Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#949669 - 10/14/08 12:02 AM Recital Fee
trillingadventurer Offline

Loc: San Diego
Does anyone require a recital fee? I normally have not, but it does cost me money to reserve the hall and also I am not teaching on the day of the recital

Thanks

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#949670 - 10/14/08 12:10 AM Re: Recital Fee
DoReMi Katie Offline

Loc: Illinois
This year I started charging an annual non-refundable registration fee of $20 per family. I tell them this will cover recital costs - including hall rental and awards, and also will go towards my own piano maintainance.

the tricky thing about a recital fee is what if they don't plan to or can't participate in the recital, or get sick last minute? Are they still required to be financially involved?

#949671 - 10/14/08 08:30 AM Re: Recital Fee
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I don't, but I don't charge by the lesson. I charge tuition each semester that covers the cost of lessons, recitals, etc...

I consider myself a business, with revenue and overhead, not a contract laborer who simply gets an hourly wage.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#949672 - 10/14/08 08:38 AM Re: Recital Fee
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
Absolutely.

Why should hosting a recital leave you out of pocket?

My recitals usually involve around 50 students because both myself and my wife teach. This requires the use of a substantial venue and the length of the event means we need an interval in which refreshments are provided. It costs a lot of money. We charge enough for tickets to cover the costs. So far nobody has complained and everyone has a great evening.

#949673 - 10/14/08 08:52 AM Re: Recital Fee
lalakeys Offline

Loc: Chicago 'burbs
I have never charged a recital fee, because two of the churches where I play the organ let me use their facilities free of charge. But in your situation, I think that I would have a frank talk with parents and explain that in order to have a recital this year it will cost "X" dollars (include the cost of renting the hall, tuning the piano, printing the programs, refreshments, etc.) Most parents would gladly offer to share the cost, I think. And I think that those students who are unable to participate in the recital should not have to pay a recital fee--but then, I'm a stickler for fairness!

#949674 - 10/14/08 09:26 AM Re: Recital Fee
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I use to charge a recital fee when I would have to rent a church for a recital. I would also charge my voice students for accompanying them. However, since I now have a studio that is large enough to hold the recital, I only charge for accompanying now. I consider the cost of chair rentals a part of my regular expenses.

In the future, I may charge a registration fee as well to cover miscellaneous expenses like this.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#949675 - 10/14/08 09:40 AM Re: Recital Fee
musiclady Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
With my student concerts I do a free will offering, families contribute whatever they can afford, though most of my families contribute at least $20 towards the cost of the concert, and a couple give at least double that amount. (usually those families with multiple children taking lessons with me or my boyfriend (who also teaches) We have about 25 students between us, and because he's the music director of a church where I live, we get to use the church facilities for 20% of the money collected (but some families bring the student's close friends and family, and members of the church community come out to see it, so we sometimes collect a rather substantial amount, even when we give the church 20%.

Last spring I tried to charge a recital fee, because I had planned to do much more with the recital than in previous years (for example, I was going to pay a recording enginner friend to record the concert) but that didn't go over too well.

Meri

#949676 - 10/14/08 11:18 AM Re: Recital Fee
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I figure a recital fee into my students' annual enrollment/registration/materials fee. Adding $10 or so per student is not a problem when it's part of the bigger package of yearly supplies. You can even divide it out over each month and include it in tuition. Requesting for it as an 'extra' fee wouldn't be very popular.

That being said, most dance studios charge ticket fees for all who attend dance recitals. Along with $80 costumes for a one-time performance, I don't hear many complaints about these policies.

There is a lot of work and money that goes into planning a recital and I have no problem being fairly compensated for it.

#949677 - 10/14/08 02:24 PM Re: Recital Fee
Morodiene Online   content

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
No one ever gave me a hard time about a recital fee because I presented it as a way to pay for the space being used. I think if it is presented ahead of time (when students sign up for lessons) then it's not a shocker when the time comes. But I think having it a part of an enrollment or registration fee works better.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#949678 - 10/14/08 04:06 PM Re: Recital Fee
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Student's enrollment fees cover many miscellaneous expenses, including recitals. They do not cover special events, however, such as Guild auditions.

It works well, weeds out the non-serious, and keeps you from being nickeled and dimed every time you turn around.

#949679 - 10/14/08 07:11 PM Re: Recital Fee
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I used to charge a recital fee of $10 per family, but now I just roll it into their semester tuition.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#949680 - 10/15/08 02:21 AM Re: Recital Fee

Thank you all.

I can't express how grateful I am for all the sharing and information.

#949681 - 10/15/08 01:36 PM Re: Recital Fee
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I didn't post it, but my Annual Registration Fee is $75. I've only had one parent grip about it, and she grips about everything, so it's not surprising.

Breakdown - $15 covers recital expenses; $25 covers DVD recording of lessons; $10 covers Keyboard Explorer magazine for students; the remaining $25 covers door prizes, certificates, and all that miscellaneous stuff (I also bring back Kinder Eggs from Germany for students - they love them. They cost me about $1 each and I generally bring back 4 dozen to hand out throughout the year.)

#949682 - 10/16/08 08:25 AM Re: Recital Fee
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains

#949683 - 10/16/08 09:33 AM Re: Recital Fee
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

That's BAD NEWS! The nanny police have already banned them from the USA. I'm always surprised customs lets me through with them.

#949684 - 10/16/08 10:10 AM Re: Recital Fee
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada
They exist in Canada. My son just discovered that bagged milk is unknown in the US. True?

#949685 - 10/16/08 11:19 AM Re: Recital Fee
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Uh, what's "bagged milk?" ;\)

#949686 - 10/16/08 12:37 PM Re: Recital Fee
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Keystring, do you mean milk in cardboard containers that doesn't require refrigeration until opened? If so, yes, we do have that here.

#949687 - 10/16/08 01:12 PM Re: Recital Fee
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by trillingadventurer:
Does anyone require a recital fee? I normally have not, but it does cost me money to reserve the hall and also I am not teaching on the day of the recital [/b]
Of course you should charge the parents! When I figure out the costs, I divide it by the number of participants. I do the same thing for my entry fees and association fees, for which there is a "teacher fee." In my opinion, the teacher should not have to pay for students to perform, compete, or take a test for the piano. I state that point clearly in my contract.

#949688 - 10/16/08 03:13 PM Re: Recital Fee
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
AZN,

I would, and have, gone so far as to divide expenses by the number of ALL the students in the studio as recitals and other events are planned as an opportunity for all students to participate in.

My "rationale" being there is NO ADVANTAGE to not participating because everyone has been charged for the opportunity.

That means lesser prices for all for these events. Eliminating the ones who begged off from participating in the "kitty" makes future recitals questionable if only a few attend and sponsor their own event.

If you have extra monies left over from this recital that you did not spend, put it forward to support the next recital, etc. One day you may have enough there for a significatn award system for your achievers, or toward a scholarship, or having a guest performer/master class event.

Yes, they should sponsor the events you conduct from fees paid across the board by students enrolled. There is power in numbers, especially when it is money we are talking about.

Betty

#949689 - 10/16/08 07:02 PM Re: Recital Fee
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
OK, I'm intrigued. What is bagged milk? If it's as John suggests, we call it "long-life" milk here. I just kept thinking of milk bags you might use like tea bags \:\) .

#949690 - 10/16/08 07:22 PM Re: Recital Fee

John, nope. Frycek & Currawong,
This:
bag alone
bag of bags
Plebeian
fancy
You guys don't have these? \:D

KS

#949691 - 10/16/08 07:32 PM Re: Recital Fee
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keystring:
You guys don't have these? \:D [/b]
Nope. What a sheltered life I lead!

So that's liquid milk in the first bag, not powdered, I take it? Do you decant it into a jug? And is it fresh, or long-life? All these vital questions can and must be answered!

And just so it doesn't seem like I'm derailing the thread, I think I'd incorporate the recital fee either into the tuition fee, or some sort of registration fee. Or if the costs aren't too great, charge admission, either by a fixed amount or donation. Or charge for refreshments.

#949692 - 10/16/08 07:34 PM Re: Recital Fee
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Cool - well, I do the family shopping, and I know that food prices have doubled since 2002, but I've never seen this before. Even on my trips to Vancouver. Are they refrigerated?

#949693 - 10/16/08 08:12 PM Re: Recital Fee

Having thoroughly derailed the thread now:
It's refrigerated. Liquid normal regular milk. The bag holder a la my named "plebian" is especially shaped for it: costs about $1.50 and is a permanent part of the household. You slide a bag into the holder, snip the spout side of the bag and it's ready to pour. Humourous things happen if you snip the spout before, and then try to put the bag in the holder. Think "geyser". We even have a special "snipper" though most of us lose the snipper and use scissors.

Heck, this has been around for at least 25 years. It was probably right in the Vancouver store but you didn't recognize it as milk. It comes in these fat bags of three bags holding about a gallon altogether.

Wish I had something to volunteer on-topic. :rolleyes:

#949694 - 10/16/08 08:23 PM Re: Recital Fee
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Wow, keystring, I am amazed \:\) . When it finally appears on our shelves I'll be able to say "oh, but they've had it in Canada for decades"

Here in the antipodes we hack our way through the bush every morning and milk the cow...

#949695 - 10/17/08 12:39 AM Re: Recital Fee
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
\:D

Bagged milk...

I've had milk in a box, a carton, a plastic jug, a glass bottle, a styrofoam container, and a plastic bottle. I've even seen milk in a tin can (shelf life: forever).

But never in a bag. There's a first for everything.

#949696 - 10/17/08 08:55 AM Re: Recital Fee
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
This thread gave me the first laugh of teh day, and I needed it! Thank you \:\)
A whole thread about bagged milk! complete with pictures..
I have always thought that piano teachers are a bit of a strange (apecial) lot.. \:\)

#949697 - 10/23/08 06:59 AM Re: Recital Fee
lotuscrystal Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I would never charge for a recital. I feel it's the piano teachers way of 'giving back'...presenting a night for everyone to enjoy.

The most my families contribute is to bring a 'snack plate' to share after the recital...there's a huge smorgasbord of food, and everyone feels a part of it.

If renting a venue is too expensive, find a local church, many have grand pianos, and their fees are small. You could even offer the church to put on a 'night of music' at a future date(with your more advanced students performing)in exchange for them allowing you to use their church for your recital.

I would not advise it to be a wise business move to charge for piano recitals...they are only students, not concert pianists.

#949698 - 10/26/08 11:10 PM Re: Recital Fee

Hm! I always thought the prizes in Kinderuberaschungs were so cool!

Last year I had to move my recital location due to the fires here in San Diego (we were evacuated...). I tried so hard to find a church that would do it and they were all quite pricey....Perhaps I was barking up the wrong church trees...Now I am doing them at SDPiano.com. Their fee is very reasonable and they are easy to work with. It's nice not to have to worry about chairs and the piano being tuned etc.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (3rd Ear, Anote, Al LaPorte, 40 invisible), 1475 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74258 Members
42 Forums
153608 Topics
2251306 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice needed: what to do with piano during a major remodel
by akita
04/20/14 02:31 PM
Few questions from a newbie regarding Bach and playing piano
by The Lark Ascending
04/20/14 02:18 PM
Should I play piano with different tone setting?
by Clannad
04/20/14 01:53 PM
I just can't get my head around temperament!
by LarryShone
04/20/14 01:05 PM
clavinova clp 115
by rochoula
04/20/14 01:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission