Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#952120 - 12/29/05 03:28 PM Me a teacher?
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I posted this in the pianist corner, but figured there would be some good input in this forum as well. Any comments are welcome... Thanks.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/10216.html

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#952121 - 01/03/06 04:30 PM Re: Me a teacher?
hannoverstudent Offline

First of all I want to say that Lev Vlassenko is a fantastic piano professor.
About you teaching. Why not try it! I think you have enough experience to teach people who just like to play for hobby or little girls who start. I think it will be no problem at all for you!

#952122 - 01/05/06 01:46 AM Re: Me a teacher?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
If you have the time then,

By all means go for it!!!!!

Here are some articles on getting started as a private piano teacher. It's a lot of information that I learned by trial and error especially writing an effective studio policy (you'd be suprised how many parents when one tries to be "Mr. Nice guy" when it comes to cancellations just call at the last minute for anything and everything under the sun or don't show up. One needs an effective policy to keep parents/and or students accountable):

Starting a Private Teaching Studio

Preparing an Effective Studio Policy

Planning a Career in Music Teaching

For more helpful articles on teaching go to:
More teaching articles

#952123 - 01/05/06 10:48 AM Re: Me a teacher?
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the links - I look forward to going through them. I could use tips like this!

#952124 - 01/05/06 11:27 AM Re: Me a teacher?
Hobie Offline

Loc: Rocky Mountains
8ude

i just took a quick glance at Sarabande's link. I wanted to say that the field of music education is very diverse. Educators will criticize certain methods and old (familiar) battles emerge between the people who use one or the other. In this case it looks like Bastien and Alfred get bashed.

Do your homework if you decide to use a method since there is no perfect way to teach, no cookie cutter approach that works for everyone. Each student will challenge you in their own unique way. That is why teaching is so much fun and ultimately rewarding.

If you want to know the rationale behind methods like Bastien/Alfred that teach using "hand positions", go ahead and ask questions.

Hope this helps

#952125 - 01/05/06 02:52 PM Re: Me a teacher?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
Just a quick note for anyone reading the thread that the articles I provided links for have much, much more valuable information for teaching and for teachers getting started than merely information about what methods to use. The portions of the articles that cover methods are just a small, small fraction of the myriads of helpful information for teachers in the articles. Piano World has the link to the site (Piano Education Page) on Piano World's list of links to other sites. If there is a question about the source of the articles one can read the history of the site they came from: The Piano Education Page - Ten Years On

As far as methods, I have used Alfred's the past 8 years and Bastein some and looked over a lot of other methods at the music stores. As there is no perfect method, there are advantages and disadvantages to each. I see a lot of advantages in Alfred's, for example, but some disadvantages as well. I wouldn't bash any particular method to the point of telling a teacher not to use it but only make them aware of some of the "pitfalls" so that one can still use the method effectively by compensating. After one gets some experience with a method one begins to figure out what "problem" areas the method has and can use your own knowledge to compensate. That's the wonderful thing about this forum is that you can ask teachers here that have experience using different methods for advice on most effectively teaching from whatever method you choose. Whatever the drawbacks of these methods, I have gotten some good tips from reading about what others on the forum do in teaching from these that make them work effectively. The biggest thing to think about in choosing a method is choosing those that you feel most comfortable with teaching from and that work well with your students. I know teachers that use a combination from various methods and don't necessarily adhere to the same method for every student. A person can teach from you're own knowledge without a method as well. There are advantages and disadvantages associated with teaching from a method.

The best thing is you have this wonderful forum to ask questions as you go.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
153 registered (Alex Hernandez, A Guy, Almaviva, 36251, 48 invisible), 1721 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153586 Topics
2250904 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Etude in G
by Polyphonist
47 minutes 12 seconds ago
A Piano Song With Notes In It
by Ritzycat
53 minutes 56 seconds ago
Playing the piano again
by Mr.Wolf
58 minutes 6 seconds ago
27/16 time signature!
by Polyphonist
59 minutes 14 seconds ago
Three great pianists/teachers celebrate the same birthday!
by music32
Today at 03:41 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission