Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#951090 - 10/04/07 04:09 PM Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin info please teachers.
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas,Va
Dear Teachers, Rhapsody In Blue... So many wonderful private replies to this and all men. They said the same thing," You can do this too Sandy." One man said it took him about 150 hours to tackle this big project. I am retired so why not? GREAT NEWS...I found it today the original. My church Methodist musician died several years,I was 11 years old when we met, we were close friends, her daughter showed up at my door with her entire music collection to give me.I put away most of the collection and bring out from time to time. Yes, it is was there the book she gave me called,"Music by Gershwin" The University Society Inc. With the original Rhapsody In Blue. It does not look difficult at all now after 6 years of being retired and playing piano and reading music often. Ready to go and begin this new challenge at 68 years old. I can do this as the members of Piano World have told me so often lately. Cheers, Sandy B

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#951091 - 10/08/07 02:32 PM Re: Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin info please teachers.
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Dear Teachers, Last night on the telephone this happened: My piano teacher-mentor-friend, Glenn Rapoport of the Washington DC Metro Area, he taught me improv in the 80's, He teaches to concert level classical piano and could perform Mozart on piano at the Kennedy Center. Glenn is coming next month to start our "Rhapsoday in Blue" play off. Literally. He said I can do this. He spoils me with this remark for many years now," You are the most talented of all of my students in my 30 years of piano teaching." How can you not love this man saying this to you? He is younger at 64 years old, semi-retired but still teaching piano. For me at 68 years old life gets better and better at the piano. Thank you so very much Frank B, as, this is part of your vision for us. Big thanks to you teachers , other members of Piano World, my teacher-mentor-friend, Glenn. I told him how much the teachers, you, have helped me in our Piano World Forums and how this was the vision for us of Frank B, Our Founder. He said to thank you for helping me and his respects to Frank B. His dad was a Russian Jewish Concertmaster violinst with the Portland Maine Symphony, for many, many years. Music is in our souls and we share that both our dad's were professional musicians, mine sax, in a Society Band in Washington DC, in the 20's and 30's. Music is our world and keeps a strong bond of friendship between us. Glenn never married, except to his Steinway grand, our private joke I am sharing with you now. Many of his students have become his family. What a beautiful world of music my retired years have become. I pray the same for you. Cheers, Sandy B

#951092 - 10/08/07 10:50 PM Re: Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin info please teachers.
Mile Hi Steve Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
If you're doing these conversations mostly by little private messages, why don't you just keep them that way. The problem is I just don't care about your private messages.

However I will say I like Rhapsody in Blue and good luck with it. You may get more response on a United Airlines forum.

#951093 - 10/10/07 02:54 AM Re: Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin info please teachers.
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Sandra has experienced the marvellous bonanza of becoming heir to a friend’s lifetime collection of music ... the time-lines tie in with a 1930s admiration for the work of George Gershwin
(sparked by “Rhapsody in Blue”) .

The first page of my PIANO SOLO edition by Chappell & Co. Ltd., includes the original signature of George Gershwin ... which suggests
an authentic version for keyboard ... and looks like this ...

web page

Somehow I always hear a Benny Goodman clarinet making that opening trill and racing up those 17 four-flag notes to hit that sustained Bflat in the 2nd measure.

#951094 - 10/10/07 10:47 PM Re: Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin info please teachers.
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Think wallpaper!

Wouldn't the web page btb included be great as wallpaper? And, of course it should be printed in blue ink! Maybe for the bathroom with a toilet that plays the opening line as you push the handle. A designer flapper valve - top of the line - designer wastebasket, hamper, towels. Martha Stewart are you listening?

I almost put a 17' border of Chopin's Prelude in E minor across the overhang into the living room from my piano teaching loft at my previous home. The width of the room was exactly 17' which made it very possible. I couldn't imagine anyone safely hanging the paper up there (very high ceilings) on a ladder from the first floor so I didn't have it done. The music was complete and as printed could be read and played at my piano from the distance it would have hung.

I must be getting the urge to decorate in a musical motif.

#951095 - 10/10/07 11:53 PM Re: Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin info please teachers.
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
 Quote:
I almost put a 17' border of Chopin's Prelude in E minor across the overhang into the living room from my piano teaching loft at my previous home....The music was complete and as printed could be read and played at my piano from the distance it would have hung.
You must have Superman-like eyesight, Betty. \:\)

#951096 - 10/10/07 11:57 PM Re: Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin info please teachers.
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira:
 Quote:
I almost put a 17' border of Chopin's Prelude in E minor across the overhang into the living room from my piano teaching loft at my previous home....The music was complete and as printed could be read and played at my piano from the distance it would have hung.
You must have Superman-like eyesight, Betty. \:\) [/b]
That, or a Superman-like printer. ;\)

Speaking of Superman, can you believe btb's association of the opening with a clarinet? Brilliant! \:D

#951097 - 10/11/07 12:21 AM Re: Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin info please teachers.
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Okay you clever chaps ... to whom (very correct English, mind you) did George Gershwin dedicate "Rhapsody in Blue"?

#951098 - 10/11/07 12:33 AM Re: Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin info please teachers.
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by btb:
Okay you clever chaps ... to whom (very correct English, mind you) did George Gershwin dedicate "Rhapsody in Blue"?
Matey, surely you jest. Was that intended to be a trick question? Here's another one: what religion was Paul Whiteman? (A popular one at the time, not so much now.)

And where were you when I fondly recalled our mutual admiration for Gershwin on the... er... "other" forum?

#951099 - 10/11/07 04:57 AM Re: Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin info please teachers.
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Watching the cricket and the rugby with a load of friends, braaivleis, beers and biltong .

#951100 - 10/11/07 11:57 AM Re: Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin info please teachers.
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
I am reading Wayne Dyer's "Your Sacred Self" and there on page 264 is......

" In one of Robert Frost's lighter moments he penned these words:
'Forgive me my nonsense
as I forgive the nonsense of those
who think they talk sense.'"

There certainly has been times when I would have liked to post this in PWF...especially when the topic was getting ready to be closed, or, the posting wasn't making sense...that is, the poster wasn't make sense.

When people say, "in my opinion" aren't they also saying "in my experience of my reality"?

"Sense and Nonsense", there's a new title!
Or, "When Reality Knocks, Will You Be There to Answer the Door?"

#951101 - 10/11/07 06:41 PM Re: Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin info please teachers.
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sandy B here to answer Member Number 24111, your post. I am not the one who wanted private messages. I asked for them to be posted for all to see actually. To share with you and others. Many did post private message to me regarding Rhapsody In Blue. Why? I do not know. But...Why would I reveal a Piano World member's private message to me for the other member's to see? That indeed would be rude, and not make any sense for me to do this. Very disrepectful to the sender who wants privacy. I value being a member of Piano World too much to be rude and condesending to other members. Cheers, Sandy B

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Tuner Recommendation
by DancerJ
09/22/14 03:58 PM
Opening a Kawai ES7
by ColoRodney
09/22/14 03:32 PM
Kawai MP11 black key noise?
by rungabic
09/22/14 11:35 AM
Rachmaninoff 2 and broken strings
by Anne'sson
09/22/14 09:31 AM
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
09/22/14 08:55 AM
Who's Online
142 registered (anotherscott, accordeur, ajames, Anne'sson, 39 invisible), 1666 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157692 Topics
2316258 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission