Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#950851 - 04/27/05 04:26 PM How to keep a healthy attutide toward heavy teaching load?
princessclara2005 Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
When you teaching 60 students a week,
from 3:30 - 9:00 pm, weeks after weeks throughout the whole year, even you are patient and passionant about teaching and music, you probably will feel the burning of teaching, honestly, it gets old.

What will you do to keep a healthy attutide in this situtation?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#950852 - 04/27/05 07:04 PM Re: How to keep a healthy attutide toward heavy teaching load?
Rob Mullins Offline

Loc: LA CA
Hi,
First thing to do is to cut back your workload if you can afford it. There are only so many hours of good teaching a week in any teacher, and you may need to scale it back a bit in order to stay positive.
Doing something non piano related like walking or playing tennis for a few hours will help you get your mind off the load for awhile so you can re-attack your work.
I also play gigs at night on the weekends where my students can come see what I have been teaching put to use. Great way to socialize and keep everything moving forward.

#950853 - 04/27/05 08:29 PM Re: How to keep a healthy attutide toward heavy teaching load?
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Been there, done that...
and burned out.

I would also suggest having something else in your life that you are passionate about to help balance things and maybe cut back to teaching 3-4 full days.

Roberta

#950854 - 04/28/05 02:52 PM Re: How to keep a healthy attutide toward heavy teaching load?
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Network with other piano teachers.

Take vacations.

What others said about having non-piano interests.

Read the "Smelly Student" thread, and count your blessings. \:\)

#950855 - 04/28/05 04:00 PM Re: How to keep a healthy attutide toward heavy teaching load?

Can't affort to cut back, I have to have 55 students weekly and year around to even be able to afford the basics to stay alive.

I have found that practice and exercise in the mornings gave me great deal of energy, so that I can survive with the endless students from afternoon to evening.

I am required to be in 3 performances over the year with the school that I am working for, don't want to increase that.

Teaching is not very glmaoures as I initially thought, next life, I would consider doing something very different.

#950856 - 04/28/05 05:59 PM Re: How to keep a healthy attutide toward heavy teaching load?
cranky woman Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I love teaching, but I did get very burnt out a few years ago! I used to teach about 50 students a week, plus theory classes at a university as well as starting my own music company. (I also had a young family of 3 children and a very patient husband)

Needless to say, I got burnt out! I took a 2 year break in teaching so that I could focus on my family and traveling for my business and that really seemed to do the trick! I now limit my studio to 10 students a week with each student getting a 40 min lesson 3 times a month and a 1 hour group lesson once a month. It has been HEAVEN!!! I'm back to loving what I do.

I also run everyday and have become passionate about running. I've completed 3 marathons in the past year and a half and can't wait to do more. Running is my therapy!

I'm also very active in my MTNA chapter which keeps me in touch with local peers.

Good luck! I remember well how you feel. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Charlene

#950857 - 04/29/05 05:15 AM Re: How to keep a healthy attutide toward heavy teaching load?
miseenplace Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Ah, you work in a "music academy." ;\)

Do you have a secondary instrument, like violin or guitar? You can start teaching group violin in your home. That might allow you to cut back a little.

Either that or start group tutoring K-5 Math. and English.

Say meez-ahn-plaz

All Hail the Sixteen Men of Tain!

#950858 - 04/30/05 10:04 AM Re: How to keep a healthy attutide toward heavy teaching load?

yeah...music academy in which teaching involves getting paid to hear them practice, displine, offer tips on how to practice, rather than talking about music.

#950859 - 05/04/05 05:00 AM Re: How to keep a healthy attutide toward heavy teaching load?
miseenplace Offline

I think, the best thing music teachers can do is to work for themselves. In fact, that's what I think in general, that everyone should work for themselves.

So start off slow. Teach one or two students at home and see how it goes. You never know.

Get inspired, get in a position to tolerate a little risk, be OK with the fact that you're gonna be OK eating tuna out of a can for a few meals a week, or that you're not gonna be getting a new pair of jeans for a year. It's OK! ;\)

Say meez-ahn-plaz

#950860 - 05/04/05 10:09 AM Re: How to keep a healthy attutide toward heavy teaching load?

I refuse to eat tuna out of a can for few weeks, or no shopping for several years.

I think music is a wonderful subject, either teaching or performing, somehow this society looks it very differently, from 4 years of teaching experience, I feel ppl just in general doesn't respect their piano teacher as their doctor or lawyer, why? what's the difference between these ocuptions? we are an elite group that has special skills.

Working for yourself sounds like a good idea, however until you get to the details, that you have to face your students as their teacher, the payment collector, the scheduler, the recital organizor, and on top of that, trying to be their friend too, it gets way too complicated than you anticipated initially.

If teaching is your only income, excludes the occasional paid performance opportunities you may have throughout the year, starting with 1-2 students and see how it goes is going to eat you up, especailly nothing else is going slow, rent, gas, food, insurance, it is going to tear you apart.

I feel the burning of teaching, I want to maintain a healthy mental stage where I don't think it too negativally, one thing that comes to mind is that at least I am not worried when students tell me that they are off to vacation for 2 month, and I will be panicing for the loose of my 2 month income and despiratly to fill the hole.

#950861 - 05/04/05 11:00 AM Re: How to keep a healthy attutide toward heavy teaching load?
miseenplace Offline

Ah! Understandable. I can only encourage you, not make you. \:\) Dispel those doubts princess! Get rid of that Hermann's head naysayer sitting on your left shoulder.

1) You're worth it.

2) You will be OK.

3) Don't be afraid if you don't have "things." They're only things.

4) You have your music, your soul, your sense of self, your confidence.

Control your destiny! You're worth it!

Say meez-ahn-plaz

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, ando, ajames, 48 invisible), 1898 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156229 Topics
2294478 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is a Yamaha P35 appropriate for church services?
by Giancarlo Robles
54 minutes 47 seconds ago
Need suggestions for Music Room
by Gatsbee13
Today at 03:39 PM
Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
by Dwscamel
Today at 12:52 PM
What do you think made you passionate about music/piano?
by Spuds
Today at 11:45 AM
Tune lab question
by RonTuner
Today at 11:32 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission