2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#943712 10/02/08 01:27 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
FWIW, I do not agree with Dons assessment that our eyes are unable to process the entire grand staff at once. Processing this much information was a goal of the speed reading course I had to take in high school. At the end of the course we were reading/skimming entire lines of text with only a glance or two. This is very comparable to processing the grand staff to the level needed for an experienced sightreader.

Other than this, I do agree that sight reading is about patterns - that is the same thing speedreading was about.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
#943713 10/02/08 04:27 PM
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by DragonPianoPlayer:
FWIW, I do not agree with Dons assessment that our eyes are unable to process the entire grand staff at once.
But it doesn't matter if we are actually seeing both staves at the same time or if our eyes are scanning back and forth at an incredible speed.

The important thing is to get the job done. smile

#943714 10/02/08 04:51 PM
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
When sightreading is well in place (quick reaction to what is seen in a graph (5 Lines/4 Spaces) symbolism of music characters, placement high and low showing relationship - - -

It is no longer sight reading with the eyes, because the brain has transformed it into reactions of physical movement.

Sight "doing".

This is the point I think, at which a musician in training becomes a very capable musician.

Of course, I'm speaking piano and the piano person here - - - a great combination when the music, the instrument and the person are totally ready for each other.

Thinks have become subconscious and known and used - you have left your outer world to be in your inner world.

Truthfully, "flow".

#943715 10/02/08 06:50 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pianoexcellence:
Originally posted by Gyro:
HS wastes time and
energy, in my view, for example, if
you play a section 10 times with the
rh and 10 times with the lh, that's
twice the time and effort than if
you played it 10 times HT, and you
still have to integrate the hands together
which will take even more repetitions.
Classic Gyro...

Of course, in the real world, there is a much better chance of playing with accuracy HS.

Every one of your HT repetitions will be inaccurate (or VERY VERY VERY slow), leaving the subconcious rife with conflicting information that will haunt your performances.

Meanwhile, the student who plays HS will have put in a majority of accurate repetitions, involved the ear more effectively, and saved time later because they will not have to "patch" up the memory traces of failure in the subconcious.

The performance is the sum total of the practice room. [/QB]
Plus hand seperate practice is only way to not have weak left hand...

#943716 10/03/08 03:37 PM
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
An example from my tortuous progress so far...

I can read reasonably a RH melody together with known chords in LH, easy enough to attack and forget about them, concentrating on the RH.

I can play the same LH notes in an Alberti bass pattern LH alone - but this takes so much 'multitasking' (almost like full RH reading) that RH melody reading suffers, from tempo hiccups to complete blockages.

Any hints from teacher experience HOW students overcome this to a smooth coordination ?

#943717 10/05/08 03:06 PM
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
To those interested in ideas,

Ask yourself co-ordination questions!
Do the hands (vertically on the music page) play:
Together?
Left Alone?
Right Alone?

These are the only 3 answers one can conjure up.
Two hands - 3 combinations.

The next step would be to put helpful blue dots equidistantly in the middle area of each music grand staff 0 0 0 0 (etc) to show a steady beat. Taking this into observation (thing "vision test") aligns the physical movement of your hands and fingers into the next present moment.

Do an away from the piano (on a table top) study of the music for coordination purposes. You can even take a more simple piece of music and write L - R - T on the page as an easier study piece before tackling the "now" piece of music.

NO, I do not believe in reading ahead - I believe we play ("think" and "act") in the present moment and we can multitask in the present moment.

Eye movement training should also be incorporated when we study how to coordinate and place the rhythms at the right time.

Without eye training,co-ordination practicing, and interval reading by direction and distance, everything we know about rhythm can become arrythmic, note reading is full of error.

One test of a well prepared musician is that they can talk at the same time they are playing. Anything before it's time will make the pianist stumble, fall, stop.

Music carefully planned out, completely understood, with the above list of key ingredients you supply operating your body movements, puts you into being a candidate for "flow".

It is all multitasking! So you master multitasking one step at a time.

What comes first? Then? And?

How do you recognize what isn't working?

How do you solve problems in music?

It's all in your domain - or, hopefully, you are at least in pursuit of the answers from qualified responders.

Concerning whom to avoid: "Be on the watch for....."t-h-e-m". Suspects are armed and dangerous and give off misinformation freely. Avoid at all risk."

Choose your mentors carefully!

Betty

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission