Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#946841 - 05/30/08 05:03 PM Re: Thoughts on Sight Reading
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by Minaku:
"jazz font" that's impossible to read at speed. Just... *sigh* [/b]
I loathe that jazz font. Wasn't the point of using computers to write music out so that people wouldn't have to read hand-written scores, which, even when neat, are harder to read? Then why make a hand-written ... *sigh*

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#946842 - 05/30/08 05:06 PM Re: Thoughts on Sight Reading
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by musiccr8r:
doesn't it kill you when an acapella work is condensed for a pianist's "rehearsal only" part of the score at 50% smaller font??????????????? AGHHHH [/b]
Ah, another of my pet hates. And the scary thing is that 20 years ago it didn't bother me at all. 50% smaller seems to have got 50% smaller since then ... \:\(

#946843 - 05/30/08 07:13 PM Re: Thoughts on Sight Reading
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
 Quote:
Originally posted by currawong:
 Quote:
Originally posted by musiccr8r:
doesn't it kill you when an acapella work is condensed for a pianist's "rehearsal only" part of the score at 50% smaller font??????????????? AGHHHH [/b]
Ah, another of my pet hates. And the scary thing is that 20 years ago it didn't bother me at all. 50% smaller seems to have got 50% smaller since then ... \:\( [/b]
And then there's the other way 'round. I'm playing Sun morning and was loaned a, ahem, large print edition of the hymnal (what *were* they trying to tell me?!?) But I found the staves were so far apart I couldn't track them both at once and had to take the sheets to the copier and shrink them \:D

Sometimes you can't win for losin' !

Cathy

#946844 - 05/31/08 12:09 AM Re: Thoughts on Sight Reading
musiccr8r Offline

Loc: Denver
Oh, the one time I got a blown-up hymn I was in heaven! That was when I discovered my astigmatism. However, getting glasses was no help because I can't seem to adapt to the little bit of loss of peripheral vision along the bottom of the lens when I wear them for piano playing. \:\(

#946845 - 06/02/08 02:25 PM Re: Thoughts on Sight Reading
alglasser Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Darn...I hit a wrong key and my post beamed up somewhere..please excuse if this is a repeat. (GRRRRRR!)

My sightreading adventures continue in full swing. I am really working hard at this with my goal being to become better than my new, good sightreading adult student.

I have learned a lot here in the Sightreading categories and I thank you all for your valuable help and suggestions. I have learned handy things like:

start with music that is below reading level[/b] I did. Happily, I breezed through P-1 and level 2 with no problems. Level 3 (on which I am still working) is coming along nicely and since I've read through about 30 pieces at this level, I now mix them up and reread them. Problem is, I memorize so darned fast (at least for a 57 year old antique) that almost all the pieces are now "familiar".

sightread 10-30 minutes a day[/b] Well...I have to confess that I am probably doing a couple of hours worth and my head clogs up after a while. Today, I alternate back and forth between some sightreading and shampooing the steps going to our second floor. (Now THAT'S exciting!)

Read from the bottom up.[/b] I'm happy to report that I already do this.

Make sure you are sightreading at lower than your level.[/b] MAJOR FACE SLAP. So much for my feeling smug at level 3 and moving on to level 4. I am indeed humbled because level 4 is a struggle...especially stuff that is not tonal. So, guess I'll continue hunting for level 2 and 3 materials to plow through until I feel that I might again be humbled by level 4.

match your ability from the samples from the Associated Board of the Royal School of Music. /B] I can't remember who kindly posted these short samples from levels 1-8 but they are right on!! My level 3 is good, level 4 is "wicked slow".

Try some Pischna to help sightreading[/b]
Book ordered. I also ordered "A guide to Remedial Reading for the Piano Student", used, on Amazon.com. I'm hoping that I will gain more insights. I am about as "remedial" as they come.

read 4 part harmony from a Hymnal[/b] ..Well...I don't think I'm ready for that yet...but somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my music files I DO have a hymnal. (Probably hand written by the monks in the middle ages...) :>)

And there are other guidlines that I am following as well that you all suggested. I am most grateful to you all.

I hope this post isn't too uninteresting.

Alan in RI...burning up the keys today...and the carpet shampooer...

#946846 - 06/02/08 02:57 PM Re: Thoughts on Sight Reading
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
(edit: oops: didn't notice it's the teacher forum - moderator, feel free to delete or move if inappropriate)

Quote:
read 4 part harmony from a Hymnal ..Well...I don't think I'm ready for that yet
Al, I modified that one. I returned to piano after 30 years and never having been taught, meaning I was in a funny place.

I combined preparatory Czery, learning scales, and the Riemenschneider edition of Bach chorals which for weird reasons came into my posession.

What I did for a couple of months was "sight read" each choral over about 6 days. Day 1 I read the soprano line separately remaining acutely aware of the bumps and valleys of piano keys and their identity, then the alto, tenor, and bass. Then I would read S & A, T & B, S & T, S & B etc. very slowly. I did that two days. Day 3 I began S & A and added the tenor, combining 3 voices. Day 5 I'd begin with the 3 and add the 4th.

So a couple of months of building this awareness, I left out the first step and began with step # 2, spent more time with 3 and 4 parts. I was also learning to interchange left and right hand for the problematic tenor.

Into month 4, I guess, I can, extremely slowly, do 4 part immediately. I was reviewing my theory (RCM) aurally, and came to the transposing homework. So there I was sight reading 4 part harmony, and then reading it (really slowly!) in open score with C clefs, or modern vocal score where the tenor is written in treble clef with that little 8va 8 dangling from the bottom (purists, forgive my lack of vocabulary).

So this is working for me.

I'm reading as a vocalist and violin student, recorder player, so I was overly "melodic minded". When I read the "bottoms up" approach I went vertical in my reading, and the choral reading took an immediate huge jump.

#946847 - 06/02/08 04:01 PM Re: Thoughts on Sight Reading
alglasser Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Keystring...

That sounds like an interesting challenge and something that I just might try! Now where did I stash that hymnal?

Alan in RI

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
105 registered (Abby Pianoman, 36251, AndrewJCW, accordeur, 33 invisible), 1449 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156221 Topics
2294303 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
BALDWIN R vs. STEINWAY M
by Karl Watson
9 minutes 52 seconds ago
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
Today at 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
Yesterday at 08:31 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission