2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
M
I've always had two loves in music: voice and piano. It always seems, however, that I can't possibly progress at both simultaneously, so generally it's been one maintaining and one progressing. For the past 6 months or so, it's been voice that has been progressing, and piano just maintaining.

I've decided to try and see what kind of career I can make from singing while still teaching. I will keep my piano students that I have, mostly are at the beginner and intermediate levels, and only add voice students. When the piano students progress beyond my abilities to teach them, then I'll refer them out. I let my piano teacher know today that I would not be continuing lessons, and she seemed to think that it was a good decision. I've never really dreamed of making a career out of performing piano, even though I do a lot of accompanying. So I'll maintain what I do, perhaps working on pieces at a leisurely pace, but there's just not enough time in the day for me to do both.

Does anyone else have this issue? I don't want to not play piano, because I do love it, but it's just come to a point where the choice had to be made. Has anyone else gone through something similar?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I had to choose between piano and violin in 10th grade. I dropped violin because I was a little better at the piano. My violin teacher was angry about my decision. Then I changed piano teachers to someone much better.

And then in college I picked up voice along with piano. Now I teach both piano and chorus. I think I'm much better at the piano than singing. In an ideal world, I'd have lessons on all three: piano, voice, and violin. But I know life is too short to be great at all three. I also like composition, but that gets totally swept to the side.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I have had similar problems as you. I played two instruments, piano and violin at the time and I chose piano over violin because it was my first love and also because my violin teacher's tuition was getting to the level that I could not afford. I still play the violin, but am no longer taking lessons and now I'm taking lessons in the viola as well. I took lessons in voice but stopped, so singing is possible for me too.

I think that a choice always has to be made. It's not the best thing to go through and yes, it's always tough, but the way that I see it is this: It's better to do one instrument justice, then give both instruments only half your heart.

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein
M
OP Offline
M
Originally posted by AZNpiano:
I also like composition, but that gets totally swept to the side.
Me too! I'm hoping that with my reorganizing of my life I'll be able to have the time to compose as well. I've got some songs just sitting in my brain that will eventually need to come out. smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally posted by sweet em:

I think that a choice always has to be made. It's not the best thing to go through and yes, it's always tough, but the way that I see it is this: It's better to do one instrument justice, then give both instruments only half your heart.
Yes, that is what I've been thinking. Generally what I would do is switch focus from piano to voice and back again, but lately voice has stayed in the forefront. I will always love piano, so I'm sad to "give up" like this, but I do not wish to have a career in performing piano, and I do in voice. It's not easy, is it?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
MA Offline
M
Originally posted by AZNpiano:
In an ideal world, I'd have lessons on all three: piano, voice, and violin.
That's what I hoped my daughter would do, but she chose ballet instead of violin and has been very happy since joinging SF Ballet School.

Do you consider joining a chorus as studying voice? I was thinking of hiring a voice teacher, but both her piano and theory teachers recommended chorus, so she has joined SF Girls Chorus. The teacher there has assigned her to the soprano part.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I think joining a chorus is beneficial for all pianists. Singing helps phrasing and articulations. My "singer" students are better at phrasing (though they aren't the best pianists in my studio). Learning a second instrument also helps.

I have one student who takes dance lessons three times a week. It hasn't done anything to help her with rhythm. I think it's just a case of girls wanting to have fun. wink

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I hate hearing this "one day, some day you'll have to choose" talk. I do voice and piano, much like you Morodiene. I am still young and don't know what I am going to do with it. I am a lot more advanced with voice than piano. I still love piano a lot. I hate to see the day where I have to choose!

M
OP Offline
M
Rebekah,
I felt that way up until very recently. But now I don't feel like I've "chosen," but that at this point in my life, I'm doing more voice than piano. And really, I've just decided to make a career out of voice and not piano, quit piano lessons, but I'm playing piano as much as I did before. I don't ever think I thought of making a career out of piano performance, but voice was always there as a possibility.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Ohh ok... you know my mum made me choose last night, she said next year she wants my brother to do some extra cirricular activity which means I have to sacrifice one of mine!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission