Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#955696 - 09/18/04 03:12 PM New to Jazz
Tim L Offline

Loc: California Baby!!
hi everyone! well i have a question to all those jazz experts out there...how do you play jazz!! i have played about 9 years of classical music and it's time to try something new. i have heard some cds of jazz pianst and i want to try it. so if you could give me some advice or names of pieces to try that would be just great. thanx

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#955697 - 09/18/04 03:49 PM Re: New to Jazz
jazpianizt Offline

#955698 - 09/20/04 05:21 AM Re: New to Jazz
NeoDavinci Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Find jazz recordings you like, use something to slow them way down, and start transcribing. The simpler, the better at first. \:\)
Mark

#955699 - 09/21/04 12:17 AM Re: New to Jazz
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
some good things to start out with would be dave brubeck stuff like blue rondo alla turca or take five, or my personal favorites by him, unsquare dance and bossa nova usa. Be careful with dave though, because his counting in his songs is a bit weird. Also try April in Paris by Thelonious Monk. That's just really fun to play, for me at least.

You play jazz by an understanding of theory. And then you forget all of that and just learn a basic theme and improvise like there's no tomorrow. Just have a good ear. Jazz really has no rules, so play around as much as you like and use weird counting, because at timse it can be really interesting.

find any song and memorize the theme and then try to see how much you can improvise on it. It really helps.

#955700 - 09/21/04 06:43 AM Re: New to Jazz
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
I have a ways to go before I will call myself a proficient jazz player.. but I absolutely understand what it will take for me to get there. But JosephS is right when he says that "you play jazz by an understanding of theory". You said
 Quote:
so if you could give me some advice or names of pieces to try that would be just great.
There are thousands of jazz "pieces" out there, check out a Real Book. but you won't find (and if you do it's purely for pedagogical purposes) "sheet music" for jazz pieces, with all the notes written out for you to learn, note by note, like you would a classical piece. You'll generally see chord charts that simply list the progression, maybe a rhythmic figure or a bit of the melody, but that's it. it really is about improvisation within a structure, and listening to the other players, which requires a thorough, backward and forward and inside out understanding of chord and harmony theory.. Which, as JosephS said, you then forget all about and just play.

I'm currently working with This Book

edit- also, I'll also agree with what NeoDavinci said about transcribing your favorite jazz pieces. While possibly tedious and time consuming, it can be an enormously beneficial learning experience to do so.

-Paul

#955701 - 09/21/04 06:58 AM Re: New to Jazz
NeoDavinci Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
While we're recommending theory books, The Jazz Piano Book by Mark Levine is hands down my favorite.
http://www.marklevine.com/books.html

Mark (but not Levine) \:\)

#955702 - 09/21/04 07:16 AM Re: New to Jazz
MikeMcf31 Offline

Loc: Northern NJ
This site would be great for you

http://www.learnjazzpiano.com/citadel/scotcit.mvc

Also, JosephS. etal, I have some Brubek transcriptions including ronda alla turca.. if you are interested in any of it I have it scanned, send me an email at
mmcfadden@clarendon-ins.com and i'll shoot you a copy.
Mike

#955703 - 09/21/04 07:28 AM Re: New to Jazz
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
 Quote:
Jazz really has no rules, so play around as much as you like and use weird counting, because at timse it can be really interesting.
I guess all those years of music school were a waste...

#955704 - 09/21/04 07:34 AM Re: New to Jazz
jazpianizt Offline

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jazz really has no rules, so play around as much as you like and use weird counting, because at timse it can be really interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess all those years of music school were a waste...
:D \:D \:D

#955705 - 09/21/04 07:21 PM Re: New to Jazz
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
you know what I meant.

it's a buddhist philosophy. "Find the way, know the way, leave the way." no, it's taoist. but regardless, after a while all those lessons kind of just merge into one and piano becomes very natural to you that you don't have to remember all those years of lessons.

I wouldn't had been in lessons for so long if that wasn't the case. You have to learn somewhere.

#955706 - 09/22/04 07:08 AM Re: New to Jazz
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
I am no jazz player, but am starting to study it. My take jazz playing is kind of like "soul" singing, i.e. it is ok to wander around a bit, as long as you get back "home" from time to time. Start with progressions in sevenths, especially the ii-V-I with the majors being M7ths not dom7ths for a jazzier sound. To this eventually add "extensions" like the 9th and 13th, etc. I think it has to do with harmonics, so that lets say you are in the key of "C". If you play middle C and the next D, it sounds dissonant. But move the D up and octave and it becomes a "9th" which is cool. Basically, there are no "wrong" notes. If you play something that seems odd or wrong, just come back to it again a couple of time and it will seem right! Do a google for "Jamie Abersold" to find play along books and CDs.
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

#955707 - 09/26/04 02:02 AM Re: New to Jazz
neciebuggs Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chula Vista
Ahhh... to play jazz... My best friend is an awesome professional jazz pianist... He is just finishing up his second solo cd... I wish i lived closer to him so he can help teach me. I have soo many books on jazz and jazz theory... and he laughs at me. He has been playing on the circuit since he was 14 and is now in his late 20's. BUT he is also an amazing classical pianist, very well rounded!

His advice to me was LISTEN... LISTEN... LISTEN... DIGEST what you hear.... and reproduce by transcription or feel... and go with it. This sounds rather ultra simplistic... and after a year of his mentorship... I still cant play very well... but... I can improvise a lot better...

There are no rules.

#955708 - 09/26/04 02:15 PM Re: New to Jazz
alfredo Offline

Here is a wrong note even in jazz:
Play a C major 7 chord in the left hand and play a F natural whole note in the right hand.

#955709 - 09/26/04 02:16 PM Re: New to Jazz
alfredo Offline

I prefer "Metaphors For The Musician" by jazz pianist Randy Halberstadt over the Levine book.

Also, "Stylistic II/V7/I VOICINGS for KEYBOARDISTS" by Luke Gillespie is much more complete for learning voicings than the Levine book.

#955710 - 09/26/04 03:17 PM Re: New to Jazz
Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pensacola, FL
There are plenty of "rules" in jazz. Otherwise, how could Mark Levine, or anyone else, write a book about it. Examples: use 4ths rarely. As Stanza posted, use 7ths, 9ths, and 13ths frequently. Some voicings work better than others.

I suspect that the accomplished jazz musicians have incorporated the rules so thoroughly that they have become intuitive, so when the question "how do you play jazz," is asked casually of a jazz musician, the rules don't come to mind. So the casual answer one gets is, "there are no rules." But just try playing jazz without rules and see if it sounds like jazz.

#955711 - 09/26/04 03:20 PM Re: New to Jazz
ProPianoGuyBC Offline

Big Oscar Peterson fan here! Night Train is worth a look.

#955712 - 09/27/04 01:42 AM Re: New to Jazz
neciebuggs Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chula Vista
Ed,
You are right... i suppose what i meant by no rules is improvising within the structure (ie: rules) otherwise you wouldnt find a solo where the improv takes you to a completely other song and then back to the original song. I love how jazz is always full of suprizes for the ear.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rachmaninoff 2 and broken strings
by Anne'sson
41 minutes 21 seconds ago
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
Today at 08:55 AM
What happpened to the "edit" button?
by jim ialeggio
Today at 07:38 AM
AMusA reports?
by Badinage
Today at 07:03 AM
Dipabrsm starting as an adult?
by Franz Beebert
Today at 06:37 AM
Who's Online
134 registered (ando, ajames, anotherscott, Anne'sson, 47 invisible), 1590 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157688 Topics
2316138 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission