Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#943138 - 10/14/05 02:58 PM First Lesson-Teacher Seems To Be Very Hard Of Hearing
Sipry Offline

Loc: Arizona
My first lesson was today and I'm a bit "apprehensive".....It is very clear to me that my teacher is very hard of hearing. Speaking with her was very difficult, with many lapses because she simply did not hear what I was saying. Now, I just cannot see how she can teach if she has such a hearing problem. Is it possible that even though she cannot hear well in "speaking", she can hear notes on the piano? I found that I had to repeat what I was saying over and over - all the while I was practically yelling. All in all, it wasn't a very good experience. Now, I'm trying to decide if I should stay with her for a bit longer or should end it now.....

Any words of wisdom? Thanks so much, Sipry

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#943139 - 10/14/05 03:08 PM Re: First Lesson-Teacher Seems To Be Very Hard Of Hearing
Hobie Offline

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Whoa....That's a new one. Well obviously somebody has to tell her to get a hearing aid! I think if you could communicate in a gentle way that her hearing loss is affecting her ability to teach effectively you would be doing her a favor. It is difficult for anyone with a gradual loss in hearing to decide when it is time to take the next step. I'm sure after she gets a set of hearing aids she'll recognize for herself how bad it had gotten. Good luck!!

#943140 - 10/15/05 08:58 AM Re: First Lesson-Teacher Seems To Be Very Hard Of Hearing
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
This is a difficult situation. It would be interesting to know how you came accross this teacher. Is she well respected, reccomended, highly qualified? The chances are she has been a very good teacher but as Hobie says may not be that aware of the problem or doesn't want to confront it. I think I would be kind and tell her you think her hearing could be a problem without criticising her ability to teach. At the end of the day though you say your first lesson was not a good experience which is sad. If you feel very uncofortable then make your excuses (lack of time, it's not for me etc.) and go elsewhere.

#943141 - 10/15/05 04:20 PM Re: First Lesson-Teacher Seems To Be Very Hard Of Hearing
Sipry Offline

This teacher was recommended to me by a teacher who was my first choice - But, she has a waiting list. I was told that her students seemed to be very well trained and they were loyal to her. Other than that, I really did not have much to go on. I don't live in a large town and there doesn't seem to be alot of qualified teachers. Both teachers are members of the local Guild but the teacher with the hearing problem never attends meetings. But, there were more problems yesterday - she was extremely cold, abrupt - pretty much grilled me on my previous teachers methods. She was very negative about how I was previously taught. She was late to the lesson (and I have since found out that this is typical of her). It basically was a very uncomfortable experience - she may very well be a good teacher (aside from the hearing problem) but her demeanor made me feel very uncomfortable.

I understand what you are both saying that it would be a kindness to tell her about her hearing loss, but I really don't feel comfortable being the one to do it. If I had decided that the hearing loss was the only problem, I probably would have. There were more issues but I don't want to go into them. Suffice it to say, I really don't think she would have taken it well. But, since the entire experience was a bad one,I did decide to let her know it wasn't going to work out.

I have one more teacher to try and if that doesn't work out, I'll simply wait for an opening with my original choice. In the meantime, I'll continue to work on my own.

Thanks so much for your thoughts, Sipry

#943142 - 10/15/05 04:35 PM Re: First Lesson-Teacher Seems To Be Very Hard Of Hearing
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Sounds like you made the right decision. That teacher might have a lot of good qualities, but it seems like nearly every aspect of your two lessons with her were negative. Not an auspicious beginning and you were wise to cut your losses.

It is very hard to persuade someone to get hearing aids. My father-in-law has needed hearing aids since I met him (18 years ago). It took us 17 1/2 years of delicate hints ("It seems like you're having trouble hearing the conversation; have you had your hearing tested lately?"), bribes ("we'll buy them for you"), and outright nagging ("you know you have a hearing problem; when are you going to go get hearing aids?") before he went out and did it. Of course, within a week he had adjusted to them and said he hadn't realized how much he was missing. He noted particularly that listening to music was much more pleasurable as he was hearing more of the high notes.

Anyway, I hope you are able to find a more supportive (and punctual!) teacher soon.

#943143 - 10/16/05 12:23 PM Re: First Lesson-Teacher Seems To Be Very Hard Of Hearing
Sipry Offline

Thanks for the words of encouragement Monica. I'm really hoping that my next try with a teacher is successful. If not, I can be patient and just keep plugging along on my own until I do find one.

Sipry

#943144 - 10/16/05 01:50 PM Re: First Lesson-Teacher Seems To Be Very Hard Of Hearing
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
With your summation of the lesson(s) you've had with this particular teacher, I think you made the wise decision to find someone else or wait for your original choice.

There seems to be too much 'wrong' with your association with this teacher to continue effectively and you do want your lessons to be productive and progressive.

#943145 - 10/16/05 04:13 PM Re: First Lesson-Teacher Seems To Be Very Hard Of Hearing
Sipry Offline

A big "Thank You" to everyone who has validated my decision. It was a difficult decision but when I sat down and really thought about how I was feeling after the lesson, I knew that I had to end the association. My first lesson, many years ago was so different by comparison. I always felt good and, most importantly, was excited about moving ahead.

I have waited a very long time to have my own piano and nothing is going to keep me from enjoying the experience!

Thanks so much for the encouragement!
Sipry

#943146 - 10/24/05 01:16 PM Re: First Lesson-Teacher Seems To Be Very Hard Of Hearing
Glyptodont Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
My teacher is very elderly and appears also to be hard of hearing.

However, her knowledge of music is amazing, and her mind is sharp as a tack.

Often hearing loss that makes it hard to pick up spoken words occurs above 3000 cycles. Below that the person hears fine. This would allow your teacher to hear everything up until about C5 or G5. That is most of the keyboard.

My teacher also watches me play. She knows what keys I am hitting, and while her hearing may not be crystal clear, she is definitely hearing some of the effects.

I love my teacher and she has helped me greatly.

Now as long as she does not also go blind, I am going to do just fine.

So don't write off this teacher too fast.

I would rather have a very fine musician with a hearing problem (e.g., Beethoven) than some real jerk with perfect hearing and perfect pitch.

Just my view on it --

#943147 - 10/24/05 06:29 PM Re: First Lesson-Teacher Seems To Be Very Hard Of Hearing
Sipry Offline

Glyptodont,

Thanks for sharing your view - You are very fortunate to have found a teacher that you love as you do. If the hearing had been the only problem with my teacher, I would have stayed with her. However, there were other things that made it a very uncomfortable experience. Her basic teaching style was like an army sergeant - she basically grilled me for an hour. The whole experience was "creepy" - It just wasn't the way I wanted to learn.

Sipry

#943148 - 10/26/05 11:04 PM Re: First Lesson-Teacher Seems To Be Very Hard Of Hearing
zorrodepiano Offline

Loc: Encinitas Ca
What? You'll have to speak up...

#943149 - 10/31/05 03:37 PM Re: First Lesson-Teacher Seems To Be Very Hard Of Hearing
prbell Offline

Loc: Washougal, Washington
I am in my first year of teaching and I also have a hearing loss. I find that for the most part it does not affect my teaching. I make a point of listening very carefully and ask my students to talk directly to me and speak up. I have no problems hearing what is played. If a teacher were to have a severe hearing loss then yes, there could be trouble! I think for most people with hearing losses the problems occur in large group settings, in large open spaces and in situations with a lot of background noise. I have one young boy that is quite timid and quiet and he knows that he needs to speak up. I always ask him to use his "forte" voice when talking to me!

#943150 - 11/01/05 11:35 AM Re: First Lesson-Teacher Seems To Be Very Hard Of Hearing
Glyptodont Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Sipry -- it sounds like you are well away from there. Glad you found another teacher.

Prbell -- a good instance of how some moderate hearing loss is not a disadvantage.

At risk of leading the thread astray, a person might also ask the same question of piano tuners. I posed this question on the technician board some months ago.

Professional tuners have acoustic meters that will analyze a pitch, and our tuner uses one. However, he is about 75 years old, and it is possible he needs the acoustic meter because his hearing isn't too great.

It would seem that very good hearing is a major plus for a piano tuner.

Just adding a few more thoughts - -

#943151 - 11/07/05 09:52 PM Re: First Lesson-Teacher Seems To Be Very Hard Of Hearing
ignorant kid Offline

Loc: Poquoson, Virginia
My piano teacher also has hearing issues due to her being very elderly. But despite her hard hearing and not being able to play the piano (arthritis) she is a very good teacher. She is (or at least was) considered one of the best in my area has had around 75-80 years of teaching experience. I wouldn't have it any other way.

#943152 - 11/08/05 12:54 PM Re: First Lesson-Teacher Seems To Be Very Hard Of Hearing
Sipry Offline

I think it's really wonderful that there are teachers out there who are still good teachers even though they have some hearing loss. It would be a shame to have all that experience just cease because of the hearing problem. My experience, however, had so many issues beyond just the hearing that it was quite unworkable.

Sipry

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Lock Key -> what is it used for ?
by angga888
6 minutes 56 seconds ago
Yurmauer Piano
by PhilipInChina
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
Books to Learn Notes for Teenagers?
by pianoheart
Yesterday at 11:37 PM
Jim Laabs Music - my experience buying a grand sight-unseen
by ernani
Yesterday at 09:44 PM
Buying a Grand Paino Sight-Unseen - my personal experience.
by ernani
Yesterday at 09:01 PM
Who's Online
105 registered (angga888, A-Tom, 36251, 29 invisible), 1963 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76712 Members
42 Forums
158628 Topics
2329745 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission