2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally posted by tickler:

Watch the first half hour of "Gone with the Wind". What Scarlett O'Hara and all the other young women are wearing are hoop skirts.

Mary
Thanks, Mary--but I wasn't trying to find out what hoopskirts in general look like. I just wondered if our Betty happened to have any pictures of HER own mad party days when she wore one! laugh laugh laugh

Also, regarding male teachers in olden times, there is an interesting chapter in Laura Ingalls Wilder's Farmer Boy, her book about her husband's childhood in upstate New York in the mid-1800s. She recounts her husband's memory of a male teacher confronting some serious school violence. Apparently a local gang of teenagers called the Hardscrabble Boys boasted that no teacher could last the year in that school. According to Wilder, they had actually beaten the previous (male) teacher to death. So Almanzo was afraid when he saw how puny the new teacher was. But of course the new teacher drove the gang out, using weapons of his own (a horsewhip supplied by Almanzo's father).
I think of that story whenever I hear people longing for the good old days before our society became so violent.

You got faults,defects, or shortcomings? Like arthritis,rheumatism or migraines? Whatever part of your body it is,I want you to lay it on the radio. Let the vibes flow through! Funk not only moves,it can RE-move, dig? The desired effect is what you get,when you improve your inter-planetary funksmanship.
-George Clinton,Grandmaster of Funk
B
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B
Joyolympia,

I knew what you wanted and I'm been hiding out since I read it. There probably is a picture of me wearing dresses like those, but the hoop is underneath of course. I will have to take a look and see what I can find - then burn them all. I would much rather send you a picture of me at 17 in a swim suit.

Mary, those gowns in Gone With the Wind were gorgeous as were the antebellum houses - you brought memories back of a very long movie from long ago.

Everyone, this has been a really lively topic, and I've enjoyed it fabulously.

Betty

Betty,
Oh, dear... having you hiding out is the last thing I would want to happen! I enjoy reading your delightful, wise posts too much for that. So I retract any request that puts you on the spot. I'm sure when you wore your prom dress you looked JUST like Vivian Leigh anyway! -Joy

You got faults,defects, or shortcomings? Like arthritis,rheumatism or migraines? Whatever part of your body it is,I want you to lay it on the radio. Let the vibes flow through! Funk not only moves,it can RE-move, dig? The desired effect is what you get,when you improve your inter-planetary funksmanship.
-George Clinton,Grandmaster of Funk
B
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B
Joy!

You mean I've missed all those opportunites these many years of dressing up for Halloween using my hoop skirted ballgown?

I don't stay hidden for very long, as I'm too curious to see what is going on in the forum.

You are so much fun, Joy! It's great to have you here!

Are you up to new things in performance?

Betty

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Until the late 1980's, long after professional dress for women included smart-looking trouser-suits, all female faculty at the institution where I taught were required to wear dresses or skirts and blouses/sweaters. Protestations that Philadelphia area winters - albeit not as cold as those of, say, Minnesota - made the wearing of dresses or skirts uncomfortable if not a hardship were ignored.

Oddly, there were never any clothing guidelines for male faculty whose attire gradually became more and more casual as the end of the century approached. Some of us men, however few we became, continued to appear in the classroom always wearing a jacket and tie. :rolleyes:

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission