Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#950217 - 04/29/08 09:51 AM Leaving position
kissyana Offline

Loc: Northeast Illinois
I am leaving one of my teaching positions. I have too much on my plate and at this point and it is effecting my work, teaching, and health. I will be leaving several wonderful students and I know I will miss them dearly. My last day will be in late June. I've never done anything like this before and I was wondering when I should notify my students/their parents. My instincts are to notify them right away because I like to be open and honest. I just need a bit of guidance. This is not a "job" that I can just walk away from.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#950218 - 04/29/08 11:20 AM Re: Leaving position
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Oh, I know kissyana...teaching is not just 'a job'. We get so involved with our students.

I think you should let them know fairly soon. A letter written, yes, but in person during the lesson would be better.

And to have some kind of wrapping up session with your students will feel so much better for you and for them.

You could also guide them finding a new teacher and even have something on each student that could be passed to the new teacher -

Each student could put on a personal recital for you in the last lesson or a group lesson could be made with 4 students for 2 hrs to share music with one another and then a wrap up with piano games, picture taking, zoom recording etc.

You could call it a celebration of what we have learned together!

Edit:
A list of books to carry them over for the summer, or even books that you buy for them (they pay you back) would help during the time without a teacher. (Most teachers start a set of new students in the fall.)

Best regards to you, LL

#950219 - 04/29/08 01:07 PM Re: Leaving position
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Well, if I expect my students to give me a one-month written notice for quitting, I'd provide the same courtesy for them. I never had to do this (yet!), but I would imagine the following:

1) Give each parent a letter, using apologetic tone and showing gratitude for what has transpired so far in lessons.

2) Make the final lessons as pleasant as possible. Don't assign big, new pieces. Work on perfecting some little ones, fun pieces.

3) Play for the students. Introduce them to pieces that they can work on with their new teacher. Make recommendations for books.

4) Obviously, make professional referrals to other piano teachers in the area. When my first piano teacher left the country, she handed me and all of her students to her friend and colleague, who turned out to be a better, more experienced and responsible, teacher.

#950220 - 04/30/08 11:22 AM Re: Leaving position
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i think 'playing for students' is a great idea, and a teacher should be proud of going away with a recital like that, and i would be grateful if my teacher would do that for me when he leaves this year.

#950221 - 04/30/08 01:26 PM Re: Leaving position
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
A month's notice is fine. Along with a letter (and I recommend personalizing each one to discuss the pleasure you've had with the student, etc.), you should send a list of teachers in the area to help them get started in finding a new teacher. Be sure that you know the teachers you are referring, and if you don't know them, call them up and find out if they are worth referring. I would send the letter first, then openly discuss things with parents and kids at the lesson. I don't think telling them in person would be good, because I'm sure there would be tears. Let the child and parents react at home, and then they'll be better prepared for it during the last lessons.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#950222 - 04/30/08 01:43 PM Re: Leaving position
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
When my wife & I made the decision to return to the USA from Germany, I started notifying students in June, then announced it "officially" at the June recital. I said I would continue teaching until the movers came and got the pianos. About half of the students continued in the Fall, right up until November when the pianos were picked up. Believe me, it was tough leaving. But think of all the great students I've had here in the last 10 years.

#950223 - 04/30/08 03:08 PM Re: Leaving position
kissyana Offline

Loc: Northeast Illinois
Thank you for all your suggestions. I am really going to miss these students. I like the idea of playing for them, writing letters, etc. I'm not sure if I'm really allowed to give them a list of teachers since I work at a music school and signed a contract saying I wouldn't steal students and such. Most of them will probably switch to another teacher at the school.
John- I would have been one of those students who stayed until those pianos were moved!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
167 registered (accordeur, 36251, ABC Vermonter, A Guy, 47 invisible), 1790 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153704 Topics
2253287 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practing songs vs. doing excersises
by cowchin12
8 minutes 19 seconds ago
The Art of the Sound Clip
by Jolly
Today at 02:52 PM
5 Abstract Studies
by Simon Hester
Today at 02:37 PM
Chopin Prelude in C Minor
by arty
Today at 02:14 PM
Question for shigeru owners.. what sounded similar ?
by Brother Methias
Today at 01:51 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission