2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Goyo Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Any suggestions among different makes of metronomes of one that will hold up well, is user friendly, electronic or not, that is not too expensive, a good choice for younger students? [LIST]

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I have the little Yamaha one that looks like a little blue flying saucer. The model is QT-1. I got mine from a music store that was going out of business so it was half price -- usually about $40.

It has two different sounds, one of which sounds pretty similar to a mechanical metronome. It also has a flashing light. It seems very rugged and would stand up to years and years of use by youngsters. The controls are VERY simple. One switch to turn it on and off, one dial for tempo, and one dial for volume.

The only drawback is that it doesn't have accenting for different time signatures.

The QuikTime QT-7 does accent for different time signatures and is about half the price.

Frankly, for young students, I would stay away from mechanical metronomes as they are a little more fragile than electronic ones and can be overwound, etc.

I have a Wittner mini-Taktel that beats unevenly from being abused by a youngster.

DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Several of us have downloaded free software to allow our PDAs to work as electronic metronomes.

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as heck...
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
DT, thats a great idea!
Do you happen to know of any programs that will make my old wooden pendulum metronome function as a PDA? laugh

Bob

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Benedict
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Benedict
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I bought a Matrix MR-600 (has volume control)from Teachers Discount Music. 800 586-3876. They also have a web site. When you order call on the telephone and ask for Steve. He really knows his stuff and he will not oversell you. Very fast delivery.

http://home.rica.net/tdm

Regards,
Steve

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
Goyo,

At Stevester recommendation several months ago I bought my DD this http://home.rica.net/tdm/WitAnimals.htm

Steve at Teachers Discount Music was very helpful and I would recommend him too.

The cat is just fun for kids!

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Darn, I should have got the cat!, I love cats. I have one that hangs out next to the piano when I play but she hates scales and will leave the room whenever I practice them.

Have fun,
Steve

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
No one mentioned this, so I will. Our beloved PW host, Frank, would get some benefit if you bought one here. Piano Supplies

I bought a Wittner in mahogany just before Christmas. Ordering was a cinch, delivery was fast. The whole transaction was a pleasure. smile

Wynne
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
I had a Korg one that was about $30 and reliable, but then I got a Dr. Beat, which is about $150. It is overkill for most people, but I love it, the complex rhythm patterns are useful for modern classical music.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Younger students do not need metronomes. The money is better spent on piano lessons or books.

E
E
I respectfully disagree with Candyman. I have several young students (under 4th grade) that have them and we work with them at the lessons. I see a tendency for some of the kids to want to pause at the bar lines and this helps eliminate that. Also, in 3/4 time, some kids want to hold it to 4/4 time. I don't require them, but we use mine at lessons.

S
S
Further to this Metronome issue. I have a basic Wittner manual metronome that works just fine. I would certainly recommend using a metronome early and becoming used to doing so. It's rather an "annoying" sound but has a regular beat and just what one needs as a beginner or as an adult student as I am. I unfortunately never was well acquainted with the metronome as a kid and now I'm using it regularly. Actually upon reading some of these other posts, I went on line to http://palmgear.com and very quickly downloaded software "for free" and got a manual in pdf file format, for free as well, for my Palm PDA.It's going to be great. I tried it out. It flashes and I can adjust sound and have it sitting on a bracket that might hold a cup and saucer and see it flashing. Now no loud annoying mechanical Tap Sounds and I saved about 30-40 Canadian dollars.

My metronome is kind of dodgy. It is an old swinging model (yes i am due for a new one but that will happen because i am starting teaching). With these swinging models you have to wind it up on the side but if you wind mine up it turns it to swing time it gets uneven and you have to wait 5 minutes for it to come back.
I think i should sell it fo extra because it is so unique.

Pauholio
I believe that students should learn to play with a metronome from when they are beginning to learn as in 6 months after they start. because it is only when you are sure of the time that you can play over it, threw it and around, for when you want to improvise or compose.
So the more they practice with the metronome the better hey will be. 90% of my practice is doine with the metronome! smile

Pauholio

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission