Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#948702 - 11/24/04 09:27 PM Becoming a private teacher - help!
jennied Offline

Loc: Ontario
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I could get some advice from someone who's been teaching privately. I have been teaching at a school of music for two years now, but am moving out of the area and ready to tackle teaching out of my new home. My question(s) - how do you really start it up? Do you recommend purchasing a bunch of books to have on hand for each student? Or find out about the students I might get before figuring out what books they need? How do I start the business end of this thing?
Also, what is the best way to be prepared for having new students (and in the home, no less?) I am not interested in teaching under someone anymore, the place I am leaving was poorly organized and undermined my intelligence as someone who knows music. I am fully prepared to teach, that part is no proble, it is just figuring out how to start it. Any advice would be great!
-Thanks!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#948703 - 11/26/04 06:50 AM Re: Becoming a private teacher - help!
cranky woman Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
 Quote:
how do you really start it up? Do you recommend purchasing a bunch of books to have on hand for each student? Or find out about the students I might get before figuring out what books they need? How do I start the business end of this thing?
Also, what is the best way to be prepared for having new students (and in the home, no less?)
Congratulations on your decision to become a private teacher. Teaching is such a rewarding experience! I'll do my best to answer your questions based on my experience. (I've been teaching privately for 18 years, 14 years of that I was affiliated with a University but continued to teach in my home studio as well)

how do you really start it up?[/b]

First, I would suggest you join your local Music Teacher's Association. There you will find other teachers that can offer suggestions as well as supply you with students. You may also find a mentor whom you can observe and continue to learn. You can also find students by making yourself known at a local music store and asking if you can leave fliers with information about you and your studio. Eventually, if your students are happy with you, word of mouth is the best way to get students.

I would also suggest creating a policy letter of your studio policies, ie: tuition, late fees, cancelled lesssons, make-up lessons, practicing requirements, materials, student/parent/ teacher expectations, performance opportunities, etc. I've found that it is much easier to create studio policies and address certain issues before students begin their lessons. This way, everyone knows what is expected up front. I also have the parents as well as the students sign the policies for my files.

Do you recommend purchasing a bunch of books to have on hand for each student?[/b]

This is not necessary as you are just beginning your studio.

Or find out about the students I might get before figuring out what books they need?[/b]

Yes, determine their needs before purchasing. Each student is different, and there are so many methods out there that I believe appeal to different types of learners. You may want to consider creating a "Music Library" I charge my students a yearly fee of $15. I then have the funds to purchase music to supplement their methods.

How do I start the business end of this thing? [/b]

You're on the right track in creating a business. Ask a lot of questions from experienced teachers. This is a great forum for that.

Also, what is the best way to be prepared for having new students (and in the home, no less?) [/b]
The best way to prepare for new students, IMO, is to know about what is age appropriate to the ages you want to teach, have a solid music foundation, love teaching and children, have a solid studio policy, and plan on having fun!

If you are teaching in your home, it is a must to have a quality instrument to teach with. Next, create a professional teaching environment. (if you have children, get a sitter!) Don't answer the phone while teaching or let other things distract you while teaching. Your student is paying for your full attention.

Also, check to see if you have a Home Owners Association, and if you are allowed to teach in your home. In my area, HOA's are a real problem.

I hope this helps! If you would like me to send you a copy of my studio policy letter, just pm me and I'd be happy to do it.

Good luck!

Cranky \:D

#948704 - 11/27/04 06:40 AM Re: Becoming a private teacher - help!
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

New teachers by me put an ad in the local paper. Also, some subdivisions have association newletters and websites. These are good places to advertise. Contact your local Piano Tuners. I get asked once or twice a week for a teacher referral. I carry a list of 200+ teachers with me, but have about a dozen I prefer to recommend because I know them to be good. Teaching is word of mouth. Once you get established (which might take a few years) you will have a waiting list, and you will be able to pick and choose your students.

Just one more thing, have students pay at least 3 months in advance. This weeds out some of the lousy students and gets you immediate cash flow. Don't make "arrangements" for missed lessons either. Missed lessons are missed, not made up at your expense. Consider strict rules from the beginning and stick to them.

#948705 - 11/27/04 01:31 PM Re: Becoming a private teacher - help!
pianafetish Offline

Loc: Greenville, NC
congradulations!!! i hope your dream comes true. anyway, i'm gonna strongly recommend this to you as to anyone else who plans to teach [or learn] piano, which i believe will save you a lot of time and be of great convenience to you.
go to pianoworld.com and type in the box 'virtual piano chords' and then click SEARCH. Then it'll take you to it, and then go over to SCALE, and choose from Major or Minor and put a click into the box that lets the keys cover the keyboard so that your [students] won't get confused as to where all of the chords are. you might want to draw out or make a copy of all of the chords to give to your students so they'll remember where the chords [keys] are. i hope that helped. if so, then let me know.

#948706 - 11/27/04 06:11 PM Re: Becoming a private teacher - help!
David Kirkham Offline

Loc: Provo, Utah
Congrats!

I will post from a business point of view.

I can not stress this enough.

Get a set of guidelines, or rules, print them, have the students sign them, and stick to them! You can probably get some VERY GOOD ideas from the rules where you teach now.

People will over and over and over tell you their dad died, their cat died, mom is sick...on and on. It may be true, but you will become sick if you don't set firm rules and stick by them. Just ask me...I know--I learned the hard way.

I would be very careful about late payments and I would be strict in applying them. If you aren't strict, you will be the one making late payments in short order. I would be very, very careful about your time and I would keep strict track of it. Your time is what you sell, (like a doctor or lawyer), so you MUST keep track of it and not let anyone abuse your time.

Finally, remember, you don't have to teach everyone who walks into your door. Some people are just simply better not to deal with. (This includes parents.)

I know this sounds doom and gloom, but it is not meant to be. I really believe if people think you are serious from the beginning, the cheats go elsewhere and everyone is happier.

I very much wish you the greatest success in your new business. Business is harsh, but if you are strict and treat EVERYONE fairly and honestly you will grow your business and be very happy. I love my business and I LOVE to go to work. Of course, I love to play the piano after work.

David \:\) \:\) \:\)
I bought my piano from www.pianocraft.net

#948707 - 12/01/04 08:56 PM Re: Becoming a private teacher - help!
jennied Offline

Loc: Ontario
Thank you all for your advice!
Some great thoughts I'll definitely keep in mind!

-Jenn

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
128 registered (ajames, AndrewJCW, Abby Pianoman, 37 invisible), 1629 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156250 Topics
2294705 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The process of shopping / buying a new piano
by Eric5238
54 seconds ago
Viennese vs sustain vs DOA tuned unisons and temperament
by gynnis
18 minutes 55 seconds ago
casinitaly! Many happy returns of the day!
by malkin
Today at 08:30 AM
T.J. Rochford Piano, trying to uncover some history
by Mikey Bob
Today at 07:58 AM
How to study harmony through Bach
by ttttcrngyblflpp
Today at 07:58 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission