Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
100 registered (Anita Potter, Anne'sson, AndyP, anamnesis, angga888, accordeur, 27 invisible), 1479 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#955566 - 07/23/04 05:21 AM Memory Playing
DW_mod Offline

Abt the memory thing... I dunno whether this will work for everyone, but I used this method for a full hour recital, so should be ok. Do u guys have any ways to memory playing?:
1. Memorise as usual, but do not only by the shape, mechanical order of the fingers esp. 20th century, baroque pcs )...but most importantly by sound.
Doing by sound helps u to get the picture as a whole, as the sole purpose of memorising is to ensure a better flow/ more expressive performance of the music. And doing by sound helps u to pick up wherever u`re left off, esp. so when u play wrong notes during a recital.
Ie : Sometimes I played wrong notes in either hands, but as long as one of my hands`s still playing the main melody, then by hook or by crook, the other hand`ll join in soon. There`ll not be a big gap of silence without knowing how to continue from ur mistake...that`s when you`ll feel really awkard. So, let yr ears help u.
2. Memorising also means the ability to start anywhere as u like. It doesn`t mean that u can only start from a particular portion or section of the piece. If so, this only means that u`re only familiar with the main sections, not the piece as a whole.
3. Always practice running through the whole programme when yr done memorising the small parts. Alot of people only work on parts that they think are not so good...There`s nothing wrong with that, but if yr preparing to play infront of any `audience`/exam...it`s always essential to run through the whole actual programme daily. And dun try to correct your mistakes...just go on. This will make sure that u dun get blank outs during the occassion that u do play wrong notes in an exam. Remember! Playing wrongly doesn`t mean that u have to stop. If u have this bad habbit of stopping, then u must run through the whole programme consistently to change this bad habbit.
4. Try playing with the radio or Tv on. This is the best method I`ve tried so far. Bcaz though I`m quite used to memorising . but unfortunately, I`ve a very short concentration span. This will help u to stay focus, esp. for longer programmes like sonatas,suites or even concertos.
5. Reverse order. And perhaps this's the most important strategy. Just like 'studying' itself... You're always told to study smart by preparing for the last subject first and so on.... So I always believe it's important to rehearse/practice the last programme first during the actual day of the concert. Why? So that u get to do yr first item last! And u're left with the 'freshest' finger memory for that nerve-wrecking first item. If u manage to pull off that first one, the rest will fall nicely in place.
So, remember. Reherse the other way round.
Article taken from http://www.solomusic.net/forum

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#955567 - 09/03/04 06:22 AM Re: Memory Playing
FallingLeaves Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
 Quote:
Originally posted by DW_mod:
2. Memorising also means the ability to start anywhere as u like. It doesn`t mean that u can only start from a particular portion or section of the piece. If so, this only means that u`re only familiar with the main sections, not the piece as a whole. [/b]
I used to have that problem! When I was nervous while performing in front of other people, my mind would suddenly go blank, and then I would have no idea where to start from \:\( But this summer I went to a music camp where I worked with another private teacher, and after hearing about it and witnessing it once or twice, said the same exact thing.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just joined
by wise_manzard
11/27/14 10:20 PM
LACHNIT MK22
by Vas
11/27/14 09:27 PM
You Usually Get what you Pay for in this World.......
by Paul678
11/27/14 08:22 PM
Steinway legs?
by Klavimaniac
11/27/14 06:58 PM
1875 legs and lyre where to get?
by Klavimaniac
11/27/14 06:02 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159409 Topics
2341653 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission