Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
158 registered (ajames, accordeur, Achilleas, 42 invisible), 1824 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#95330 - 09/11/05 10:09 AM George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
bootan Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
I'm new to this forum, but I have noticed that most posts get great, helpful responses. I hope this will be the case for me as well.

I am looking for an entry level new piano, possibly 5' and under. We love the look and sound of a grand, but have only a small space for a piano. We have looked into the George Steck and a Henry F. Miller. If anyone has any opinions on either of these pianos or any piano that may fit our budget ($6,000) without compromising quality too much. (I know it may be a touch goal)

Another concept I could use some advice on is a good sized upright piano verses a very small grand, such as a 5' or a 4'8". I was told by a salesperson that I would get "more piano" on an upright rather than on a grand that is under 5'.

Any tips/advice/opinions would so helpful!!!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#95331 - 09/11/05 12:13 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Ah, I just know that a topic like this would come up every now and then. \:\)

You say you want a small grand piano for under 6,000 USD[/b], please see this:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/11485/2.html#000030

Good luck! \:\)

#95332 - 09/11/05 12:45 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
bootan Offline

Thanks so much for a quick reply! I happened to read that thread a couple of days ago, specifically because of the advertisement that i saw on the costco website. But I'm not sure if you're "okaying" that type of buy or if you're recommending to stear clear? What's you're thought on on small grands? We saw a 4'8" George Steck for $4500 (supposedly sale) and 4'8"Henry F. Miller at $5200. I'm understanding somewhat that those are brands that are "stencil" brands? Would you find them okay for us to start with? Or should we opt for an upright at about 6,000USD?

#95333 - 09/11/05 08:30 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
mamma2my3sons Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest of the great USA
Larger is better regarding pianos (& some other things ) Many say that a piano under 5'5" really suffers tonally. However only you know what your room & budget will accomodate. Most would agree that you will get a higher quality upright in your budget rather than a grand. However will an upright truely satisfy you aesthetically?

Several dealers here have said just recently that they can sell a new 5'2" grand for $5995. A 5'2" piano will beat a 4'8" one hands down. If you measure your room its unlikely you would NOT be able to squeeze out that few inches.

Regarding the thread Ax mentioned, you being in CA. I would most definitely make a call (may be worth a road trip too) to:
Art Olson of Artistic Pianos
www.artisticpianos.com
740 Los Vallecitos Blv. San Marcos, CA 92069 (North San Diego)
(760)471-0077 Next to Jerome's Furniture.

and

Angeleno Jazzer of various CA locations
www.KeyboardConcepts.com
Yamaha-Bösendorfer-Schimmel-Pearl River-Young Chang
1-800-22piano
[/b]
to take them up on their "offer" & see exactly what new piano you can get for $5995. It will be Chinese for sure but from all accounts the Chinese have much improved over the years. (Both the pianos you mentioned are Chinese as well)

Play everything you can in your budget & do buy the Larry Fine Piano Book, available on this website (below right thru Amazon)

Best wishes. Keep us posted.

#95334 - 09/11/05 08:37 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
Scoot Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Great and timely advice Mamma! And I look forward to hearing a report from Bootan on how he comes out with his search.

#95335 - 09/12/05 01:57 AM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
Walter_Greene Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
The George Steck was an imported piano distributed and shown by the Mason and Hamlin corporation several NAMM shows ago.

Which piano company is now distributing the George Steck line?

#95336 - 09/12/05 01:25 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
bootan Offline

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses. We ended up looking further into pianos after measuring our living room (approx. 13 ft wide by 20 ft. long). We also listened and played upright pianos as well and grands from the 4'7" to the 5'4" range, thanks to your input. It turned out that yes, there is a difference from simply the 4'7 to a 5'2 and then even more so from the 4'7 to a 5'4. We ended up deciding on a 5'4" with a tight squeeze in our living room. But we're hoping that the beauty of the grand and the sound of its size will make up for all the room its taking.

I love the piano and had to beg my parents to start me in lessons for years. Finally at age 13 my parents started me and bought me and Elbrige (anyone heard of this one?) console or it may even be a spinet. Unfortunately, I only took lessons for three more years or so. I continuted to ply on my own, but I never reached a level I am happy with. My daughter (five yrs old this past june) has been asking for lessons since she was two and I don't want to deprive of her of a possible talent. So we were hoping to provide her with something not only much better to play and hear, but something that will attract her to play. At the same time, our budget wasn't very big. And we aren't able to invest in anything that cost more for a child who is just learning to play and mom who piano skills are mediocre.

So after running around from local piano shops to piano shops. We ended up with the 5'4" George Steck from Colton Piano (Santa Clara, CA) for $6500 in polished ebony. At our price range it turns out that alot of the pianos made in chinese are of about the same quality, and could be just a matter of preference in looks, tone, etc. (I learned alot about tone and voice this past weekend). Thank you for the referrals of piano shops to check out. However those locations would have been a good 6-8 hour drive for us in the Silicon Valley. Colton piano has been at its location for over 30 years and my brother in law had a great experience buying his wife's 5'2" Cline there.

I'm still nervous about how big it will be in our small space of a living room. And a hopeful that we have made the right decision and that delivery, tuning, etc. will go smoothly. And of course hope that we won't have any problems with it. It will be delivered to our home tomorrow Tues. and possibly (cross my fingers) today. It being late Sunday when we made the purchase, the credit application wont be processed til today.

The Larry Fine's Piano Book stated that the George Steck is manufactued at Pearl River, but I dont recall it saying anything about who is distributing it. I can check again.

So excited and nervous at the same time, I would be happy to keep you posted. I'm grateful to your replies in this post. It's nice to find a group that can be even interested and more so helpful.

#95337 - 09/12/05 01:43 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Congratulations on your new piano! And don't worry about it fitting into your living room. Worst case scenario, you just take out the other unnecessary stuff in there-- TV, coffee table, heck, even the couch... \:\) Post some pictures, okay?

#95338 - 09/12/05 02:06 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
Steve Cohen Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by mamma2my3sons:
to take them up on their "offer" & see exactly what new piano you can get for $5995. It will be Chinese for sure but from all accounts the Chinese have much improved over the years. (Both the pianos you mentioned are Chinese as well)
[/b]
Just a minor correction. The new Remingtom line is made in Indonesia and sells in the same price range. I believe it to be a little better in quality than Chinese pianos in the same price range. (Disclaimer- We carry both Remington (Indonesian) and Bergmann (Chinese)and have them side-by-side on the sales floor for comparison.)

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#95339 - 09/12/05 03:37 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
bootan Offline

Monica, I'd gladly post some pictures! Believe me, i was ready to remove whatever needs to be removed out of the room. Luckily we have a separate family room where the TV and other UN necessary (but unfortunatley desired by the rest of the family-darned) items are.

Steve, we did check out and listen to the Remington. We just learned about the yesterday! Is it really true that Pramberg (sp?) is a designer from Steinway and is now designing for Clines and Remington? There was so much information. Its neat to hear someone talk about it. It was a beautiful piano and yes was very comparable in price. We did get to briefly review the manufacurer's pamphlet and although it is manufactured in Indonesia, many of its parts are from Canada and Germany. Whereas, alot of the chinese manufactured pianos have chinese parts as well???? Did I remember or even hear the info right? It was hard to take all of it in. heehee. It played and sounded beautifully as well. Is Remington a fairly new company? However, the shop in which carried it didnt seem to be as reliable or as reputable as Colton Piano. And the price for a Reminton in a 5'0 was higher than what we were able to offer for the 5'4" Georget Steck.

#95340 - 09/12/05 03:47 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
mamma2my3sons Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest of the great USA
Congrats on the piano Boot. I'm glad you were able to get a larger model. Steck is made by Sejung in China. According to the latest Larry Fine supplement, their quality have been rapidly improving & that Sejung is "destined to become a major force in the piano market".

Thanks for the info Steve regarding the Remington.

#95341 - 09/12/05 04:04 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
bootan Offline

Monica, I'd gladly post some pictures! Believe me, i was ready to remove whatever needs to be removed out of the room. Luckily we have a separate family room where the TV and other UN necessary (but unfortunatley desired by the rest of the family-darned) items are.

Steve, we did check out and listen to the Remington. We just learned about the yesterday! Is it really true that Pramberg (sp?) is a designer from Steinway and is now designing for Clines and Remington? There was so much information. Its neat to hear someone talk about it. It was a beautiful piano and yes was very comparable in price. We did get to briefly review the manufacurer's pamphlet and although it is manufactured in Indonesia, many of its parts are from Canada and Germany. Whereas, alot of the chinese manufactured pianos have chinese parts as well???? Did I remember or even hear the info right? It was hard to take all of it in. heehee. It played and sounded beautifully as well. Is Remington a fairly new company? However, the shop in which carried it didnt seem to be as reliable or as reputable as Colton Piano. And the price for a Reminton in a 5'0 was higher than what we were able to offer for the 5'4" Georget Steck.

#95342 - 09/12/05 04:05 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
bootan Offline

#95343 - 09/12/05 04:08 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
bootan Offline

Im sorry about this posting so many times! li dont know what happened. Leave it, me to the rookie to goof it up.

#95344 - 09/12/05 04:09 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
bootan Offline

thanks, Mamma...that helps alot!

#95345 - 09/12/05 06:21 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
bootan Offline

there is now a slight dilemma in our piano buying ventures. My husband was talking about buying our piano w/one of his co-workers. It turns out that this co-worker of his recently bought a G. Steck from Costco and has had some problems with it. When it was delivered he found that something was wrong with it (i can't remember what it was) and when he contacted Costco, who then in turn told him he needed to go through Colton for the exchange. When he did that, he had problems in dealing w/ the Colton Piano shop. Now, I don't know if it may have something to do with Costco's involvement. Of if George Steck may not be as good of a piano distributer as we thought. Fortunately, we can still cancel our order, being that it has not yet been delivered. We are open to doing so and opting for maybe the Henry Miller or the Remington that Steve had mentioned. Other pianos we have looked at that were comparable were Story & Clark, Wyman, and Samick. (grands in our price range) If anyone has further input on this, it would be soooooo greatly appreciated!!!

#95346 - 09/12/05 06:53 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller

Cancel. Keep shopping. Keep learning...then buy.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#95347 - 09/12/05 07:05 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
bootan Offline

Wow...that's straight to the point and good to know. "Keep learning is key." Any thoughts on the brands I've mentioned above? As co-incidental as this is, the salesperson whom we saw that carried the Remington called me to follow-up on us. He was telling me, again, about how much more prefers the Remington to the other brands in our price range. He did tell us about the parts of the Remington being of better quality because they are NOT from China, but from German and Canada. Is this true?

#95348 - 09/12/05 07:35 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller

I'm not yet clear on where the parts are made but I am clear that it makes little difference!

Evaluate pianos on how they perform and on the experience of the factory, not on specs.

In our comparison between the Bergmann (Chinese-made) and the Remington (Indonesian-made along side K&C), the Remingtons sounded better, were constructed "tighter" and looked considerably better. That is why we are making the change!

And, by the way, NONE of the improvements in design made by the late Joe Pramberger (who was lead designer and VP for Manufacturing for Steinway and with them for 29 years) are incorporated in ANY Remington piano.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

#95349 - 09/12/05 08:31 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller
bootan Offline

yeah...that's what we've tried to do. We've been going back and forth to piano shops to hear how well, they play. When we heard the Remington, the other pianos on the floor we were able to compare to side by side were the Story and Clark 5'1" and Kawai 5'1. Between the three, the Remington sounded a tad brighter than the other two. I think I prefer a more mellow tone. But again, it wont hurt for me to go back and listen and feel again. The salesperson preferred the Remington and felt that it had a much better sound than the Story & Clark. The Story and Clark was priced for more., but still within our price range. We listened and played the Henry F. Miller which also had a great touch and sound and had a more mellow tone. Unfortunately it was in a completely different shop, which makes it hard to compare side by side. Especially since the showroom had carpet and lower ceilings. We didnt have anything else to compare the Steck to in our price range. The other piano we like was the Cline, still too high for our price range, but I certainly liked it better than the Steck. The Cline was priced at about 8 or 9 grand for a 4'8" . We are going back out there on the road to check out the pianos again. Is there anything else I should pay attention to? Construction? My husband menioned something about how tightly the wood grains should be.

#95350 - 09/12/05 09:21 PM Re: George Steck vs. Henry F. Miller

IF YOU ARE REALLY SERIOUS ABOUT THE REMINGTON, ask the dealer to voice it more mellowly.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Gratitude
by Music Me
11/26/14 03:19 PM
The Notebook - Main Title - I'd like to know your opinion
by Dan Oliveira
11/26/14 03:09 PM
Interface Woes
by mitzysman
11/26/14 03:06 PM
In-Car Keyboard / Synth Setup
by Scott Hamlin
11/26/14 02:31 PM
Do you play the piano 'for relaxation'?
by bennevis
11/26/14 01:18 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159372 Topics
2341112 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission