2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
John, you are going by what you are actually experiencing with students and the trends you see. I have to respect that. Choosing a monthly route can be a sign of non-commitment. If I had the means to pay quarterly, I certainly would. It is more convenient for me as well.

For your second point: perhaps on the Internet softening a blanket statement with "often" or "in my experience" would allow people under exceptional circumstances not feel included. wink Life can be unfair and unpredictable.

and the few who pay by the quarter or year generally show real commitment.
You are saying that you see commitment in the form of regular attendance, being prepared, attentive, so there is a correlation, right? If you have seen such a correlation in your decades of experience, it makes sense for you to act on it.

In a similar manner I have learned that when a translation agency has an "emergency" it usually means they are disorganized and I may not get paid. That has been a $2400 lesson spread across two of them, and two continents. In fact, it could have paid over a year of music lessons. By contrast, the private individual with an emergency often offers to pay extra and does so immediately. So I, too, have to look for patterns and trends.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
ks - point taken. eek

It has been my experience that students on tuition plans tend to be more "productive" and those paying by the quarter or longer, even more so.

I suspect that lotuscrystal will be delighted in the long term by her decision to go with 4 ten week quarters. And so will her students. And that's what we're really after, isn't it?

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
All in all it sounds good, John. Personally I would opt for such a thing myself if I could swing it. Less hassle for the student too, if feasible.

In regards to how people read things because of their varied background, I've learned that mostly because I'm a forum moderator elsewhere and have seen first hand how many ways something can be understood. And I still got caught myself today - go figure. wink

M
M
It's OK, keystring, we still love you laugh

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I find it's best to follow school holidays as teacher's need holidays too (providing you can get enough work during term time to be able to afford holidays)

I have just put together a studio policy in a friendly FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) format which all my students receive. I don't get them to sign it, (too formal I think) but if there are any queries then I can make reference to the cancellation policy etc and they can't then claim ignorance!

http://www.williamhay.co.uk/faq.pdf

L
OP Offline
L
Hi william...your link didn't work for me, but I'd be really interested to view it smile

This one works (two L's) wink William\'s page

My students pay me the same monthly amount for 4 lessons. For months where their lesson day has 5 days, they pay me for 4 and then in December (for example) they again pay me for 4 but only get 3 lessons so I get a week off in December. This has been working O.K. but I think I'm switching to Betty's 40 system anyway! Has anyone else used my carry over system?

smile

M. Katchur
L
OP Offline
L
Originally posted by keystring:
This one works (two L's) wink William\'s page
Cheers! smile

Hi,
I think I was one of the first teachers to discuss my policy agreement on these forums four or five years ago. Truly, there is no way to operate a teaching studio without one.
Over the last few years, there have been quite a few additions to my standard agreement. Luckily, some of my friends are lawyers, and they have really helped me to add things to my agreement which have kept the studio here thriving.
One of my students decided that she should bring four dogs to my house while taking her piano lessons...after all, they were Jamie Pressley's dogs lol. I was not too happy having to explain that dogs are not really great pianists, and they certainly make a mess and cause a lot of distractions when someone is trying to take a piano lesson.
Most teachers face the "I want to bring a friend, football team, my whole band" situation at some point-I found an easy way to deal with this. I just put the obvious "only you can attend your lesson" in the agreement ( I don't teach young kids) and allow the student the option of bringing as many people as they wish as long as each person pays the lesson fee. That took care of that one.
Very important issues that everyone should be aware of: 1) some students may want to sue you if they practice wrong. As well meaning as some people are, they may put it too many hours if they are overly zealous and blame you when their hands hurt or they injure themselves. I checked with a lawyer and added language to my agreement on that point and 2) If you have stairways and weather elements on your premises you may want to add language to your policy agreement stating that you are not responsible for any injury someone may have while walking to and from your studio. At my residence, there are often pools of water left by the gardeners and if someone isn't able to walk past them, I don't want to be responsible.
By far, the most important thing about a policy agreement is to clearly explain it when a student signs up and make sure they have a copy of it to refer to when something is unclear.

Rob Mullins
www.planetmullins.com
Recording Artist and Jazz Piano Instructor
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks Rob Mullins for your post...but my public liability insurance covers all the things you mentioned. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission