2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#946895 03/23/08 12:07 PM
OP Offline
Hey guys smile

I'm a 15 year old boy who's about to take pianolessons. And I'm getting a piano in 1-2 weeks. But I just don't know which one yet. I have 2 options (both new) :
- Kawai K-2 (€3800,-)
- George Steck Silent (€3500,-)
Please tell me what one and why i should buy that one.

And I'm already 15 years old and i can't wait to start with my pianolessons. I also think that i will be very driven to play the piano for a long long long long time :p . I've got 3 questions:
- What piece can i play after about 1 year of lessons?
- What piece can i play after about 2 years of lessons?
- How long does it take to play Für Elise?
I know it depends on the amount of talent I (don't :p ) have.

Ps. Don't post comments about my English, because i'm from the Netherlands. smile

thumb THANKS thumb

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.

If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.

Mark Twain
#946896 03/23/08 08:07 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hello Wimbwicket and welcome to the Teachers' forum.

For advice on pianos, I'd suggest you ask on the Piano forum. The participants there will likely be much more knowledgeable about the two models you are interested in.

The K-2 model is 114cm high; I think you might be happier if you can go at least 118cm high. The sound quality is much improved and the key action is generally improved. The K-3 model, which looks to be €800 more, is probably worlds improved.

As far as lessons go, have you found a teacher yet? The quality of your teacher is at least as important as the quality of your piano. Unfortunately, my experience teaching in Germany was that it was very difficult for older beginners to get the better teachers, because of old ideas about students starting between ages 7 - 9. Perhaps the Netherlands is more progressive in this area.

How far you progress each year depends on several factors - you (of course), how much you practice, how well you practice (more important than how much you practice), and the quality of your teacher.

Hope this gives you some help.

By the way, what part of the Netherlands are you from?

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
#946897 03/23/08 08:15 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of playing the piano!

To answer your questions:

--Definitely buy the Kawai piano. Especially if you might want to play duets or chamber music in the future.

--It's difficult to say specifically what pieces you'll be able to play after a period of time without knowing how much daily practice you will be able to commit to. But it would be realistic to expect to be playing some intermediate-level sonatinas (Clementi, Kuhlau, Beethoven) after about 2 years of lessons.

--It takes me about two and a half minutes to play Fur Elise (sorry, couldn't resist a bit of humor). Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if you'd be playing this piece after about 2 years of study (with at least 1 hour of practice daily).

smile

Private piano & voice teacher for over 20 years; currently also working as a pipe organist for 3 area churches; sing in a Chicago-area acappella chamber choir
#946898 03/23/08 08:31 PM
B
B
--It takes me about two and a half minutes to play Fur Elise (sorry, couldn't resist a bit of humor). Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if you'd be playing this piece after about 2 years of study (with at least 1 hour of practice daily).
Two years--are you sure about that? That seems absolutely insane. I would most certainly think that in a month or two, maximum, Fur Elise could be played with ease.

#946899 03/23/08 08:37 PM
A
A
Originally posted by Backle:
Two years--are you sure about that? That seems absolutely insane. I would most certainly think that in a month or two, maximum, Fur Elise could be played with ease.
The first page, yes (although it may sound a bit clumsy if played by a total beginner). Then it gets harder. (How many people know only the first theme of this piece, and don't realise there's more?) And for such a well known and special piece, the goal is to play it beautifully, not just to stumble through it. So I wouldn't give it to one of my students until I think they're ready for it.

#946900 03/23/08 09:19 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Alexander, my students are both younger and perhaps more average in general, and are not really ready for Fur Elise until 4 - 5 years of study. But lalakeys is correct, if you put in an hour a day of true study, you should be ready to tackle it after a couple of years. It is a mid to upper Intermediate level piece. I think most repertoire series have it place about level 6 or 7 out of 10.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
#946901 03/23/08 09:33 PM
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Fuer Elise is a longer piece than just the first "section" and it consists of several levels of accomplishment. The first section is the easy one that most students do, most are not aware of the longer length that a complete playing involves.

#946902 03/23/08 10:36 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Betty, I don't know why, but your post prompted my sick, distorted brain to think of something weird. One of my young ladies came to the studio this week wearing a belt with a keyboard design on it. That inspires my fashion sense. Perhaps we could market a neck wrap and call it Elise's Fur. laugh

#946903 03/23/08 10:53 PM
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
John?

This does not seem like the John I know!

Well, John, thanks for consulting with me, I think a neck wrap might be a good idea, if we could also market the boots that go with it. A short version and the long version.

We might have better luck with "Elise's Fur-niture Polish for Pianos".

I plead innocent to prompting you - you did all the work on your own! Will we need investors?

Betty

#946904 03/24/08 12:23 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It's early signs of dementia. laugh

#946905 03/24/08 03:34 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the information guys thumb

And John vd. Brook I'm from around Rotterdam / Gouda. So little far from Germany :p

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.

If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.

Mark Twain
#946906 03/24/08 08:34 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Ah, Gouda! Not only my favorite cheese, but my wife & I often stop for coffee and kuchen there after landing at Schipol and driving on to Germany. Many fond memories.

#946907 03/24/08 12:24 PM
A
A
Of those two pianos i'd suggest the Kawai K-2.

About how well you can play after 1-2 years, you've got it right, it all depends on a) talent and b) the ammount of time to practice.

The fact that you are 15, in my opinion, helps you out a lot. They say that children learn things faster, which i only believe to an extent. Because you are older you can grasp certain concepts easier, plus you have a whole new level of self awareness being older, and the actual desire to learn and prosper, setting your own goals.

Good luck!

Love is a friendship set to music.
#946908 03/24/08 03:22 PM
OP Offline
I don't know why, but because of your comment i feel very happy and gave me a lot of self confidence in learning to play the piano. I can't wait. Thanks! thumb

Mark Twain
#946909 03/25/08 02:17 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
The earliest reference to Fur Elise in our state's teaching manual is Level 3, which--if you progress at the "normal" pace--equates to 4 years of piano lessons.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
#946910 03/25/08 01:28 PM
OP Offline
Well John, i found a teacher who's a member of the EPTA. I'm going to her this evening to check if she's any good laugh . I hope i'll like her.

Mark Twain
#946911 03/25/08 01:42 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
- What piece can i play after about 1 year of lessons?
- What piece can i play after about 2 years of lessons?
You may be a little disappointed that you received no answers. Don't take it personally, Wimbwicket, as perhaps you have already summized, there are no black and white answers. It really depends on you, how fast you learn and can apply the principles you're taught, how much you practice, how seriously you take your lessons, how disciplined you are and so forth. There are, unfortunately, just too many "it depends" type factors. Just try your best.

I took about a year's worth of lessons when I was in my 20's and 'forced' my way through Fur Elise. The first part (the easy part) sounded passable, after a while. The second and third parts (the difficult parts that everyone is referring to), quite honestly, never sounded good, despite my brute force and sheer determination to conquer a piece that was far above my level at the time. By the time I could play it all the way through, quite frankly, I was sick of it (having played it 1,000 times) and the sad part about it was that it really didn't sound all that great, despite my substantial efforts. The fingers, mind, musical understanding and technique are simply not ready for a piece like this at an early juncture. Have patience, it will come.

Glad you found a teacher. Let us know how your lesson goes. Good luck. smile

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission