2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#949391 01/18/09 06:21 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
As some might remember, the reason why i came on this board 8 months ago was my teacher. I was unsure if she can learn me technique.

I followed your advices, and had a honest talk with her, telling her that i want to improve, and that im willing to put at least 2 hours into piano practice each day.

She was glad that i decided that way, and we start working more serious.

She gave me advices on how to practice scales, she also gave me techniqual excercises.

These did help a bit, i can play faster, control left hand more etc.
But what puzzle me, is that i still "don't use technique" in pieces. With that i mean that i just play pieces without her correcting my technique. She does tell me if i have to play with higher or lower hand position, but that's all.

I am wondering if it's normal that student beggins with scales and other excercises, and start using them in actuall pieces only after they are mastered. (Scales)

I appologise if im sounding weird, but my education on piano technique is not high...

Should i talk with her about it? The problem is that i dont know if i could express myself, since, as I said, my knowledge about technique is low.

In past months i've been working mostly on interpretation. She assigned me some easier pieces so i could play them really well, and i thinkg that my intepretation has improved.

I really like my teacher, and I respect her.
I also love her as a person, since she is always in good mood, very kind and well educated.
But this is really bugging me.

So what i would like to know is if this is the ussal way of learning technique.

Ps: Sorry for my broken english lol, im still in high school laugh (Good excuse, isn't it?)

#949392 01/18/09 09:16 PM
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
GreenRain

I think you've asked an excellent question. I would like to hear the teacher's replies. I suspect that different students have different objectives but just noting your repertoire I would think that technique in the form of scales, arpeggios and exercises would be very important in order for you to continue to improve and play musically.

Also the ability to interpret music would have to be based on technical ability wouldn't it? Seems to me they very related concepts.

#949393 01/18/09 10:48 PM
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Too much scale practice without having music to apply it to may be somewhat useless.

But trying to master pieces that demand mastery of scales (and arpeggios and other things) without adequate preparation usually will not work. If you carry that idea far enough, I would say it never works.

Here you are dealing with a chicken and egg question when it should be something different.

Isolated studies and work on repertoire go together. If you have read other threads, by now you will probably see that no two teachers agree entirely about exactly how and when to make these two areas work together, but I think we all agree that this is our goal.

You may also find out that our differences reflect that fact that all of us, in our own ways, are trying to find the best recipe to make it all come together. I tend to teach too much repertoire without enough skills rather than the other way around because I have seen too many over-trained pianists who can play a few things in a very impressive way but who can't read well enough and just don't know enough about how work things out themselves.

This is also a reflection of a bad experience I had with a student, who had an excellent technique (I built it for him) and could polish things very impressively, but never learned how to work enough on his own. I may have stunted him by over-teaching. Since then I have leaned more in the other direction, hoping that at least any student who follows my directions will end up prepared to continue without me.

#949394 01/19/09 02:33 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by GreenRain:
I also love her as a person, since she is always in good mood, very kind and well educated.
But this is really bugging me.
That doesn't make her a good teacher. If you have doubts then she probably isn't.

#949395 01/19/09 05:36 AM
GreenRain, this may be a weird question, but have you tried applying what you learn doing technique exercises in your piece without the guidance of your teacher?

Perhaps your teacher thinks you will figure this out on your own, and so when working on repertoire, she's focusing on other things?

My understanding of "having good technique" is that it's applied automatically. So maybe she is giving you these exercises hoping that it sinks into your playing through your subconscious. However, that isn't always (often?) the case, and perhaps somebody saying "use this technique here" is what you need--whether it's you saying it or she.

#949396 01/19/09 05:11 PM
M
M
Perhaps your teacher isn't saying anything because there is nothing to say. At the beginning stages of learning a piece, it will always be a bit awkward, but as it gets more comfortable, then the awkwardness goes away. If at this point, however, some awkwardness remains, then it is a technical issue that needs to be addressed.

You mentioned that your teacher assigned you easier pieces to work on interpretation. Perhaps since these are easier, there aren't those technical challenges that would normally need addressing. Some people have a natural technique, and others need to be told.

however, it still could come down to communication. Are there places that are giving you technical trouble that you'd like her help on? Let her know. Sometimes a teacher can't tell something is painful or difficult. If there are not such places, then chances are that is the reason your teacher isn't saying something.

Remember, it never hurts to ask. So talk with your teacher about it when in doubt.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#949397 01/19/09 07:28 PM
Impossible!

Originally posted by Morodiene:
Perhaps your teacher isn't saying anything because there is nothing to say.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
#949398 01/19/09 10:51 PM
M
M
Originally posted by Kreisler:
Impossible!

Originally posted by Morodiene:
[b] Perhaps your teacher isn't saying anything because there is nothing to say.
[/b]
Haha! I meant about technique specifically since that is what the post is concerning. :p

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#949399 01/19/09 11:35 PM
W
W
For now, you should attempt to apply your techniques to the pieces you are learning. I was once similarly puzzled by a teacher I had years ago. My source of great frustration was that my scales, trills, and arpeggios weren't as crisp and dead even as his when I played the assigned pieces. I would ask him to help me every week, but all he would say was that they were fine as they were. I about finally went bezerk on him one day.

Now, after years of additional experience, and a few years of part-time teaching under my belt, I understand why he said what he did. There was absolutely nothing he could have showed me that would have evened them out as well as his. Some things just take years and years of diligent practice. Now, I can play scales, arpeggios, and trills so evenly they sound eerily mechanical. The greatest teachers of my life were guides, and sometimes Father Time is the greatest teacher of them all.

A concert should be a profound and magical experience for both
the performer and audience. It is in performance that
you experience the true essence of a composer.

~W. Clark
#949400 01/20/09 03:43 AM
Originally posted by William Clark:

Now, after years of additional experience, and a few years of part-time teaching under my belt, I understand why he said what he did. There was [b]absolutely nothing
he could have showed me that would have evened them out as well as his. Some things just take years and years of diligent practice. Now, I can play scales, arpeggios, and trills so evenly they sound eerily mechanical. The greatest teachers of my life were guides, and sometimes Father Time is the greatest teacher of them all. [/b]
That's also true. I've flat out told some of my students that "that will come with time," when they complain that they can't do it as well as I.

Some things you really can't be taught.

#949401 01/20/09 05:11 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Gary D.:
Too much scale practice without having music to apply it to may be somewhat useless.

But trying to master pieces that demand mastery of scales (and arpeggios and other things) without adequate preparation usually will not work. If you carry that idea far enough, I would say it never works.

Here you are dealing with a chicken and egg question when it should be something different.

Isolated studies and work on repertoire go together. If you have read other threads, by now you will probably see that no two teachers agree entirely about exactly how and when to make these two areas work together, but I think we all agree that this is our goal.

You may also find out that our differences reflect that fact that all of us, in our own ways, are trying to find the best recipe to make it all come together. I tend to teach too much repertoire without enough skills rather than the other way around because I have seen too many over-trained pianists who can play a few things in a very impressive way but who can't read well enough and just don't know enough about how work things out themselves.

This is also a reflection of a bad experience I had with a student, who had an excellent technique (I built it for him) and could polish things very impressively, but never learned how to work enough on his own. I may have stunted him by over-teaching. Since then I have leaned more in the other direction, hoping that at least any student who follows my directions will end up prepared to continue without me.
Thanks for making some things clear. I beleive that its better to play with better interpretation then with good technique but without emotions.

KEYBOARDKLUTZ:

I am not doubting into her ability to teach me. I was just wondering if this is the right way to learn or if I should remind her to work more on my technique

#949402 01/20/09 05:20 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Sal and Morodiene

Thanks for your answers. If i am having problems with some section (pain or tension) i do ask her for advice.

I thought that in order to play with good technique one does always have to be reminded how to hold your hand etc...

It looks like i have a wrong idea about technique, probaly because my first teacher (from grade 1-4) was doing this all the time.

When i changed a teacher, i didnt worked on technique anymore (since i was hardly practicing piano at all)

#949403 01/20/09 05:23 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
For now, you should attempt to apply your techniques to the pieces you are learning. I was once similarly puzzled by a teacher I had years ago. My source of great frustration was that my scales, trills, and arpeggios weren't as crisp and dead even as his when I played the assigned pieces. I would ask him to help me every week, but all he would say was that they were fine as they were. I about finally went bezerk on him one day.

Now, after years of additional experience, and a few years of part-time teaching under my belt, I understand why he said what he did. There was [b]absolutely nothing
he could have showed me that would have evened them out as well as his. Some things just take years and years of diligent practice. Now, I can play scales, arpeggios, and trills so evenly they sound eerily mechanical. The greatest teachers of my life were guides, and sometimes Father Time is the greatest teacher of them all. [/b]
Thanks for posting, it's nice to read about experiences from other members.

Ps: I wish that this forum would have multiquote option.

#949404 01/20/09 08:36 PM
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
If you "went bezerk on him", how did he respond? I've never had a student do that to me. smile

#949405 01/22/09 11:16 AM
M
M
Originally posted by GreenRain:
Sal and Morodiene

Thanks for your answers. If i am having problems with some section (pain or tension) i do ask her for advice.

I thought that in order to play with good technique one does always have to be reminded how to hold your hand etc...

It looks like i have a wrong idea about technique, probaly because my first teacher (from grade 1-4) was doing this all the time.

When i changed a teacher, i didnt worked on technique anymore (since i was hardly practicing piano at all)
A good elementary piano teacher will do this, because it develops good technical habits. Once that is well established, however, there is no need for the constant reminders, because you are doing it naturally. Also remember that how you shape your hands does depends on what you're playing (Mozart vs. Chopin, for example). Once you're at this point in your development, technique is more focused on how to make difficult passages more comfortable, under control, faster, etc.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#949406 01/22/09 11:19 AM
M
M
Originally posted by Sal_:
[b]
Now, after years of additional experience, and a few years of part-time teaching under my belt, I understand why he said what he did. There was [b]absolutely nothing he could have showed me that would have evened them out as well as his. Some things just take years and years of diligent practice. Now, I can play scales, arpeggios, and trills so evenly they sound eerily mechanical. The greatest teachers of my life were guides, and sometimes Father Time is the greatest teacher of them all. [/b]
That's also true. I've flat out told some of my students that "that will come with time," when they complain that they can't do it as well as I.

Some things you really can't be taught. [/b]
Some students think they will "catch up" with me someday. But as long as I keep progressing, that will just not be possible. there really is no substitute for time. laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission