Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#942721 - 08/03/04 05:46 PM Being Musical
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

I remarked to a violinist whom I'm accompanying and his mother that he is musical. She wanted to know what I meant by that. I listed several aspects: that the music has direction, that you're expressing something and not just playing the notes, that you sometimes linger on certain notes etc.. I added that for those who are not considered musical, it would be hard to learn anything from being labelled non-musical. I feel you either are or are not musical. Please add your definition of musical and its implications.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#942722 - 08/03/04 06:05 PM Re: Being Musical
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
I hope it's OK for me to post in here: I'm not a teacher.

To me, when a musical person plays, it sounds like communication; the piece is coherent in every sense. I believe musicality can be taught (to a degree) through good use of the body and voice.

#942723 - 08/03/04 06:27 PM Re: Being Musical
ballad3 Offline

Loc: mississauga.ON
hmm im not a teacher yet either..
i think that people can be 'musical' in various ways, for example, i believe that everyone is able to express their emotions/feelings through a form of music, whether it's trhough an instrument, rhythm, or whatsoever..however i guess there is quite a bit of ..'genetics' in there..but then it also has alot to do with one's culture background as well as how someone's brought up.

#942724 - 08/19/04 10:31 AM Re: Being Musical
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Nor am I a teacher, but to tell some one to play with emotion is too non-specific. Better to have them "tell a story" based on the type of piece. For example for the Happy Farmer by Schumann, maybe there has been a drought and the crops are wilting the farmer may lose his crop and be ruined. Suddenly the skys open up and a nice steady rain falls. The farmer, his wife, childen all start dancing in the mud, laughing with joy and relief. That is the path to emotion, rather than "imagine a farmer that is happy".
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

#942725 - 08/22/04 09:35 AM Re: Being Musical
Tickle The Ivories88 Offline

Loc: Maine
I think that musical is being able to understand music in ways others cant, like having a special gift for music, or being a natural, and yes I agree that you have to put feeling into music or love the music you play...

#942726 - 09/16/04 06:36 AM Re: Being Musical
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Sorry to bring a dying thread alive again.. I was at home last weekend and I was playing a couple of Chopin pieces and a Schumann piece for my Grandma and mom. I've been a musician (bass player) for the past 10 years, and have only been studying classical piano seriously for the past year.

Anyway - when I was young (5-8 yrs I think) I took piano lessons, as did my older brother, but he continued with them for much longer than I did. I "hated them" 'cause I was forced and quit early, leaving me barely any recollection of those lessons to this day. My older brother is also a mathematical genius (earned his PhD in math by the time he was 26 I believe and now is a university professor at 30) There is a handful of piano pieces which he can play from memory, and he can sit in front of a piece of sheet music and pick it out much faster than I can at this point (even though he isn't actively practicing) As I recall, he was also a clarinet player in the high school jazz/orchestras etc..

But the one comment I keep hearing from my grandma, and most everybody else who has a chance to hear us both play, is that "Paul is so expressive with his playing, David just has no ear for that".. it's like his playing is very mechanical, almost an extension of the mathematical brain doing nothing but translating the notes on the score.. He'll be playing along, the Rustles of Spring or something like that comes to mind, and it doesn't grab attention. I played something as simple as Chopin Prelude in Eminor, and my grandma was brought to tears. I am no math genius, but I am a software engineer by day.. My mom will say "even when you were hating piano lessons as a kid, we all knew you had an ear".

am I "musical" and my brother "not musical"? It's entirely subjective of course, but interesting nonetheless.

-Paul

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
Today at 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
Today at 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Who's Online
123 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, 0987654321, A Guy, 38 invisible), 1514 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76653 Members
42 Forums
158488 Topics
2327555 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission