Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#943543 - 11/16/08 12:58 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Danny,

When you say: "But I'm politically incorrect and outspoken to the core, and come from a lower class life mentality and I'm afraid I will keep getting on your nerve, no matter what", you bring to mind some things of mine that I have spent my life trying to rise above.

I had few privileges in the family I was born into, and I considered myself a financial burden to them. I had a spark of intelligence in a home challenged with every day necessities being too much to handle. Sadly, fear, indifference, and ignorance dominated the minds of the people who raised me from childhood. Things showing me daily what I did not want for myself.

One of the best opportunities in our lives is for us to shape our lives to our own satisfaction. To determine what is worth talking about, how to spend our time on relevant things.
How to forget our pasts that haunt us.

Sometimes the thing that was the biggest handicap to us in our early lives, is the thing that saves us from continuing to behave in the world the way that we were brought up.

Today's habits and truth might be replaced with something better.

You have a lot of potential, Danny, but you can't be truly happy when most of what is your perception has a certain amount of misery to it. Transferred to you by other people, the newspapers you read, the television you watch.

I loved my family dearly, but they were through circumstances trapped into a mindset which was very, very limiting, and from which they could not escape.

I could and did. I think you have to have a dream to aspire to because there are so much mundane distractions that would keep us from our purpose in life.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#943544 - 11/16/08 01:19 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I've read all four pages of this topic and I still can't figure out what you people are talking about.

:rolleyes:
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#943545 - 11/16/08 01:33 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I think the original idea was along the lines of an exchange of creative, original, innovative, unusual, interesting thought among teachers. It seems to have morphed.
;\)

#943546 - 11/16/08 05:44 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
DeepElem Offline

Loc: USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kreisler:
I've read all four pages of this topic and I still can't figure out what you people are talking about.

:rolleyes: [/b]
Ditto
- Fresco's Law

#943547 - 11/16/08 06:48 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Betty,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I appreciate it. What you said rings so true and liberating to me. You're right. Rather than regretting the past, we might consider it the best thing that happened to us, making us conscious of the need of a better present, we can build. I'll think about what you said, and will try to wipe away some of that misery in my perception.

#943548 - 11/17/08 02:24 AM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Group hug! Now, how about getting back to Gary's important question again?

"Whatever happened to creative exchange of ideas here?"

Apparently, based on this morph/hyjack, that is not what brings and keeps some/many/most (teachers) here. Having a place to vent, argue, find fault or take personal offense is not the same thing as sharing content meaningfully.

Perhaps a sub-forum could be better renamed "The Middle School Teacher's Lounge" and could have these threads as stickies:

"Bitter Coffee", "Smoky Clothes", "Stale Doughnuts", "Personal Vendettas, "Repressed Romances", "Nit Picking" and "B&M" (not standing for Band & Music), etc. \:D
Then the rest of the threads could be reserved for relevant content and posts that go off topic could be moved by the moderators to one of the above named stickies...

#943549 - 11/17/08 05:45 AM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
lotuscrystal Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
 Quote:
Originally posted by DeepElem:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kreisler:

:rolleyes: [/b]
Ditto [/b]
roger that

#943550 - 11/17/08 05:55 AM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?

What The Journey said, two posts up. I would love to sit back and lurk, and watch the teachers take off on Gary's idea. I would love to see that happening without a digression on blaming outsiders. I have seen several innovative ideas fall flat in the water. Nobody cared to respond. There was not a non-teacher in sight. In fact, there was nobody in sight. I think that I understand that this is what Gary is talking about. Is it in fact a discussion on "why we aren't posting" or is it a call to post and respond to posts? (Gary?)

#943551 - 11/17/08 06:28 AM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
lotuscrystal Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
With all due respect, being approx. 16 hours difference to most of you, due to time zones, it's quite often hard to be 'present' when ideas are taking off...when I log on...so many threads have gone off-course from their thread title, that I'm overwhelmed as to what to respond to! lol \:\) Don't know about you, but when I log on, their are usually only about 7 logged in members.

Anyone else suffer this 'creative exchange' dilemma? \:\)

#943552 - 11/17/08 06:32 AM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?

Well, that might answer part of the question that was originally asked. Perhaps it's not lack of interest, then. \:\)

#943553 - 11/17/08 06:35 AM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
keyboardklutz Offline

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
No, there just isn't much imagination out there. Blame the school system.

#943554 - 11/17/08 06:48 AM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I think Gary said what he needed to say. The lack of a only-teachers forum was partially blamed. From there the discussion followed its natural course and exhausted itself.

#943555 - 11/17/08 07:23 AM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?

Quote:
From there the discussion followed its natural course and exhausted itself.
Was that its natural course, or did it get directed there by choices made? Can it redirect? Is it done?

#943556 - 11/17/08 07:30 AM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keystring:
 Quote:
From there the discussion followed its natural course and exhausted itself.
Was that its natural course, or did it get directed there by choices made? Can it redirect? Is it done? [/b]
Given the meandering "focus" of this thread, lets have a discussion about whether or not it followed its natural course, can it redirect, etc, etc!! :p
(just joking....no offense Keystring!)

#943557 - 11/17/08 07:35 AM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?

Well, you can't say I didn't try. :p

Love your sig, btw.

#943558 - 11/17/08 03:28 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by lotuscrystal:
With all due respect, being approx. 16 hours difference to most of you, due to time zones, it's quite often hard to be 'present' when ideas are taking off...when I log on...so many threads have gone off-course from their thread title, that I'm overwhelmed as to what to respond to! lol \:\) Don't know about you, but when I log on, their are usually only about 7 logged in members.

Anyone else suffer this 'creative exchange' dilemma? \:\) [/b]
Oh yes \:D
Everything has happened overnight, from my perspective. I fall into bed about 10.30 my time, and all you lot get going ("good, she's gone, now we can talk"). When I log on in the morning I'm mostly just reading to catch up on what's been said, and the place is deadly quiet most of the day. So unless I spend far more time here than I really should, I'm often amazed at where things have gone while I slept...

#943559 - 11/17/08 04:05 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
keyboardklutz Offline

Presumably you guys are out of bed sometime before me? Though I am up, drinking coffee and reading the latest posts by 6am!

#943560 - 11/17/08 04:22 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by lotuscrystal:
With all due respect, being approx. 16 hours difference to most of you, due to time zones, it's quite often hard to be 'present' when ideas are taking off...when I log on...so many threads have gone off-course from their thread title, that I'm overwhelmed as to what to respond to! lol \:\)
I'm aware of this time distance between here an "Oz", because I chat with a friend in Australia. I'm a late night person, so people in the US start to go to bed about the time I just get started. When I type now (afternoon), it is between students, short breaks. I am often wide awake and in a talking mood at 3 AM, but that's already midnight, even in California, so I'm also out of sync.
 Quote:

Don't know about you, but when I log on, their are usually only about 7 logged in members.

Anyone else suffer this 'creative exchange' dilemma? \:\)
If you are talking about this forum (teacher's), I think so. I should check how many people are online. I never did that before. \:\)

#943561 - 11/17/08 04:24 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
Presumably you guys are out of bed sometime before me? Though I am up, drinking coffee and reading the latest posts by 6am! [/b]
I often am, too \:\) , on weekdays, anyway. (It's 8.20am here now)

#943562 - 11/17/08 05:45 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
keyboardklutz Offline

It's 10:44pm here. Is this a creative exchange?

#943563 - 11/17/08 05:49 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Are we still discussing "creative ideas?" \:D

Actually, the topic is: What happened creative exchange of ideas here? [/b]

I guess the ideas don't need to be creative, just how we exchange them! \:D \:D

#943564 - 11/17/08 06:14 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by John v.d.Brook:
Are we still discussing "creative ideas?" \:D
I don't think so!
 Quote:

Actually, the topic is: What happened creative exchange of ideas here? [/b]
And much to my embarrassment, since I posted it without some words, then forgot to spellcheck. That's why people will think I went back to edit my ideas, when actually was all about typos. \:\)

It was supposed to be "What happened to a[/b] creative exchange of ideas here?"

Quote:

I guess the ideas don't need to be creative, just how we exchange them! \:D \:D
The creativity I was hoping for is about exchanging (possibly) new ideas about how we teach the things we all have to teach.

For instance, you mentioned teaching pedal from the start. I also teach pedal very early.

I'd love to discuss this and pedaling techniques we teach. Are you game for a topic about that? \:\)

#943565 - 11/17/08 06:14 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
keyboardklutz Offline

How about, hey I'm off to bed, see ya in the morning.

#943566 - 11/17/08 08:14 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary D.:
For instance, you mentioned teaching pedal from the start. I also teach pedal very early.

I'd love to discuss this and pedaling techniques we teach. Are you game for a topic about that? \:\) [/b]
Speaking for me, yes \:\) .

In amongst all the other stuff on this thread (some of which was fun!) I think the point I got was - let's exchange creative ideas about how we teach, and be open to ideas from each other.

So start a new thread and let this one die a natural death. RIP \:\)

#943567 - 11/22/08 09:40 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
quiescen Offline

Loc: San Diego
Hello all,

I'm kind of new to this board so I'll keep my comments brief.

It seems to me that Gary D. wants to discuss a creative exchange of ideas. It also seems that Betty P. feels threatened by anything that strays from "traditional" piano pedagogy.

As someone who teaches adults how to improvise and compose, I think Gary D's perspective is fresh and one that is needed.

As I've said in the many articles I've written, I'm amazed at the pompous and righteous indignation that often comes from classical piano teachers. They feel threatened by anything that doesn't conform to the norm and think everyone should follow the exact same path.

Is it any wonder most don't take piano lessons?[/b]

---------------------------
Play New Age Piano
http://www.quiescencemusic.com

#943568 - 11/22/08 09:49 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
Nannerl Mozart Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia, Melbourne
^ thankyou for your clarification. This thread seemed to bend in different directions. The subject was lost a few times.

I think traditional piano pedagogy has been kept through the years, it proves its effectiveness. At the same time society has moved on. There are been other mediums and devices to which we can communicate. People can learn different things through the internet now, self learning is becoming common.

We always associate classical piano teachers as traditional, I think although true this link needn't be made to the genre or type of music one plays. It's ultimately the type of teacher.

Its great to have discussion forums, the world of music education is constantly evolving due to technology and globalisation. Some teachers may not feel that they can accept certain approaches, however, I think it is good to have some knowledge and an awareness of how different areas are conducted.

#943569 - 11/22/08 09:58 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Let me say quiescen,

You have a real nerve to post this on the piano teacher forum and at the same time insult some of us with your hypothetical question: "Is it any wonder most don't take piano lessons?"

I am not the least bit surprized to read what you have written. After all, you do have something that you are selling, don't you?

And, when you say I'm a traditional teacher threatened....you have no idea how creative and innovative I am, you are using me because I fit your agenda.

I'm happy to be called a traditional teacher, tried, true, established, and still going in my 38th year. So don't discount traditional teachers!

quiescen cheerfully says:
"Hello all,

It seems to me that Gary D. wants to discuss a creative exchange of ideas. It also seems that Betty P. feels threatened by anything that strays from "traditional" piano pedagogy.

As someone who teaches adults how to improvise and compose, I think Gary D's perspective is fresh and one that is needed.

As I've said in the many articles I've written, I'm amazed at the pompous and righteous indignation that often comes from classical piano teachers. They feel threatened by anything that doesn't conform to the norm and think everyone should follow the exact same path.

Is it any wonder most don't take piano lessons?

Play New Age Piano
http://www.quiescencemusic.com"

I object to selling on the forum. Betty

#943570 - 11/22/08 10:20 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by quiescen:
Hello all,

Is it any wonder most don't take piano lessons?[/b]

Play New Age Piano
http://www.quiescencemusic.com [/b]
SPAM ALERT

#943571 - 11/22/08 10:25 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
quiescen Offline

Loc: San Diego
Hi Betty,

As far as selling something goes, I'm following the PW guidelines by including the promo in the sig file. Don't like it? Too bad. Take it up with Frank.

And by the way, a lot of people make their living by teaching piano. I make mine on the internet.

We're all selling something aren't we. You're selling an outdated pedantic approach to playing piano. You might want to include that in your sig file along with your lovely picture.

Are you ready for this ... here it comes again.[/b]

--------------------------------
Play New Age Piano
http://www.quiescencemusic.com

#943572 - 11/22/08 10:28 PM Re: What happened creative exchange of ideas here?
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

quiescen,

You've just proved to me that I should ignore you because you are quite the intimidator. We have little in common.

Congratulations!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
116 registered (36251, aesop, *windowlicker*, Abby Pianoman, 36 invisible), 1272 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75893 Members
42 Forums
156828 Topics
2304398 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Tuning Database
by Sean Montgomery
Today at 05:35 AM
POSTING PICTURES
by bluebilly
Today at 03:19 AM
Goedkope Nike Free Run 2
by rstuvw780928
Today at 01:01 AM
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission