was about a digital piano, not a spring action synthesizer type keyboard.

Comparing spring action keyboards with weighted ones is meaningless, like comparing a grand piano with a harpsichord. There both mechanical with strings therefore they must be the same.

#942653 - 01/28/05 10:20 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
ken070749 Offline

This question is for Rodney [/b] and Cobs[/b].

Why are top-of-the-line digital pianos approved only for level 1 examinations by AMEB (Australian Music Examinations Board)?

Quote:
Candidates should consult the local AMEB office regarding the use of digital pianos for examination as there may be certain requirements to be considered. The AMEB will not[/b] provide digital pianos for examination, but studio teachers who offer their studios for examination may make use of their own approved digital piano for Level 1 (Preliminary to Fourth Grade)[/b] examinations.
Please visit their web site for details:

http://www.ameb.edu.au/exam/digital.html

#942654 - 01/28/05 12:48 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ken070749,

Let's start with the fact that very few of the approved instruments would currently be rated as top-of-the-line, while many of the older models certainly were in their day. Actually some of the most advanced aren't even listed but that's not surprising either as they are so new.

Piano examinations beyond grade 4 (Advanced) should be performed on an acoustic piano since the techniques being reviewed are not necessarily possible with all the approved digital instruments. That said, I do believe that the testing bodies will re-asses these level and instruments in the near future, with fewer being on the approved list, and supporting testing grade being increased.

While they say that "Examinations" for Advenced levels (5-8) must be done on an acoustic, it nowhere states or suggests that lessons and/or practice must/should be done on an acoustic.

Clearly the AMEB feels that a student can learn and practice on the approved digitals up to grade 4 (and likely beyond) even though many of the approved instruments are many years old and lack most of the features, realism and response of the newer models.

Quote from DavidPJ:

"So I thought I would ask the teachers on this forum what they thought of a 5 year old learning on a Yamaha CLP-170 vs something like a low-end new Yamaha or Kawai acoustic upright? I'm referring to something in the $3000-$3500 price range. My intention is to have this instrument last her 5-10 years."

First off the question relates to a new student (grade 0) (in this case VERY young but that really doesn't matter) learning on the latest and one of the most advanced digital pianos made. Clearly the AEMB and RCM both feet this type of instrument is more than appropriate and should be suitable at least until the student graduate from grade 4 (but likely beyond). Do the teachers in this forum disagree with these two well respected music education bodies??

I don't think anyone feels that the current crop of high-end digitals currently duplicate all the very subtle nuances of a well regulated and tuned piano, but for a large group of people (including piano students at or below grade 4 according to the AMEB), this simply doesn't matter. They are good enough!

When recorded music started to be deliverd on CD format, the vast majority of music collectors argued it just didn't sound the same as an LP. Well there are still a few audiophiles that insist on records played through a tube amp on $10k speakers but most of us regard them as eccentric; after all CDs are good enough.

I'm beginning to feel like I work as a salesman for the digital manufacturers (I don't).

Rodney

#942655 - 01/28/05 01:11 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
Paul Y Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashua, NH
Let me add this: The digital piano will NEVER replace the acoustic piano. It wasn't developed to do that! Yamaha came up with the idea in the early 80's as an instrument for "baby boomers" who didn't want to follow in their parent's footsteps by playing the organ (pretty smart, eh?)

Anyway, the digital piano is an instrument that could be construed as an "interim" instrument, certainly FAR better than just a "keyboard" (with no weighted action). The piano teacher's complaint about "electric pianos" is that the "keyboard" does not help develop muscles or strengthen little fingers during the early learning years. They'll allow it for a given time. But the lack of a weighted key combined with no working pedals gives them little hope of properly teaching piano technique!

Regarding loss of investment: While digital cameras change within 6 months (as do computers), digital pianos (at least the Yamaha Clavinova line) usually have a model lifespan of about 2 years. And while there might be just slight changes when the line is reconsidered, major breakthroughs are few and far between in this day and age. Changes are usually made to enable (Yamaha) to remain "ahead of the pack" in popularity and/or market share (of which they are far and away number one)!

Our store will give a digital piano buyer 2 years to trade a digital towards any acoustic during which they will get back the purchase price of their Clavinova.

So don't necessarily consider a digital piano as your last instrument. Approach it as more of an "interim" move. Once you are on your way to Broadway, then you can move into the world of acoustic instruments!

#942656 - 01/28/05 01:57 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

You make an interesting point Paul, but I would change Broadway to the Symphony Hall. Every time I go to a live musical production (at least for the last few years), the pianist are playing digitals. So far, I haven't seen anyone walk out of a show yet or complain that the piano sound in the music wasn't good enough.

Given the the vast majority of us adults or our children will NEVER achieve concert pianist skills or status, do we really need (I didn't say want) an acoustic piano. The best most of us could hope for is to be a working musician, and most of them use digitals today.

Again, my point is: it's just possible that the digitals have become "Good Enough" (at least for the masses and working musicians).

Rodney

#942657 - 01/29/05 03:51 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
barganax Offline

Loc: Oakland/Santa Fe
Apparently the electronic syllabuses are not available on the AMEB web site. Could someone shed some light on this? What is in Grade 4 and the higher grades? I have found the experience of playing on a good digital piano to be on par with a good acoustic piano for pieces such as Clair de Lune and Dr. Gradus ad Parnassum. What grade are these in the AMEB syllabuses?

Rodney wrote,
>I'm beginning to feel like I work as a salesman for the digital manufacturers (I don't).

If it is starting to feel that way, let me tell you that, from my standpoint, you certainly are not presenting an overly positive pitch to make a sale. I have read a lot of pro and con posts in this thread from various people, and your comments seem even-handed, not "gushing" about digital pianos.

Rodney wrote:
>Piano examinations beyond grade 4 (Advanced) should be performed on an acoustic piano since the techniques being reviewed are not necessarily possible with all the approved digital instruments.

If you discarded the approved digital instruments that are no longer top-of-the-line and just kept those that are (in my experience this would be something like a Roland model with escapement), then, what techniques being reviewed could not be performed on the digital instruments?

#942658 - 01/29/05 10:46 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
ken070749 Offline

Rodney,

I never said all of the digital pianos on AMEB's list are top of the line. But the one DavidPJ just bought, Yamaha CLP-170 was Yamaha's top of the line (current) from your opinion on January 17. CLP-170 is currently on AMEB's list.

posted by you on January 17, 2005 12:57 PM
 Quote:
I am definately not a teacher but I do have the oportunity to play several different types of acoustic and digital pianos on a regular basis (I personally have both). I have to say that some of the above ressponses are clearly uninformed to downright lauphable.

Modern (less than 2 years old) high quality (no not casio keyboards for children to play with as toys) digital pianos (not portable synthesizers with synth action keyboards) are truely remarkable instruments that are as good or better than most upright pianos in terms of quality of tone and action. Their actions are remarkable, and unlike many acoustics, actually consistant.

The specific model that DavidPJ mentions is Yamaha's top of the line (current) digital that is truely a remarkable instrument, and not some 10 year old keyboard based on obsolete technology.

Go to your the local Yamaha/Roland/Kawai dealer and try their CURRENT top models. I suspect tham many of you might actually change your opinions of digitals.

Sorry for the rant and it isn't my intention to offend anyone but it just appears that many posters opinions are uninformed or out of date.

Rodney
I was curious to know how you came to the conclusion that high quality digital pianos are as good or better than most upright pianos in terms of quality of tone and action if you rate AMEB grade 5 (above level 1) as advanced and you only like live musical productions (suppose there was one) played on digitals.

People have been coming to the Internet hype digital pianos for quite some years now. It has never stopped. You are laughable if you are not one of them.

#942659 - 01/29/05 11:02 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
ken070749 Offline

BTW, CD (recording) vs LD (recording) is a not a good analogy when it comes to real sound and recording.

#942660 - 01/29/05 11:15 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
tl91pink Offline

Loc: Midwest
I had worked really hard on a beautiful song to play for a choir to sing at a basketball tournament. I was going to play as the choir walked up and for their song. The piano they had set up for me to play was a digital piano. Well, I started to play when they walked up, and the piano got unplugged!! It stopped dead cold, and the girls were walking up in dead silence. By the time the cord was found that got unplugged (There were several extension cords around.), then when I started to play, there was no sustain, and this was a song with a lot of legato and needed sustain desperately. It sounded awful, like I was playing a cheap little casio keyboard with no sustain. I told the choir leader that next time I want a REAL piano!! (With a real (acoustical) piano, it could not just stop by getting unplugged, and the sustain would not just go off like that.)

#942661 - 01/29/05 11:25 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
JazzP120 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tl91pink:
I had worked really hard on a beautiful song to play for a choir to sing at a basketball tournament. I was going to play as the choir walked up and for their song. The piano they had set up for me to play was a digital piano. Well, I started to play when they walked up, and the piano got unplugged!! It stopped dead cold, and the girls were walking up in dead silence. By the time the cord was found that got unplugged (There were several extension cords around.), then when I started to play, there was no sustain, and this was a song with a lot of legato and needed sustain desperately. It sounded awful, like I was playing a cheap little casio keyboard with no sustain. I told the choir leader that next time I want a REAL piano!! (With a real (acoustical) piano, it could not just stop by getting unplugged, and the sustain would not just go off like that.) [/b]
So why does that make a digital piano horrible? What basically happened is when it got unplugged, you were probably using the damper pedal, and it reversed the polarity. That is why there was no sustain.

Just out of curiosity, what make was the digital piano?

Chris

#942662 - 01/30/05 03:18 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by ken070749:
 Quote:
I did think the suggestion that a teacher refuse to teach a child who has only a digital was a bit on the highhanded side[/b] , though, wouldn't you agree? The opinion that it is preferable to buy an acoustic seems quite reasonable coming from a professional teacher. The refusal to teach does not.[/b]
Where did you get that impression from? TimR?

Cranky Woman only said she would not teach a kid with access to an electric keyboard[/b] when Animato suggested a cheapest casio keyboard from a previous message. [/b]
If that was her intent then I apologize. I thought she meant any keyboard.

I did not notice that she made any distinction between keyboards. The original question was whether a top of the line $3,000 digital piano would be good enough for a 5 year old.

The answer from most of you seems to be no. (Maybe you really mean a cheap Casio keyboard is not good enough for someone about to enter a conservatory.)

You are entitled to your opinion but I find it less than convincing.

My daughter started taking lessons with only a spring action keyboard to practice on. Her teacher didn't like this, nor did my daughter, because at each lesson she had to get used to a real keyboard. We bought a digital piano with real weighted keys and three real pedals, and her progress has been much faster since, even though it is not the top of the line (not a cheap one either.) There is no detectable difference in feel going to the teacher's piano. On the other hand the teacher does not have a grand. It's a small acoustic, I think you call it a spinet?

#942663 - 01/30/05 11:26 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
cobs Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ken070749:
This question is for Rodney [/b] and Cobs[/b].

Why are top-of-the-line digital pianos approved only for level 1 examinations by AMEB (Australian Music Examinations Board)?

Quote:
Candidates should consult the local AMEB office regarding the use of digital pianos for examination as there may be certain requirements to be considered. The AMEB will not[/b] provide digital pianos for examination, but studio teachers who offer their studios for examination may make use of their own approved digital piano for Level 1 (Preliminary to Fourth Grade)[/b] examinations.
Please visit their web site for details:

http://www.ameb.edu.au/exam/digital.html [/b]
Ok. Well I feel it futile to reiterate my own views on the use of digital pianos once again, and it seems like I concur with Rodney's views in this post anyway.

But I'm happy to give a direct argument to your question:

(a) Who says that what the AMEB or any music examination board says about digitals is necessarily good advice? We're talking about personal opinions here.

(b) Or, if you do think that such organisations are in a good position to judge, a view that I can understand perfectly well... Then here are TWO of the largest international examining boards who both say that a digital piano can be used for ALL piano exams up to and including UK Grade 8.

The 'Associated Board'

http://www.abrsm.org/?page=exams/gradedMusicExams/pianoGenRegs.html

Trinity/Guildhall Exams, London

http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/_downloads/Guildhall/EntryMaterial/Exam_Regulations.pdf

(look at Section 4.4.c)

I cannot find the terms and conditions of the American RCM, but they endorse Yamaha digital/acoustic pianos, so I would guess they agree with the two above.

So in summary, either exam boards don't know what theyre talking about, or if they do: then so far we have found 1 that agrees with using digitals for the first few piano grades, and 2 (or maybe 3) that agree with digitals for ALL piano grades. I look forward to your response, ken070749.

#942664 - 01/30/05 11:32 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
cobs Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Y:
Let me add this: The digital piano will NEVER replace the acoustic piano. It wasn't developed to do that! Yamaha came up with the idea in the early 80's as an instrument for "baby boomers" who didn't want to follow in their parent's footsteps by playing the organ (pretty smart, eh?)
[/b]
You're right in saying that they werent ORIGINALLY developed to replace real pianos. (although I think it was Roland first not Yamaha?)

That was because the technology at the time would not have allowed a digital to made that could ever replace an acoustic. Times have changed however - 20 years later, the sound is far better, as is the action of the keyboard on digitals. As you can see from this entire thread, some people (not all, obviously) would be of the opinion that the latest and best digital piano models can sometimes be a perfectly good substitute.

#942665 - 01/30/05 11:34 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
cobs Offline

#942666 - 01/30/05 11:35 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
cobs Offline

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
161 registered (accordeur, 36251, anrpiano, alfredo capurso, 55 invisible), 1732 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153708 Topics
2253294 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Acoustics and Piano Positioning
by PNO40
04/24/14 05:49 PM
Is this the room to talk about the Yamaha PSR's ?
by MacGuy
04/24/14 05:43 PM
Where can I test a Kawai VPC-1?
by jp2011
04/24/14 05:43 PM
Schimmel Mod. 150 - NR
by Rudy99golf
04/24/14 05:42 PM
Practing songs vs. doing excersises
by cowchin12
04/24/14 05:25 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission