2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It sounds like if you want your kids to be any good then you must go to a conservatory. If you choose not to then they will never achieve much.
Chris,

I think Kreisler answered this, but I'll take a whack at it again. There are many paths to musical success. The pre-conservatory programs, where they exist, offer one route. But it is NOT the case that private teachers just do "fun" and pre-conservatories are "serious." In most places with sizable populations there are well-known private teachers who have a reputation for grooming Juilliard and Curtis prospects. I know that in my area there are at least two who routinely put students into advanced programs and onto the national stage (programs like From the Top, for instance).

Kreisler,

There are posters here (AJB, for one) who do not remember with any fondness their parents' approach to musical education. Some people forever resent their parents' seeming misuse of them to stroke their own egos (living through the child). I'm heartened that the most common reaction you get is the opposite one, but that may reflect in part the willingness of that sort of person to speak to you about it, while the other sort of person might be more reticent about bashing music (or their parents) in front of an instructor.

This is something I always have to keep in the back of my mind as I push and prod my own kids to try to achieve excellence.

Metaphysics,

I have some problems with your physics analogy. You know quite well that the science track to success in modern schooling follows a particular rhythm (to mix my metaphors!). It does not include intense training for young people. Music follows a different pathway, in part because of the way the brain develops. There are real advantages to serious early study. A student who tinkers until they are thirteen and then decides to 'get serious' is much less likely to succeed at the highest levels than one who gets serious at a much earlier age. This is not, however, an argument for throwing every seven year old into a pre-conservatory run be crotchety old men and women who wield whips over them. wink

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I think Kreisler answered this, but I'll take a whack at it again. There are many paths to musical success. The pre-conservatory programs, where they exist, offer one route. But it is NOT the case that private teachers just do "fun" and pre-conservatories are "serious."

Metaphysics,

I have some problems with your physics analogy. You know quite well that the science track to success in modern schooling follows a particular rhythm (to mix my metaphors!). It does not include intense training for young people. Music follows a different pathway, in part because of the way the brain develops. There are real advantages to serious early study. A student who tinkers until they are thirteen and then decides to 'get serious' is much less likely to succeed at the highest levels than one who gets serious at a much earlier age. This is not, however, an argument for throwing every seven year old into a pre-conservatory run be crotchety old men and women who wield whips over them. wink
Usually where prep programs are available are places where classical music is an important part of the local community, and in these communities there are usually many highly qualified private teachers as well. Serious and talented students have choices. This is vastly different from the prep programs in some other countries such as China (for example see Lang Lang's new book--I'm not advertising for it, but its description of music education in China is interesting), where serious and talented kids vie for spots in prep programs and once they get in they study there full-time (unlike the prep programs here in the US many of which are a couple of lessons a week), and if they can't get in these programs from an early age their musical aspiration might as well stop.

As for the difference between music and physics, it's also worth noting that one's understanding of physics cannot be without advanced math, that's why physics is not even a serious subject for study in elementary schools. As for math, well, plenty of parents that I know do drill their kids on math from a very early age. Some other parents think this is unnecessary. Neither choice is necessarily wrong, so we do what we think is appropriate for our kids and we respect different choices made by other people.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
double post.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
double post.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Okay, I understand it now. It just sounded at first like parents who were serious about their childs education would not choose a 'non-conservatory' teacher.

Meta, just to clarify, I am a regular private piano teacher. I have some parents who tell me that they would like their kids to be serious musicians and others who want their kids to play for fun. I don't treat those kids any differently to begin with.

Playing for fun is largely an adult concept. What most adults would like is to be able to sit down and play the piano for their own enjoyment. They are not interested in becoming professional pianists. That is what they want for their kids too. What some fail to realise is that the ability to just sit and play takes a great deal of practice and dedication. Those who are able to do this could probably have made it as a performer in some way if they had wanted to. Also, kids have fun when they are doing well. They enjoy an activity when they know it is something they are good at and they can gain satisfaction from. Unless they work hard at it there will be very little enjoyment. This is why I don't treat playing for fun any different to playing seriously. The overall outcome will depend on what they do but you can't know this when they come to that first lesson.

Pianist and piano teacher.
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by Metaphysics:
Sometimes, taking lessons doesn't have to be high pressure and can be fun. I and my children are very disciplined in whatever we do, but we also want the kids to just play around and enjoy their first experiences with everything. If they show a great aptitude and interest, then...off to the conservatory with them.

Meta
This is where I think I misunderstood you. I am sure that you encourage your son to practice regularly and work hard at it. The progress he makes will be enjoyable and that interest will grow. Sadly, I know a lot of parents who can't see this. They expect their kids to show great aptitude when they only practice a few minutes every other day. They don't push at all and expect that the child will just love to go and play piano because it is a fun experience. When they struggle they will become bored of it and they are lost. That's a shame because as others have said those first experiences are so important.

Pianist and piano teacher.
M
M
And something to point out, is that a very valuable lesson for kids to learn is that hard work *can* be fun when the results are worth it! Anyone, no matter why they are taking lessons, can work hard at a piece that they love and really feel a sense of accomplishment when they polish it. But that polish only comes with hard work and determination. Many things that are worthwhile in life require work, and the fun comes when you see yourself getting better and reaching the goal.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission