2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#945137 07/13/07 03:55 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi again, this is my second post.
I have questions on what is needed to be done to put on a recital. This will be my first time doing this. i attended many as I was growing up during my lessons. and now that I have enough students, I would really like to start thinking about it. I need to know about what kind of places to use and how to book them and also if there is usually a cost to do this and if it is customary to ask the parents for any money towards it...also is it common to hold a reception afterwards (it has been many many years since my last and I dont remember much).
Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

#945138 07/13/07 04:19 PM
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Good for you!

I'm sure there will be lots of responses to this question!

I think the first step is to make sure you have committment to attend the recital date and time you plan. Then I would be sure that the program is completely ready with acceptable performances by the kids. I would type their names on a piece of paper and add their pieces and time the program according to each pieces length. I like for my student to play at least two pieces, some play quite a few more depending on their progress and enthusiasm for performing. I do programs by theme music (Classical - Pops - Moods and Styles - and Rhythms - and round out the appearances according to the way I want the audience to be entertained. I try to start interestingly and end dynamically strong with all the different levels in between mixed.

Working on the facility, I would start finding what is available (quality of piano and room) and then do they coincide openings with dates you are interested in. Yes, there are usually costs! You can distribute those between the parents as a Recital Fee.

The reception is always nice with cookies and punch, but you should have extra help in setting up, serving and cleaning up. You probably want a greeter at the door to hand out programs, too.

I just love the excitement of recitals. Don't forget you might want to videorecord - another helper? - so you'll have records of your students progress, and a "memory" bank of your career in teaching.

Best wishes! Feel free to contact me!

Betty

#945139 07/13/07 04:31 PM
Place:

Churches or performance halls are great for a recital location. Things to consider: what kind of piano do they have? Play it..is it in acceptable condition? Is lighting good? Are acoustics pleasing? How much do they charge? Is food allowed (for reception afterward)? Do you have to clean up?

Food:

Things to consider: You could provide paper products and a snack or two. If you have a large studio, you could have families sign up to bring something to contribute.

Programing:

You want to type up a good program on nice-looking paper, or have it done professionally at a printer.
Things to consider: Choose a formal-looking or professional font. Keep it simple by including Name of Song, Composer and performer's name. Write a simple note of thanks on the back. Thanks to the students for their participation, thanks to the parents for their investment in their child's education (and food contributions).

Structure:

This is CRUCIAL!!!! The pacing and placement of each student during the course of the recital is very important.
Some things to consider:
Don't create recital order chronologically by age or level. This creates not only a boring recital, but children figure it out, and compare themselves to one another. Here's what I do: Begin with a strong performance by an intermediate or advanced student. Follow with a few little kids (if you have any. Their songs are short, so you can put 3 of them in a row). In the middle, just mix it up by age and level. End the recital with one of your strongest performers! (this may or may not be your most advanced student).

Seating:

Things to consider:
For ease of flow, and student independence,
allow parents center of the audience, so they can see their child's face and hands as they play.

Seat the students off to the side in their own section, by number in order of performance, that way all students know who just played and who's going next. It keeps the recital moving smoothly.

#945140 07/13/07 05:59 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Awesome advice, thanks so much!!!

#945141 07/15/07 11:18 AM
Re: seating, I used to have my students sit together, but have changed to letting them sit with their families both before and after they perform. It is much easier on the little ones. My goal for my recitals is to make it a special occasion for the students, but keep the stress level as low as possible.

I don't charge a recital fee (I've considered it rolled in with tuition), but am thinking about adding a nominal one in the future. Between renting the space, creating programs, giving out awards and providing refreshments, they are significant events monetarily! I don't think families realize that.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
www.cameronparkpiano.com
Full-Time Private Piano Instructor
#945142 07/15/07 11:41 AM
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Our clients have no idea of the expenses involved, or the huge time commitment it is for the teacher to prepare for the recital. They think everyone just shows up, I think.

Not that they need to know all the inner mechanisms, but we know, and it's one of the very important services we provide that contributes to our lesson fee charges.

I have had a list of "TO DO's" that I've followed carefully to help me stay organized but it always feels frantic getting ready to go to the church with my paraphenalia. (Where is spell check when you need it?) Then the packing and unpacking and repacking and unloading of the car from home to site and back home. I always arrive 45 minutes early to set up, and then I'm always the last one out after clean up and turning off the lights. It's a joyful day, but there is so much to do.

I wonder what minimal effort is on the part of the teacher, as it's become a huge effort and I am not the "spring chicken" I used to be. Delegating is something I do, but everything always needs follow up, too.

I'd love to comment about the last minute talk to the students before entering the sanctualy in a "march" down the aisle and sitting together, but my posts are already long enough.

All these things to do are a labor of love.

#945143 07/16/07 07:03 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Mrs Cristy - welcome on board. You already received a lot of good advice, but allow me to share something I've learned over many years of teaching and recitals. More advanced students tend to dwell on imperfections rather than what is going well. For example, if a student preceding them has a memory slip, they start to worry about a memory slip, and it soon becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Every student will suddenly have a memory slip where they've never, ever had one. What many of us have found is necessary is to put the students in another room, away from the recital. Naturally, we all want the students to hear and learn from the others, but human nature doesn't work that way. When looking for a recital hall for students, I look for where I can have students wait, without delay the progress of the recital. After the student has played, I have them sit down in the front row so they can both listed to more advanced students, and also, be at hand when it's time to hand out certificates and awards.

Finally, I've given up on food and drinks. If I were working primarily with young, elementary students, I think that you can enlist parents to help out. Most of my middle school and high school students have busy lives and bolt just as soon as possible. This includes many parents.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
#945144 07/16/07 03:30 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Ok lots of great advice, Thanks.
Some of you mentioned awards and certificates...what are usually the headings of these awards, most improved? and things like that?? can you give me some more ideas?
thanks!

#945145 07/16/07 06:22 PM
Each of my students gets a personalized participation certificate, and I also give out ribbons for performance or memorization. (I encourage, but do not require, memorization, so it gets a special award.)

At this time I do not give out competitive awards. I've thought about it, but first of all, I'm not certain that I want to make the events any longer. Second, I don't want it to be any kind of competition; rather, a celebration of music and learning. On the other hand, if it would encourage more practice... laugh

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
www.cameronparkpiano.com
Full-Time Private Piano Instructor
#945146 07/17/07 12:52 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
My Piano Studio's recital is in the Spring, following Guild Auditions, so students receive 3 certificates - participation, which records what they performed, an AAA certificate, if they've memorized and kept memorized 10 pieces, and their Guild Certificate. In addition, I hand out special prizes - such as a music store certificate for the student with the best attendance through the year.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
#945147 07/19/07 07:10 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Ok, couple any of you email me a sample of what the participation certificate would look like , I would appreciate it!

#945148 07/19/07 09:36 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I used certificates I purchased from Office Depot. I can email you the file I used to print on them if you are interested.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
#945149 07/20/07 11:33 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Here are two samples in pdf format which you can view. They are normally printed on fine document stock which I purchase from "Paper Direct." The certificates look quite elegant, and I often put a gold seal on them as well.

http://www.klavier.ms/Piano_World/AAA_Club_Sample.pdf

http://www.klavier.ms/Piano_World/Performance_Award_Sample.pdf

John

T
T
Great ideas. I will create a new post. I am interested in creating an informal, friendly monthly "recital" group for pianists/keyboarders in the Yelm, WA and surrounding areas. The purpose will be for building motivation, making friends and getting practice playing "live."

I don't know if there is already a group out there for this (other an an online recital) in my area. Any feedback on how to get this started would be great! Thanks!

-SY
DeColores!
mid-level beginner pianist (again) serious as of Dec 2013!
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Holy Cow, I'd forgotten all about this topic. And it's over six years old!

Yes, we have all kinds of student recitals in the area. If you're seriously interested, join the Olympia Music Teachers' Association, a local chapter of the Music Teachers National Association (MTNA). We had concertos last Saturday, from 9 AM to 6 PM. Tomorrow, students are playing seasonal music at Haggens in West Olympia. Nothing on the sched for Jan, but Sonatina Festival early Feb. March is adjudications, so we don't program a recital on top of that.

PM me if you want more info on membership.

John

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by therightmoment
Great ideas. I will create a new post. I am interested in creating an informal, friendly monthly "recital" group for pianists/keyboarders in the Yelm, WA and surrounding areas. The purpose will be for building motivation, making friends and getting practice playing "live."

I don't know if there is already a group out there for this (other an an online recital) in my area. Any feedback on how to get this started would be great! Thanks!

I'd suggest also posting on the Adult Beginners Forum, where you'll find many fellow adult learners--maybe some in your area!

1989 Baldwin R
T
T
Thank you John v.d.Brook - I sent you a PM. Thank you also jdw. I reposted a new post in the Adult Beginners Forum. I posted it under recitals... but no feedback yet.

Sorry for the delay I just realized I could do a "search" with my name and find any responses to me! Thank you !

-SY
DeColores!
mid-level beginner pianist (again) serious as of Dec 2013!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission