2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#947884 09/01/06 01:16 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I have just moved to a new area, and am about to begin teaching piano lessons. It seems that most people rarely use any type of book for the first lesson, maybe even two. I was curious as to some different approaches or ideas that you incorporate into your first lesson with a student, younger or older.

#947885 09/01/06 05:13 PM
C
C
I'm not a teacher, but I have had a first lesson. My first lesson on the piano was a couple of months ago. I had music experience, but I had never played the piano before. I'm 17. My teacher had some method books with her and picked out pieces for me to read and play for her. I think since I wasn't a completely blank slate, musically, she didn't want to start off from the very beginning. First, of course, she asked me about my experience with music. She made sure I was sitting correctly and then corrected my hand position as we went. I left with A Dozen A Day Book 1, Piano Adventures 3B, and Burgmuller Op. 100.

Does the student not get any music at that first lesson then? Do they get warm ups to practice?

#947886 09/01/06 08:53 PM
I just did my first beginner's first lesson. I have usually had transfer students before now. Anyway, I did not bring any books for him to play yet. We did stuff like the musical alphabet fowards and backwards, finding groups of black keys, etc. I also went over how to sit, and how to place his hands on the piano. I also took some music for myself to play. His mother had told me he may want to play jazz, so I took the jazz music I knew, and his eyes lit up. I think it made him excited about learning piano. The first lesson also gave me a chance to ask him what he wanted to play, and I also got a pretty good idea what kind of books he'll do well in. So for the 2nd lesson, I will be prepared with the right method series for him to get started in.

#947887 09/01/06 08:59 PM
R
R
Hi trueblat!

I don't know if this will be helpful to you or not, but I'll share what I do with my first time students for their first lesson.

I usually make them note flashcards and give them a help sheet with sayings on them to help them remember the notes and learn them. They also get a book- I use Alfred and Piano Adventures. I just go through the books with them at a pace they can handle. They learn finger numbers, how to sit at the piano, how to hold their hand, ect. The books I mentioned are excellent books and really all you need for first lessons and beginners. They will have one to two songs assigned to them for the week and are also instructed to practice their flashcards.

I hope that helped! God bless you!
Redheadpianist

#947888 09/01/06 09:01 PM
R
R
Hi trueblat!

I don't know if this will be helpful to you or not, but I'll share what I do with my first time students for their first lesson.

I usually make them note flashcards and give them a help sheet with sayings on them to help them remember the notes and learn them. They also get a book- I use Alfred and Piano Adventures. I just go through the books with them at a pace they can handle. They learn finger numbers, how to sit at the piano, how to hold their hand, ect. The books I mentioned are excellent books and really all you need for first lessons and beginners. They will have one to two songs assigned to them for the week and are also instructed to practice their flashcards.

I hope that helped! God bless you!
Redheadpianist

#947889 09/01/06 09:09 PM
C
C
Wow! I completely forgot that these kids would need to learn where the keys are and how to read music! eek

#947890 09/02/06 11:53 AM
yep! Its hard to imagine what its like for them, being a blank slate isn't it? I think just getting used to where notes are, and what is going up the keyboard, and down the keyboard are good things to go over. How notes that sound higher move up, and so on. I think beginners will be fun though, I am excited to have my first one!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission