Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#954052 - 05/05/08 05:08 PM "Getting Out of the Kitchen When You Can't Stand the Heat"
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
I choose to be silent for a while because it has been a difficult few days in posting on the piano teachers forum for me and there have so many disturbing things said that affected me personally.

I feel that I need recovery time. I don't want to become a basket case trying to post about my experiences as a piano teacher in a hostile environment.

Collectively the "Speechless" and the "MTNA" topic, (my OT) in my opinion, went in a very heated direction much differently than the reason and spirit in which I posted it.

They say "When you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." Seems like the best remedy for me. I realize I have things to consider and the need to be primarily involved with my piano studio. This is becoming not a good investment of my time and effort and is a business and well-being decision.

Thank you so much for all the good things!

Betty Patnude

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#954053 - 05/05/08 05:24 PM Re: "Getting Out of the Kitchen When You Can't Stand the Heat"
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Your wishes are much respected, Betty. Do you mind, however, if we sit at the table slurping up the good soup that was created in that kitchen, with all its fine ingredients? It is amazing what is left behind in these posts, and what benefits they may have for a long time, and when least expected.

#954054 - 05/05/08 06:16 PM Re: "Getting Out of the Kitchen When You Can't Stand the Heat"
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Betty, I hope you'll just take a break to get refeshed, because I would really miss your posts if you left for good!

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#954055 - 05/05/08 06:55 PM Re: "Getting Out of the Kitchen When You Can't Stand the Heat"
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Thank you[/b] for all the good things, my friend. \:\)

#954056 - 05/05/08 07:50 PM Re: "Getting Out of the Kitchen When You Can't Stand the Heat"
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Betty, you've been an invaluable contributor to this forum for many many months now. A bit of burn out is to be expected. Enjoy your break, but please don't stay away too long!

We probably share sentiments on this subject, but I will voice it again for teachers participating or just reading posts.

It is great to have a mentor. If you're located in a small town, or even isolated in a large city, you many not have someone to turn to. This forum is an excellent resource, and I am all too happy to contribute what ever I can of my experiences gained over the past four decades.

Although not my primary reason for being here, I will, if I can, help an individual student who approaches politely and with some decorum.

I am not really interested in heated debate over arcane minutia. I gladly leave that to others. And of course, posters who come here, for whatever motives, and flame the participants, fully deserve the treatment they receive - it's only human to want to return a well phrased barb when deserved, and I confess to doing so from time to time.

Keep in touch.

John

#954057 - 05/05/08 09:28 PM Re: "Getting Out of the Kitchen When You Can't Stand the Heat"
KeysOnTheCeiling Offline

Betty, I hope this all works out.
You're one of the first ones who welcomed me here, and I've been reading your wonderful and thoughtful posts every since.
HOpe you come back soon!

#954058 - 05/05/08 10:13 PM Re: "Getting Out of the Kitchen When You Can't Stand the Heat"
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by Betty Patnude:
I feel that I need recovery time. I don't want to become a basket case trying to post about my experiences as a piano teacher in a hostile environment... the "Speechless" and the "MTNA" topic, (my OT) in my opinion, went in a very heated direction much differently than the reason and spirit in which I posted it.[/b]
It's often the best thing to do, Betty, even if only for a little while. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our online discussions we find them taking over our "normal" life, and especially if you're becoming stressed over it, take a break. But do come back, won't you! \:\)

Having said that, I have to admit I didn't see the "hostile" environment Betty mentions (if by that she meant a general atmosphere of hostility towards her). I just saw people trying to get to the bottom of things, others expressing their views on what they perceived people to be saying (which is all any of us can do, really, in this sort of set-up), and in amongst it all some real insights. It's not always easy to see how what we say might be taken by others - in fact, it's often impossible - but I think people expressed themselves for the most part in a civil and respectful manner, bearing in mind they were discussing things about which they had strong feelings.

#954059 - 05/05/08 10:14 PM Re: "Getting Out of the Kitchen When You Can't Stand the Heat"
Tenuto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I haven't been to the Piano Teacher's Forum for awhile so I'm not aware of the bad things that have been happening here.

The only thing I've noticed, Betty, is that you were enjoying your experience at PW. You were learning to write about your teaching business and having fun sharing it with the PW community.

I never felt you had anything but the best intentions within this community and I'm hoping that you will take a short break and return in good health.

best wishes,
Valerie

#954060 - 05/06/08 12:27 AM Re: "Getting Out of the Kitchen When You Can't Stand the Heat"
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
I am another one who has not visited the Piano Teacher's Forum for quite a while, and like Valerie,I too am unaware of what's been going on.

Betty, you have been a such a wonderful resource person, always kind and helpful. Please don't let the current unpleasantness keep you away. If you do decide to take a short break---just take it from the Teacher's forum, and continue to contribute to the other forums. Your comments have always been so wise and you have always been so generous with your suggestions. We would be very sad to lose you. Gaby Tu

#954061 - 05/06/08 01:22 AM Re: "Getting Out of the Kitchen When You Can't Stand the Heat"
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Betty:

Yeah, take some time off. I know which posts you're referring to. Let's not feed fodder to trolls.

All the best!!

#954062 - 05/06/08 01:35 AM Re: "Getting Out of the Kitchen When You Can't Stand the Heat"
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I know the feeling of being consumed by this forum, not in a negative way though, more of an addiction of being able to discuss what we all love most...Pianos and music!

I'm sorry to hear that you felt hurt with things said here. I've had some bashings too, but for the most part this forum has been such an education for me.

I think, to be honest, you have been treated with the utmost respect out of all of us. I remember reading a topic that was entitled something like " We Love Betty" I think it was on the ABF.

I thought WOW! That is cool. Felt a little envious really. So don't get too emo about a little negativity. It happens to us all.

Enjoy your break... But please come back.

I for one felt I was just getting to know you. :3hearts:

FYI: I don't know of the threads you are feeling this way about, but will look and see.

#954063 - 05/06/08 02:18 AM Re: "Getting Out of the Kitchen When You Can't Stand the Heat"
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Betty,

I did read the "Speechless" post and to be honest I disagree with what you are saying.

Does this mean that you need to take it negatively? Just because someone disagrees with you?

With all do respect, this is not what this forum is about, that is, for everyone to be in agreement. If everyone was in agreement, there would no discussion, no forum.

Please be a little bit more open-minded so that we can all discuss our feelings.

#954064 - 05/06/08 02:24 AM Re: "Getting Out of the Kitchen When You Can't Stand the Heat"
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Also read the MTNA topic...

Well I can see how people may not buy into an organization such as this.

I see your respect for it, and I know many that do.

To each his own.

Please Betty, try and see both sides to things.

I'm not saying this so you can become more upset, I just don't see why you are taking things this personally.

I hope you stay. I like your input, but only if it is open for dicussion.

Best.

#954065 - 05/06/08 10:04 PM Re: "Getting Out of the Kitchen When You Can't Stand the Heat"
KeysOnTheCeiling Offline

Just remember, it's the music and the love that is important. These times will end and the music will bring people together agian.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (accordeur, 36251, Alkanaut, 40 invisible), 1712 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74215 Members
42 Forums
153524 Topics
2249806 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
04/17/14 12:32 PM
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
04/17/14 10:50 AM
Piano Composition + a Drawing
by leandrobrunapiano
04/17/14 10:50 AM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
04/17/14 09:37 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
04/17/14 09:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission