Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#950449 - 11/16/08 01:43 AM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
Frances M Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island, Washington
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this, and your encouragement. It's been very helpful to read through your posts. I'm going to talk with our teacher about adding a composition lesson, with a different teacher who specializes in it. Our teacher knows about my daughter's interest in composing, and has encouraged it, but even with an hour lesson each week, there isn't enough time to focus on it. This is something my daughter & I need to explore, because it's her passion. I really appreciate all your comments; you've made me aware of many things to consider as we look for a teacher.

I hope this thread has been helpful to others as well. I searched the archives for a similar thread, and I looked other places online, and didn't find much.

best regards,
Frances

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#950450 - 11/16/08 02:01 AM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
lotuscrystal Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I currently teach an 8 year old female student 1 hour of piano, and 30 min. of composition each week...she would be my youngest 'composer' student, though there are others a little older. I'm a composer, as well as a performer, so teaching composition is not an issue for me, and I absolutely love being witness to, and guiding compositional talent in the young...I encourage any student towards composition, if they so much as voice a slight interest in it :)I believe that kind of level of creativity, as a desire to learn composition at such a young age, must be intrinsic, and I'm an advocator of any gift which may suggest one is born with an aptitude for it.

so Frances, best of luck with your daughter! \:\)

#950451 - 11/16/08 02:15 AM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Ah, if only I had an hour and a half to teach some talented kids instead of just 1/2 hour. (sigh)

#950452 - 11/16/08 02:35 AM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
Nannerl Mozart Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia, Melbourne
do you ever go overtime Gary?

#950453 - 11/16/08 02:40 AM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rebekah.L:
do you ever go overtime Gary? [/b]
Yes, but normally only when someone comes early, when a student is absent, or after a lesson is supposed to end, when the next does not come.

I was much more free with extra time when I was younger. I'm not just in it for the money, but my age gives me less energy. I can't keep going as long as I used to. \:\(

#950454 - 11/16/08 03:17 AM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
lotuscrystal Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary D.:
Ah, if only I had an hour and a half to teach some talented kids instead of just 1/2 hour. (sigh) [/b]
Believe me Gary, it's a luxury I'm only able to reserve for a few...and that means, it's a luxury for me too \:\)

#950455 - 11/16/08 03:29 AM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

It's not about reserving time.

It's about the cost.

People don't even take an hour of time here. I would opt for two 1/3 lessons a week for any talented student, even a serious student.

It just doesn't happen where I live. It used to…

#950456 - 11/16/08 03:37 AM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
lotuscrystal Offline

Look, as I said, it's a luxury for me too...to be honest, in my experience, it's only the asian students who have parents willing to devote such financial and practical dedication to their child's musical studies, with extended lesson times. Usually, these students aren't overloaded with extra-curricular events, like swimming, tennis, theatre, other sports...it's music and maybe an odd school tutor once a week, so these parents and students are very devoted to music studies. Just making an observation from my experience.

#950457 - 11/16/08 12:08 PM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Another thing is that under no circumstances
should you switch from her present teacher.
In cases like this, the teacher is often
some seemingly unimpressive neighborhood
teacher, and so there is the tendency to
want to switch to a "better" teacher.
However, the current teacher is largely the
reason for the prodigious talent. Parents
have difficulty accepting this; they
feel that it must be their genes and
not the teacher, and that the talent
is independent of the teacher. So
they switch to some stuffed shirt with
big credentials and a big reputation, and an
ego to match, and this new teacher proceeds
to thoroughly destroy the student's talent.

So I would leave things exactly as they
are. Alas, but it is in human nature
to destroy what is outstanding. When we
see a beautiful flower, we can't resist
plucking it and putting in a container
filled with water, thereby destroying it.

#950458 - 11/16/08 12:19 PM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Why must you make this "point" to just about everyone who asks any question about their children's musical education. Do you not see that it is meaningless given the lack of information you have? Do you not see that you offer no criteria for when to switch that a reasonable person could use to evaluate their own personal case. Do you not see that your dogmatic insistence on this 'point' guarantees that any thinking person will discard everything you say.

Bah, why do I waste my time?
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#950459 - 11/16/08 03:52 PM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
pianoexcellence Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Abbotsford, BC, Canada
 Quote:
Originally posted by Gyro:
Another thing is that under no circumstances
should you switch from her present teacher.
In cases like this, the teacher is often
some seemingly unimpressive neighborhood
teacher, and so there is the tendency to
want to switch to a "better" teacher.
However, the current teacher is largely the
reason for the prodigious talent. Parents
have difficulty accepting this; they
feel that it must be their genes and
not the teacher, and that the talent
is independent of the teacher. So
they switch to some stuffed shirt with
big credentials and a big reputation, and an
ego to match, and this new teacher proceeds
to thoroughly destroy the student's talent.

So I would leave things exactly as they
are. Alas, but it is in human nature
to destroy what is outstanding. When we
see a beautiful flower, we can't resist
plucking it and putting in a container
filled with water, thereby destroying it. [/b]
I do not share this experience.

In my music eduation, changing from a "neighborhood" teacher to a serious teacher with serious credentials was the most important step in my career.

Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT
Pianoexcellence Tuning and Repairs

#950460 - 11/16/08 04:02 PM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Follow the lead of the child.....

#950461 - 11/16/08 07:25 PM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
 Quote:
In my music eduation, changing from a "neighborhood" teacher to a serious teacher with serious credentials was the most important step in my career.
.... and this likely would be the case for the vast majority of successful musicians and music educators.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#950462 - 11/16/08 08:58 PM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
 Quote:
.... and this likely would be the case for the vast majority of successful musicians and music educators. [/b]
Which comes back to "fit", the right teacher for the right student. It doesn't always happen, but when it does it's magic.

#950463 - 11/16/08 11:50 PM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I incorporate improvisation and some composing in my group and private lessons. In the beginning, with very young students (4 and 5 year olds) I have them notate a simple melody using just the notes 'do, re, and mi' in any combination. They don't even have to play it on the piano, just draw the notes first, then play the melody. At first the songs consist of only whole notes; later on I'll help them decide to make them quarter or half notes, etc....

With my 1st/2nd graders I get them improvising first, by using 'question/answer'. I'll play a question on the piano, they play back anything in the 5-finger position that will end on the tonic. This becomes part of their regular routine so that when it's time to write a 'question/answer' melody, they can easily do it. I always give perimeters, though. So it's their creation, with guidance. The next step after creating the melody is then to figure out what kind of chords to use in the accompaniment: I stick with blocked I-IV-V7 chords first; then later we'll do broken chords, alberti bass, waltz bass, etc...

FJH has a series of composing books called 'The Music in Me'. I've used them as well.

I noticed that the OP lives in Washington state. If the student is taking lessons from an MTNA member, there are opportunities available for the budding composer: http://www.wsmta.net/student_programs.html

#950464 - 12/14/08 10:29 AM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
musiclady Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Of course! I've even taught composition to students as young as 4, for the younger ones with myself notating their pieces in conventional notation and the more experienced ones learning to write out the music for themselves, which they have had practice writing music through theory exercises. Some of my student's families have asked for advice on getting a notation program for home use on their computer, though usually I copy out their pieces onto my computer and print them which I then give to them.

Meri

#950465 - 12/14/08 05:19 PM Re: Can (or should) composition be taught to an 8-yr old?
Larisa Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
I started taking composition lessons when I was 7, and my experience was very much like your daughter's - I'd scribble musical ideas on any scrap of paper, improvise for hours, whistle all the time (and before I learned to whistle, I hummed all the time). My parents would copy out my music for me more neatly than my own scribbles.

I would definitely recommend some composition lessons for your daughter. Maybe even group lessons, so she can meet other kids who compose. (I always liked to hear what everyone else was coming up with...)

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Break Free" by Ariana Grande on Piano
by Zach Evans
09/23/14 06:37 PM
V-Grand delivery on Friday!
by TonyB
09/23/14 06:36 PM
Kawai CE220 CA65 cabinet vibrations
by origen
09/23/14 04:43 PM
Baldwin 243 for Grade 4 students - Advice please!
by LeslieG
09/23/14 04:39 PM
Exorcist movie main theme
by Danijelcro
09/23/14 12:03 PM
Who's Online
118 registered (accordeur, 36251, anotherscott, 36 invisible), 1187 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76297 Members
42 Forums
157714 Topics
2316633 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission