Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
116 registered (ando, anamnesis, ABC Vermonter, 36251, Anita Potter, accordeur, 38 invisible), 1410 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#942667 - 01/30/05 03:07 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
2MP Offline

Loc: Hawaii
I'm not a teacher, but have a couple of kids who started playing when they were six years old. Started with a decent digital piano (not a cheap keyboard) and they progressed well for 5 years. Would they have done better on a comparably priced acoustic? Who knows, but their teachers had no problem with them practicing on a digital piano - until recently, when they gently suggested that we should consider an acoustic because of their progress. Advantages of the digital - ability to use headphones to practice early in the morning without bothering anyone, no need for semi-annual or annual tunings, doesn't take much space, decent touch and sound (the kids like the feel of the digital better than several new acoustic pianos we looked at recently). While we're upgrading to a good quality grand, it would have been difficult to justify the investment when they were just starting out. But in answer to the original question, I would not hesitate to start a 5 year old on a digital.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#942668 - 01/30/05 03:51 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
ken070749 Offline

Cobs,

Firstly, I don't argue with people about whose opinion to listen to when it comes down to digital vs acoustic.

Secondly, a digital piano simply can not[/b] be as good as or better than most of upright pianos as Rodney claimed in his original message which you have seconded. AMEB review every single model of digital pianos submitted for approval. It might be "laughable" to some people that none of the teachers here played CLP 170. However AMEB's position are quite clear that "top of the line" CLP 170 is not good enough.

Thirdly, ABRSM's allowing digital pianos for exams does not imply that they agree with you that "modern digital pianos are as good as or better than most of upright pianos". Their requirements of an instrument as a piano are actually very lenient:

Quote:
a clearly recognizable piano tone, a touch-sensitive keyboard with full-size weighted keys, and an action, compass and facilities which match those of an ordinary piano, including a sustaining pedal.
I have no doubt in my mind that a $150 yard sale acoustic (in tune and a technician may say it needs to be regulated or even voiced before use)no matter how horrible the sound is will be accepted by ABRSM for exam purpose, so is a digital piano made 8 years ago.

ABRSM's regulation by no means support the claim that modern (top of the line) digital pianos have made some significant improvements. You have to believe this: sound played back through a few small speakers is not going to be as good as the original (even though it was sampled from a very good acoustic). If a person can not tell the difference with his/her ear, then he/she should respect a professional piano teacher's opinion.

#942669 - 01/30/05 04:57 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
Piana Justice Offline

Loc: Greenville, NC
-thank you, MP1, Ken, JazzP120, Sandy Moore, and all of the others who think that digitals [or Clavinovas] are just as good as the acoustics. i needed to that point reinforced.
-i'm sure that those kind of pianos will meet my musical needs for years to come. where have some of you been? living under a rock? digital pianos are [from what i've heard so far] more advanced than ever.
-besides, i've always loved the Rhodes piano, and why go out and buy one when you can get 2-in-one with a Clavinova, which has both features? besides, they don't require as much maintainance as acoustics. [just read Larry Fine's book, 'the Piano Book'] there is just so much info in that book, that my brain's scattered. [literally!!!]
-and like i said again, you can do things with a digital that you can't do with an acoustic, like hook headphones to it, so that you won't disturb anyone in your household. it also has several modes to it [Rhodes, vibes, celesta, piano, etc.]

#942670 - 01/31/05 07:47 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
cobs Offline

Loc: London
 Quote:
Originally posted by ken070749:
Cobs,

Firstly, I don't argue with people about whose opinion to listen to when it comes down to digital vs acoustic.

Secondly, a digital piano simply can not[/b] be as good as or better than most of upright pianos as Rodney claimed in his original message which you have seconded. AMEB review every single model of digital pianos submitted for approval. It might be "laughable" to some people that none of the teachers here played CLP 170. However AMEB's position are quite clear that "top of the line" CLP 170 is not good enough.

Thirdly, ABRSM's allowing digital pianos for exams does not imply that they agree with you that "modern digital pianos are as good as or better than most of upright pianos". Their requirements of an instrument as a piano are actually very lenient:

Quote:
a clearly recognizable piano tone, a touch-sensitive keyboard with full-size weighted keys, and an action, compass and facilities which match those of an ordinary piano, including a sustaining pedal.
I have no doubt in my mind that a $150 yard sale acoustic (in tune and a technician may say it needs to be regulated or even voiced before use)no matter how horrible the sound is will be accepted by ABRSM for exam purpose, so is a digital piano made 8 years ago.

ABRSM's regulation by no means support the claim that modern (top of the line) digital pianos have made some significant improvements. You have to believe this: sound played back through a few small speakers is not going to be as good as the original (even though it was sampled from a very good acoustic). If a person can not tell the difference with his/her ear, then he/she should respect a professional piano teacher's opinion. [/b]
You seem to have ignored my point - that if one is to use the opinion of exam boards to make their decision, then ABRSM, Trinity/Guildhall, and maybe RCM all say that a digital piano is fine for taking any piano exam. Only AMEB disagree. This is fact.

What you say about the lack of significant improvements (and about sound from 'small speakers') however, is purely subjective. Myself and others disagree completely, we've already explained why WE like digitals, and you've said why you haven't, there is nothing really more to be said on that particular point. I'd rather we just concentrated on the issue of examining boards for the moment, the one which you brought up.

(please scan all posts with bias scanner...)

#942671 - 01/31/05 09:57 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
WOW.... Let's not turn this discussion into a brawl.

I think it's worth while presenting many different opinions so that the oringinal poster get a broad view of the capabilities, advantages and disadvantages of all instrument options.

Ken,

(my opinion) of upright pianos isn't very favorable but again is just (my opinion). Different instruments effect/inspire people differently.
I have tried dozens of uprights of many different makes (both new and used) and haven't found one yet that I like (either feel or sound). This can also be said of several grands and digitals as well (but not all).

There have seen/played some remarkable Grands that if I had won a lottery would be in my home today but sadly I can only afford one (well maybe 2 if I can save a few more pennies). Several digital instruments are already in my home because they also moved me.

FYI

I have a synth, stage piano, keyboard workstation, a tone generator/module, digital piano and an acoustic grand piano, as well as several soft sampled pianos that run on a dedicated computer all in a home studio. I hope you'll understand that I have some small amount of experience with the entire range of instruments we've discussed here.

This discussion seemed to have turned south because some of the responants lumped all of the different digital instruments together with the blanket statement that these are not apporpriate for learning to play piano. This information is VERY misleading and quite frankly un-informed.

Now it is obvious that many well respected testing bodies now accept digital pianos (notice I didn't write synth, stage piano, or workstation)are good enough for performing examinations (yet they may differ on the specific grade level allowed). If one can take an examination at that level then clearly they feel it MUST be good enough to practice on.

Finally let me make a little prediction (just to stir things up a little more). Digital instruments have brought the piano (as well as many other instrument voices) to the masses and will continue to do so at an accelerated pace. Their advantages (price not being the least) makes all of the arguments presented here almost mute, except to the purests who just have to have an original acoustic (I'm also one of those). Perhaps the question will soon be: "Do teachers feel there is any reason I should purchase an acoustic (other than nostalgia)? Everything has its time and eventually is replaced by an evolution of technology. Even the piano was a replacement for the Harpsichord and Clavichord and not to many people own those today. Digitals instruments (here it come...) WILL replace the acoustic piano as the prefered instrument in most households (if they haven't already).

Can a digital piano today faithfully duplicate all the subtle nuances of touch and tone that a high quality acoustic can...

NO!!!

Yet there are literlly thousands of things that can be done with a digital instrument that can't be done by an acoustic. Besides, can a piano today faithfully duplicate the touch and tone of its predecessors.... Obviously not and nor would you want it to.

Now if you or your child were well on their way to concert pianist stardom, then I would be the first to say RUN (don't walk) to your nearest (Your favorite piano brand here) dealer and purchase the biggest/best Grand piano that you can afford. For the rest of us (I suspect 99.9...%) a digital is good enough, and offers many other advantages that just can't be ignored. Besides, in the future, acoustic pianos may become a butique item that only a very few will even want and we'll arguing if the next new thing is good enough to replace our digitals.

I'm stepping off my soapbox now. :-)

Time to go and play something... Will it be on a synth, digital piano or acoustic today?.... tough decision,... I think I'll play on the digital stage piano,... after all I learned on it so I can't be good enough for the Grand. (Sorry, I just had to add a smart#@@ remark)

Rodney

#942672 - 01/31/05 10:34 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
ken070749 Offline

Cobs and Rodney,

I never said digital pianos are good for nothing. And I sincerely respect your passion for digital pianos.

Peace,

Ken070749

#942673 - 01/31/05 10:43 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
cobs Offline

Well, this forum needed a bit of action!

Now, who wants to discuss politics...? :p

#942674 - 01/31/05 11:11 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
Or religion, oh wait.... this was religion.

#942675 - 02/01/05 12:39 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
DavidPJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm responsible for starting this "lively post" on digital vs. acoustic pianos for my 5 year old daughter. It's been a while since I looked at this thread and today I was surprised to see the discussion still going on. Obviously many people on both sides feel very strongly about their preferences.

First of all, thanks for the many comments, from both teachers and non-teachers. As many have pointed out, there are pros and cons for both kinds of pianos, and I think one has to look at their own particular situation and decide which piano, acoustic or digital, is best for them.

For me, and my 5 year old, the Yamaha Clavinova is an excellent solution. I couldn't be more happy with it. I'm in awe how good the Grand Piano voice sounds with iAFC for spacial reverberations and resonances. The new natural feel GH3 grade weighted keys are remarkable. I like the piano so much that I've also begun learning to play. The many added benefits of this digital make learning very enjoyable. And my dealer thinks highly of the CLP-170 too; they gave me a 3 year 100% trade credit towards any piano, digital or acoustic.

However, I recognize that in 5 years my CLP-170 will be considered old technology. But that's fine. At that time I can re-evaluate pianos, my daughter's interest, and my interest, and decide if we're going to take this any further. Maybe at that time we'll decide to keep the CLP-170 and purchase a good quality baby grand. Or, maybe a new digital will be the solution.

Either way, my daughter and I now have one very fine piano to begin instruction. And this piano gives us incredible flexibility to learn with and enjoy, along with an extremely slim possibility of any maintenance costs. The CLP-170 is warranted for 5 years. And the piano is always in tune.

If she outgrows it at grade 5, so be it. For 5 years we had the pleasure of a fine instrument that is played by professionals. I'll just be happy that she's excelled so well that her skills demand a better piano. I couldn't ask for more.

#942676 - 02/02/05 09:27 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
Vintagefingers Offline

Loc: SE
 Quote:
I like the piano so much that I've also begun learning to play.
David, that is the best testimony for making a wise choice for you. The most important thing is engaging your daughter and as an added benefit, yourself, to the joy of making music. I agree with most of the teachers who concur that anyone who plays long enough will likely end up with an acoustic AND maybe keep a digital for fun as well.

I am a beginner, a little more than one year, so I wouldn't attempt to answer this except for myself. A while back I indicated to my teacher that I was having a vintage Chickering grand rebuilt. He immediately asked what I was going to do with the Kimball console I currently own. It seems many of his students are playing on keyboards and digitals and would rather own an acoustic. I have listened and even played a very expensive Kawai (7,500.00, yikes!!!) It did everthing but dry the dishes, quite impressive, BUT it somehow sounded different than an acoustic piano. YMMV, but that was my impression, I couldn't warm up to it. Playing was fun but there was no justification for the price in my mind. Of course the dealer was trying to push these instruments, higher markups, no set-up costs and the potential for upgrading customers to the latest and greatest. He later confided to me that acoustic pianos don't pay the bills in our market. He also indicated that most people that buy digital units are doing so for the various convenience reasons these instruments offer. For a 5 year old there is plenty of time to consider an acoustic instrument in the future if that is where it goes.

A bit off topic for RODNEY

Your cd vs vinyl analogy is indeed very funny. This topic is a continuing ongoing debate among many audiophiles and it is amusing to me as well. I have both and keep a tt because I won't get rid of my record collection. But I am going to get serious about one of your points, don't dismiss tubes as an amplifying device until you've heard a great Output Transformless (OTL)tube amp. It makes the vast majority of solid state devices sound quite strident and compressed in comparison. It also shows the bandwidth limitations of transformer coupled tube amps. If the objective is reproducing music as close to the recording and performance as possible, I find these amplifiers the very best for that purpose.

#942677 - 02/02/05 12:25 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
Paul Y Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashua, NH
To DavidPJ: As a former Yamaha employee for 20 years, I have been around since the inception of the first digital piano in 1983 by Yamaha (sorry COBS, Yamaha holds the earliest weighted key digital piano, the YP-40?). The CLP 170 has taken the industry by storm because if the built in and active microphone system (thus simulating the acoustics of a grand piano. It is a terrific instrument. By the way, new Clavinovas are warranteed for 5 years parts, 1 year labor (not 3).

I wrote earlier in this discussion that digitals were never meant to replace an acoustic piano! They don't and they never will! However, having said that, they have a certain niche in the industry for those who cannot (for space reasons, financial reasons or those who live in apartments) forsee investing many thousands of dollars for a piano for little Susie who might give it up in 2 years! I said it was a terrific "interim" choice for many. Once parents see that their child is serious and will continue, then they can consider an acoustic for their home.

Years ago, piano teachers chringed at the thoughts of their students playing digital pianos! However, since so many parents purchased "keyboards" (Casio or Yamahas, touch sensitive but NOT weighted keys) which failed to develop their students finger muscles, teachers are finally realizing that digital pianos are alright as the "interim" piano. They are certainly FAR better than the "keyboard" idea!

Do they take the place of an acoustic? Certainly not! But Yamaha's little idea back in 1983 has led to today's industry dollars totalling nearly $50 million annually.

Finally, I believe that digital pianos have enabled a huge portion of the world to reconsider taking up playing the piano as a hobby! They are easy to find, they're affordable, transportable (somewhat), need no maintenance or tuning and they can practice in private, using headphones! The "piano purists" still turn their noses up at the word "digital". But that's okay! There's a saying perhaps many of you know here in the music industry: "there's an a-- for every bench!" The digital piano is not for eveyone! But for those who like them, there's nothing better!

#942678 - 02/03/05 06:17 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
DavidPJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Paul Y, thank for the message. It's reassuring to hear the CLP-170 is selling so well.

Thanks for correcting my warranty statement. I was thinking of the Kawai that I looked it briefly, which is warranted for 3 years. For accuracy I corrected my post to show 5 years instead of 3.

#942679 - 02/03/05 12:50 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
cobs Offline

And here in the UK we get 2 years parts, 2 years labour.

#942680 - 03/01/05 06:58 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
ProPianoGuyBC Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Y:
I have been around since the inception of the first digital piano in 1983 by Yamaha (sorry COBS, Yamaha holds the earliest weighted key digital piano, the YP-40?). [/b]
Sorry to break it to both of you guys, but 1974 brought the Roland EP-30 to the world. The EP-30 was the first weighted, touch sensitive, electric piano to be made commercially available.

PPBC

#942681 - 03/06/05 10:57 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
ljohnson Offline

Loc: USA
David, Your post mentioning number 7 in your list, regarding the richness, feel and authenticity of the acoustic should be evidence enough that your daughter should have the benefit of a good acoustic. Why else would anyone want an instrument? Having played both digital and acoustic, having taught on digitals and acoustics for several decades ( I am 47!) I know that there is a distinct difference in the two. While digitals have their place, there ain't nothin' like the real thing!

#942682 - 03/08/05 06:46 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
mxs Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
It's been kind of shocking to read how much misinformation was presented in this thread by some teachers.

I have a lot of respect for any musical teacher, but if you guys have lost track of the digital piano development or were never interested in the first place you should politely withold your comments as they could create more harm than good, especially if a newbie is looking for an opinion.

DavidPJ, congrats on your new piano. It's funny how you started to play piano because it reminds me so much of my piano story.

Play away

Marek

#942683 - 03/08/05 06:47 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
mxs Offline

It's been kind of shocking to read how much misinformation was presented in this thread by some teachers.

I have a lot of respect for any musical teacher, but if you guys have lost track of the digital piano development or were never interested in the first place you should politely withold your comments as they could create more harm than good, especially if a newbie is looking for an opinion.

DavidPJ, congrats on your new piano. It's funny how you started to play piano because it reminds me so much of my piano story.

Play away and have fun.

Marek

#942684 - 03/12/05 03:01 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
cobs Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ljohnson:
David, Your post mentioning number 7 in your list, regarding the richness, feel and authenticity of the acoustic should be evidence enough that your daughter should have the benefit of a good acoustic. Why else would anyone want an instrument? Having played both digital and acoustic, having taught on digitals and acoustics for several decades ( I am 47!) I know that there is a distinct difference in the two. While digitals have their place, there ain't nothin' like the real thing! [/b]
Um, scroll up?

#942685 - 03/14/05 09:23 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
Piana Justice Offline

Loc: Greenville, NC
well, now, after someone cleared up all of the B.S. and misinfo, i can now go out and get a digital piano w/o piece of mind. i just hope someone doesn't give anymore unsound advice or tales about digital pianos, especially if they never owned one or just have an acoustic in their home. i just want the bigshots out there to know that digital pianos have improved since the 80s.

#942686 - 03/14/05 02:58 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
snake Offline

Loc: uk
unless i missed it in the thread no one has mentioned wether a digital piano is suitable for pop jazz blues etc rather than classical piano pieces which im sure require extreme nuances of touch.
Would some teachers please comment?
thanks

#942687 - 03/14/05 07:58 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
ProPianoGuyBC Offline

snake,

An argument can be made that jazz and pop require as much nuance as any classical music. Only you can decide whether or not the digital is right for you!
IMHO a digital piano is a perfectlty acceptable instrument for almost any purpose!

PPBC

#942688 - 03/15/05 09:46 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
cobs Offline

I agree with PPBC, there's no real difference between playing pop/jazz/blues and classical.

They all require a high level of technique, which a modern digital piano is more than adequate for, IMO.

#942689 - 03/16/05 12:54 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
musiclady Offline

Hello, been lurking for a while, first-time poster to this forum...

I think a good-quality digital piano is a valid option. I myself would rather play a good digital piano than most acoustic pianos, and, in fact, I love the Yamaha Clavinova.

A digital piano is a great choice for people who live in townhomes or apartment buildings, where there are likely to be noise control restrictions, or space is limited. I know some people really like the fact that with digital pianos you can practice without disturbing anyone.

Meri

#942690 - 03/16/05 02:51 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
snake Offline

Loc: uk
tried a few new upright painos and one baby grand, the sound was fine but i hated the feel of the action on all of them.
In conclusion I much prefer my cvp 305

#942691 - 03/30/05 10:33 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
princessclara2005 Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by snake:
unless i missed it in the thread no one has mentioned wether a digital piano is suitable for pop jazz blues etc rather than classical piano pieces which im sure require extreme nuances of touch.
Would some teachers please comment?
thanks [/b]
Play jazz/blue, a digital piano is just fine, on top of that, a good one will have a wide range of song-writing and orchestration function, which allows you to record different layers of voices, so much like a one-man band.

However, even with a much improved digital piano, the imitated weight-oriented action, the material is still different when you compare a digital and an acustic.

Digital pianos are programmed and computlized, it records the action of a weight sensitivity, any action on an acustic is completely done by a live person.

Either you like digital, or acustic, that's really a personal choice, to me, I like a heavy action piano on the acustic, all digitals key actions feel way too light for me.

#942692 - 03/30/05 06:38 PM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
barganax Offline

Loc: Oakland/Santa Fe
princessclara2005 wrote:
>I like a heavy action piano on the acustic,
>all digitals key actions feel way too light for me

I have never before heard such a complaint in regard to a modern digital piano with a weighted graded hammer action. In fact, I was under the impression that most such digitals have a somewhat heavier downweight than many acoustics. That is the reason that I prefer Roland -- it is the digital with the lightest action among Roland/Yamaha/Kawai, the closest to what I would want in an acoustic. But if a person doesn't like light, I would simply advise to choose Yamaha or Kawai. If a person wants a very heavy action, I suppose one solution is to buy an acoustic and have it adjusted.

#942693 - 03/31/05 10:46 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
princessclara2005 Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by barganax:
If a person wants a very heavy action, I suppose one solution is to buy an acoustic and have it adjusted. [/b]
Yup, I have alway played on a heavy actioned acoustic, my fingers got used to that touch, it's hard to change my preference over years of training with that.

The often happen situtation, my fast running scales sounded out of control over a light-action keys....which always make me mad.

#942694 - 04/01/05 08:43 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
Wombat66 Offline

Loc: Cornwall UK
I've enjoyed following this thread so much I have been moved to throw in my first ever posting.
My wife bought me a Roland 3 years ago, following which I returned to learning the piano after a break of 27 years, hoping to advance beyond the heights of grade 1 (with merit!) that I previously achieved.
For a year or so my sister and piano teacher were encouraging me to get an accoustic so I have just bought a yamaha C2.
I love playing the yamaha, but the missus and kids keep coming up with a pair of headphones and telling me to shut up and go back to the Roland. If any acoustic piano owner has space and money the considerate thing to do is own a digital and pair of headphones to complement their pride and joy.

#942695 - 04/03/05 09:02 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
it seems this thread never going to die...

anyway, regarding the touch of digital/acoustic, i would say that it depends on what digital/acoustic. i have a Yamaha digital, but when i visited my friend who has a Yamaha acoustic (U1), i actually felt the action on U1 much lighter than my digital's. on the other hand, i played on a Steinway baby grand and an upright before and felt the actions 'heavy'.

#942696 - 04/04/05 07:42 AM Re: What do teachers think of digital vs. acoustic
TimR Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Apparently the digitals are much more rugged than the acoustics.

People who play the acoustics loudly in church break strings all the time.

See the thread about "Do I need a lawyer" in the Piano Tuner-Technicians forum.

(Of course you don't have to hit a digital hard, you just turn the amp up. I know that. I didn't know that acoustics broke so often.)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to learn everything and anything about piano?
by MrMusicianship
12/22/14 07:22 PM
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
12/22/14 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
12/22/14 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
12/22/14 04:34 PM
Is this now real enough?
by Philip_Johnston
12/22/14 04:21 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160067 Topics
2350637 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission