Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
88 registered (AZNpiano, Alan Cyr, ando, Augustina, AZ_Astro, 21 invisible), 1111 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#951845 - 12/23/04 02:20 AM Get motivated again
Tom_ Offline

Loc: Belgium, Louvain
Hi,

I was wondering if there is anything to do concerning the problem I am experiencing lately.
I've been playing the piano since 2.5 years. During that period I was very motivated, I studied with a private piano teacher. In september I went to the local music school so I could get a degree, I had to take another teacher because my private teacher did not teach over there. This new teacher did not know my skills at that time. I played some pieces for her and she decided that I could start at level 5 (9 to go). We discussed some pieces and finally concluded to take Ravel'
s Pavane pour une infante defunte. That piece was a really challenging one. After 2 months I managed to get to the last page, with some difficulty and playing it slowly. At that moment I stopped playing it, in fact I started playing less. Up till now I cannot motivate myself to play more that half an hour a day. I start new pieces but I don't finish them. When I listen to music, I want to play but when I sit in front of the piano it's not fun anymore...
What can I do to stop this downward spiral ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Tom

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#951846 - 12/23/04 04:26 AM Re: Get motivated again
Sarah Jennings Offline

This is an excellent question. I suggest you also post it in the Pianist Corner, as you will get many more replies there.

To get there - go to the bar at the bottom of the page 'Hop To' and pick 'Pianist Corner' then press the Go button.

- Sarah

#951847 - 01/03/05 11:58 PM Re: Get motivated again
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Hi Tom,

You need a tonic.

Don't take it out on yourself when your daft new teacher springs a ludicrous study gem which is far too rich for your system - you explained that you are only at level 5 out of 14.

The "Pavane for a dead Princess" (excuse my French) is a deceptively complex and sophisticated work - not using the straight-up-and-down tempos of Haydn and Mozart.

Remembering that the Pavane was composed in the 20th century (Ravel died in 1937) it is a far cry time-wise from the 1656 Velazquez painting "Las Meninas" in the Prado Madrid which inspired the composition.

Ravel wrote of the Pavane

"Do not attach any importance to the title. I chose it only for its euphonious qualities. Do not dramatize it. It is not a funeral lament for a dead child, but rather an evocation of the pavane (a stately, 16th-century Spanish court dance) which could have been danced by such a little princess as painted by Velazquez.

But Ravel's comments could have fooled me. The composition has all the hallmarks of a memorial to the stately Spanish court happenings of yesteryear.

The haunting fragility of the busy treble outline, acerbic close-coupling of notes (ie the small chord starting the arpeggio in measure 7) and vaiations in tempo give the work a solemn biting sadness.

The jerky jugling of clefs and the intricacy of "jumped" hand roles (come da lontano) make the composition a challenge for even the most advanced students at stage 14.

Tell of the compositions you have mastered to date and members are likely to make valuable recommendations on what you might like to tackle next. Don't sell your piano!!

#951848 - 01/13/05 01:05 PM Re: Get motivated again
animato Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Tom \:\)

Very good question! Every musician goes through a slump and you feel guilty for not practising.

What I would do is take a break from it for say 2 weeks. Then get back into it, but this time make a practising log/record journal and set short term goals, like practise everyday, no matter how long or short it is, set a weekly practise goal.

Then the next week try to improve on the days you thought you didn't practise "long or hard" enough. Record everything! (e.g. the amount of time you spend on pieces, and technique studies).

Making a journal helps because it tells you where you need to improve on and gives you an idea on how much practising you are really doing.

Also when I have a slump, I listen to alot of my favorite music and that helps to inspire or motivate me \:\) hope this help!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
11/27/14 12:38 AM
Weber piano sonatas: a "hidden" treasure
by jeffreyjones
11/27/14 12:32 AM
Yamaha Avantgrand N1 manufacturing date
by farain
11/26/14 11:12 PM
Is it really possible to ignore fingerings?
by bjorn of brekkukot
11/26/14 08:29 PM
Recording equipment advice
by aceydawg
11/26/14 07:48 PM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159386 Topics
2341328 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission