2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#951849 04/19/08 01:58 PM
OP Offline
Hey smile ,

I've started playing the piano 3 weeks ago with:
Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Part 1.
I'm 15 years old at the moment. Is it normal that i'm at page 30 after 3 weeks. And now she's gone for 3 weeks (holiday) and i have to work to page 39 + i have to learn hedwig's theme by John Williams(it's quite easy). But if it isn't enough i can go through to as far as i can go. Is this fast?

How long should i practice before i can play. He's a pirate.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/289813/Hes-a-pirate-Pirates-of-the-caribiean
It doesn't seem too hard. It's just a lot of chords to play in a row and i think i can build up the paste in the summer holidays :p . My question is. Is it possible to play this piece in 8-9 weeks? Or maybe 14? Any suggestions?

Thanks thumb

(This is a copy from the pianist corner, but they didn't know how long it should take a beginning pianist to play the piece so here is the post again)

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.

If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.

Mark Twain
#951850 04/19/08 02:56 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I started to practicing running 3 weeks ago. How quickly should I be able to run a marathon?

I hope you can see the similarity between my question and yours. The fact is that its really impossible to answer. Each person will progress at a different rate, just as each person crossing the finish line will reach it at different times.

Is it possible to play this piece in 8-9 weeks?
It say its a little too early to be doing something like this after only three weeks of practice, but would have to ask...

Do you have an understanding if 6/8 time? Know the different between a quarter and eight note? Understand the different rest marks? Understand the concept of the Key Signature?

If so, I'd say it would be possible, but probably more difficult that to what you're accustomed to. It may take you two weeks, it may take you six months. Again, impossible to say.

My suggestion would be to focus on building good fundamentals, taught by the lessons in your method book. This will provide a good solid foundation to stand on in your future.

#951851 04/19/08 03:07 PM
OP Offline
Haha i know what you mean. I know all the key signatures and rest signatures. But what i acutally ment is. Is it better for me to start to learn this piece AFTER 13 or 14 weeks? So i'll just train out of my method book for 13 to 14 weeks and start learning this piece on the 12th or 19th of July for example smile ?

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.

If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.

Mark Twain
#951852 04/19/08 09:26 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My son is pretty decent. He learned Pirates toward the end of his third year of study (age 11). Third year, not third week! Could he have played it earlier? Sure. But when he did learn it he could nail it convincingly. There are a lot of tricky rhythms in there. Knowing 6/8 isn't half the story.

#951853 04/19/08 11:43 PM
I"ll admit that learning that song on your own is a pain sometimes with the rhythms.

"Derrrr dat wuz gud"
#951854 04/20/08 03:07 AM
OP Offline
haha ok i'll wait for a long time before i think i can learn it :p

Mark Twain
#951855 04/20/08 02:31 PM
Do you have an understanding if 6/8 time? Know the different between a quarter and eight note? Understand the different rest marks? Understand the concept of the Key Signature?
All of those are actually pretty simple concepts which, I think, could easily be taught in one lesson (assuming a good student, which wimbwicket seems to be, and not one who'd rather talk about what they're having for dinner.)

My suggestion would be to focus on building good fundamentals, taught by the lessons in your method book. This will provide a good solid foundation to stand on in your future.
I agree. That said, I also think you could do it if you want to. This is not to say it would be easy, but I believe most anybody can do most anything if they really want. Start SLOW.

As for the "fast? slow?" question--I recommend don't even think about it. Akira was quite right in saying that everybody's different, so any comparisons are moot.

For the rhythms... yeah, they can be a real hassle when learning a song on your own, but not so much of a problem if you've got a catchy recording of the song. smile

#951856 04/21/08 03:34 PM
OP Offline
Hey guys smile ,

Thanks for all the advice. I think i'll just wait for another few weeks before learning it. I've got summer holidays coming in about 14 weeks (around the 12th of July). I'll think i'll start learning the song by than.

For the rhythms... yeah, they can be a real hassle when learning a song on your own, but not so much of a problem if you've got a catchy recording of the song.
Well about that 'catchy recording' :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e9M7kRo8Ek
I just love the song, every time i visit that link i at least watch it 2 times.

I found another person who is also learning from Alfred's Basic Piano Course for Adults.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PianoNoobAlexMan
He finished book 1 in 2,5 months. Is this fast?
He is now busy with book number 2. He's at page 75 after 4 months. Is this fast?

If i think i'm not up for the job after 14 weeks i'll just wait with learning the song. I might post here again when i start learning the song. I'll post here to ask some questions if it gets tough. (i hope i won't need to ask questions) :p .

Thanks for all the tips. thumb

Mark Twain
#951857 04/22/08 03:41 PM
OP Offline
If it goes on like this i'll be done in 6 weeks with ABPC (Alfred's Basic Piano Course) book 1 and that means it was a total of 10 weeks of working with ABPC book 1 and than i'm going to book 2. I think the last 5 weeks will get harder and it will go less fast than it used to be. So i think about 7-9 weeks to go. I still play everything from page 1 every week once.

How long is the normal period of learning with ABPC book 1?

Ps. i know i'm kinda obsessed with speed but i just want to learn it !!!good!!! and as fast as possible.

Mark Twain
#951858 04/27/08 10:27 AM
OP Offline
i want to learn this book fast because the songs you learn are kinda boring :p

One last question:
When you're done with ABPC (Alfred's Basic Piano Course) for Adult's book 3, are you than done with the most of the technique you need to know to play songs?

Mark Twain

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission