2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#946918 10/12/05 01:19 PM
A
Allegra Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have a friend who wants me to teach her 3yr old and I normally don't take any students that young but I'm considering it since she is a friend. Is the Little Mozart Series workable for the 3yr old group? Have any of you ever tried it? If not, which method have you used.

#946919 10/16/05 01:11 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Allegra,

I'm not a teacher but someone learning to play.

Three year olds have a short attention span.

Maybe if you teach a very simple Mary Had a Little Lamb, or other fun songs that children like, sing the the song or melody of whatever you choose together, and than have him/her try to imitate what you do, if only with one or two fingers. See how it goes, make it fun.

It'll be a challenge, but you'll be able to do it. Have to agree with you three is a little young.

Just tossing out some ideas, I know your teaching experience will guide you. smile

#946920 10/17/05 09:55 AM
Sorry to intrude into this thread, but I just wanted to say something about my 1-year old. I know it's a bit extreme to start a thread called "teaching a 1-year old", especially since there was already one about a 4-year old, and this one about a 3-year old, and I know you'd all jump at me if I went any younger, so I hope you don't mind my hijacking this one momentarily. laugh

Anyway, I have a little 1-year old toddler, and it's his fingers you see in my avatar. He demands his own piano time, plunking around seriously for 15-20 minutes a day. He really gets into it, with full concentration! He plays slow then fast, then loud then soft, and some days he only likes the black keys and make his tunes from just those.

Sometimes he'll pick out middle C on his own and say "C" out loud, singing it in tune, then he'll go up a step to "D" and then "E", still singing in accompaniment. He'll also pretend to play from a piano book, leafing through pages then plunking random keys (although it's probably since he copies everything his older brother does and sees me practicing too).

Anyway, I'm sharing this because I don't know what to do with him, really. I wonder if he may be musically inclined and I'm not doing anything about it (ah, the pressures of parenting!).

I do know that he has an ear though, because when we used watch American Idol together and a performer would go off-pitch, my baby would shake his head to clear his ears and he'd have this alarmed look on his face. He can sing pretty well too -- it's the first time I've heard a 1-year old hum "Baa Baa Black Sheep" precisely on key, but then I've only had his brother to compare him to, so I wouldn't really know.

Anyway, enough of the proud mama bragging. Am I just being delusional or does he really seem to have some musical inclination? And what should I do with him during his daily 20 minutes of serious plunking at the piano?

#946921 10/17/05 10:02 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i had luck showing my daughter and son little tunes.. repeatedly.. They can pick them up.

As far as reading music tho - must under 6 yr. olds have trouble, in my experience. They are not used to the concept of reading right to left.. of transferring symbols into action, etc. I have a very young student.. (6) and he is a challenge for me. I hear the suzuki method is good for the very young -

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
#946922 10/17/05 10:28 AM
I am not a teacher, but I've heard wonderful things about Kindermusik for very young children. That's what my teacher recommends for kids under five instead of formal lessons.

Diva: your child certainly does sound like he has a knack, probably even perfect pitch. What you're doing sounds fine to me... I'd let him lead the way, though. In my experience, talented children let their parents know exactly what they want and need. It's our job to provide it and back away...

That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. - H. D. Thoreau
#946923 10/17/05 01:34 PM
i've taught a few four year olds and had success. i've never used music for little mozarts, but it looks like it'd be perfect for a 3 year old.

and just so you don't get discouraged, i've heard of lots of students who started at the age of 3, so it's definitely possible to teach them that young.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission