2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,460 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I am an adult beginner (going into my third year), and recognize my ability to learn a piece is significantly enhanced with a recording.

Thus, I am looking for a small mp3 recorder with an external mic that I can record with.

What recommendations do you have for a mp3 recorder and mic

I would travel with this recorder, and keep them with my books.

My primary purpose: working with my teacher to record my pieces and as necessary "sections" to learn and develop my technique and memory.

Secondary purposes are traditional listening and email recordings of my daughters music work (one plays the piano and the other the bagpipes).

I suffer from dyslexia, which has some advantages (no one wants to play scramble with me, as I usually win (if they help my laying out the letters in the correct order)), but there are some disadvantages.

This tool is not to be a substitution for learning to read music, but one to assist my development.

In fact, if I have develop a memory for the tonal pattern, I can spend more time, validating my notes, articulation, dynamics and technique against the actual score.

Other notes that may interest others:

1. My wife and I are engineers.
2. We believe and encourage the arts, and see it as an important part of our children's education.
3. My youngest daughter plays the piano and I participate. (My wife works with eldest duaghter and does the bagpipe support).
4. I practice each morning for an hour. A good way to start the day. Also, as the day ends, my ability to read degrades significantly, and reading music becomes very tough. After dinner playing has to be reserved to pieces I know from memory or scales.
5. I really enjoy playing.

A interesting feature from mixing left and right, in mid song, I will seamlessly switch clef orientation, id est my left hand will play the treble (G)clef and my right hand will play the bass (F) clef.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I haven't used one myself, but I researched this a while ago and was very impressed with iRiver. I have one of their flash players, and it does line-in recording but the memory (256k) just isn't enough to do good quality stereo recording. Do, however, give the H-100 series a try - those are iRiver's hard drive mp3 player/recorders and look very impressive.

Now, for a microphone, check out sony's small stereo mic (around $100.) I've used one of these with a minidisc recorder and it works very well.

Anyway, I hope that gives you a good starting point for your search. And welcome to the forums! smile

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Hi,
You can record directly into Adobe Audition and convert your wav files into MP3, real player, windows media audio, and many other formats. Emailing the files will require a broadband connection because of the file sizes. I usually keep student files that many students are going to use on my website so that they can download them and I don't have to keep uploading them.
Regular lesson recordings are done on a cheap cassette player that the student brings so that much less time is spent working with the technology and more on the music. We use professional recording gear in one of my studios when the student reaches the level of making their own CD.
Best of luck.

Rob Mullins
www.planetmullins.com
Recording Artist and Jazz Piano Instructor
OP Offline
Thank you ...

Rob, you are correct in that I do not want to spend significant time in setting up the technology.

The answer maybe a better cassette recorder.

Can default values-settings be establish to create a quick and fair quality recording, when I am taking lessons?

Note the remaining discussion is written in engineer-speak. [I am a systems engineer manager for a company that provides telephone switches and broadband equipment to the large carriers, worldwide].

With respect to the download speed, yes, that will be an issue for sometime. My carrier is installing a new remote telephone access switch [in a outside cabinet] within 1000 feet of the house, and thus eliminating the limitation of loop length from the current CO. The new looplength is such that I can easily get ADSL 2+ services. As such, I am working with the Carrier Network Engineer to get highspeed equipment in, but unfortunately, I and many people are being hinder by the carriers desire to be subsidize by a government for this installation.

warning .. more information than you probably want:

It will be a new switch, with fiber already present, serving a small rural area. I know the additional cost to add the DSLAM is less than 3% of the equipment to be installed and less than1.5% of the total cost of the installation - rights, surveys, et cetera. Based on a 10% take rate [meaning, 10% of homes that could subscribe, do - this is a conservative, but real number], the projected ROI for this site is 16 months, with a several 100% payback over a 8 year life.

Oh yes, it is cheaper to order the system pre-wired with ADSL (highspeed) that having to rewire and add-in, once the switch is running.

Though, it is a small additional outlay with a fair ROI and good payback, the carrier is still wanting a PUC or other government body to fund this! Of course, my rural governments have no policy or funds [we in Canada do not have a RUS programme, like the US]. The final decision or recommendation, is not being made by the Network Engineer, Area Manager, Account Manager, or based on material availability, but by a marketing team. So I find the associate jocketing interesting, but sad.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
"A interesting feature from mixing left and right, in mid song, I will seamlessly switch clef orientation, id est my left hand will play the treble (G)clef and my right hand will play the bass (F) clef."

That happens to me occasionally, and I'm not dsylexic and have been a musician for a long time. If I'm not paying close enough attention then sometimes I'll switch clefs, or parts, and will snap out of it when I realize I've got a bad fingering smile

Weird ....

The piano is my drug of choice.
Why are you reading this? Go play the piano! Why am I writing this? ARGGG!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission