Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
98 registered (Anne'sson, Alan F, Anita Potter, accordeur, 29 invisible), 1460 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#955813 - 12/11/03 12:25 PM not doing their worksheets...
ebony & ivory Offline

Loc: Andover, Minnesota
Hello! I have, over the years, purchased several reproducible music theory worksheet books and each student is given 2 sheets a week as "homework". Most of the kids are anxious to get these sheets (they are fun kid sheets, coloring, word finds and things of that nature) they really enjoy doing them. It gives me great insight to what they know, and what we need to work on. Anyway, I do have a few students that habitually do not turn their sheets in for various reasons. Any suggestions on how to handle this? Thanks!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#955814 - 12/16/03 12:34 PM Re: not doing their worksheets...
Pyano Teacher Offline

Loc: California
Ebony & Ivory,

With very young kids (5-8 years old) I always do theory during their lesson time, because I know they will never do it at home. I have two good reasons:
1. If parents have never had any music education and try to help, they just confuse
children , so they do most of their homework wrong (sometimes common sense is not quite enough for music)

2. If parents, however, had musical education (when they were kids and they hated it) and kind of remember something Ė they try to explain the way they see it. Again, I end up spending another lesson(s) to explain what I have already done. And my (bad) experience is that kids trust their parents more then me (which is reasonable), so I had to fight THAT, as well. I used to hear comments like:Ē But MY MOM told me to do this way!Ē and there was no way to convince the kid that his mom was wrong. After couple of similar cases I decided to stop giving little kids any homework, even if they only had to color the notes.

For older ones (10 Ė 17 years old) I use method which simply drives them crazy, so they have no choice but finish those assigned pages. This is what I do (and to be clear Ė I donít do this on purpose!):

If they repeatedly come to lesson without having theory homework done, I keep explaining the same subject over and over again, with explanation that I have impression that they obviously didnít understand what they had to do or how to do, since they didnít do the homework. While I am doing that, I can see in their eyes that they donít like it. I always make sure I put the date in their assignment book WHEN and WHAT we did, so after two or three lessons, when I have parents involved (first two lessons I give kids a chance to handle that on their own, but if pattern continues, I invite parents on the next lesson), both student and parent feel pretty embarrassed. Next lesson Ė they have everything done.

This always works, because the same kids usually donít come to lesson without homework again, once they felt embarrassed in front of me and their parents. On the other hand, parents start controlling their kids more, because they also donít want to be embarrassed again and they donít want to pay me for doing the same lesson four times in a row, so THEY make sure kid is ready to move on. It just takes couple of lessons to do all of that slowly, but my experience is: it definitely works!

Good luck

#955815 - 12/16/03 02:28 PM Re: not doing their worksheets...
ebony & ivory Offline

Loc: Andover, Minnesota
Great idea, thanks! I'll be sure to try it :-)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hamelin plays Gershwin
by beet31425
41 minutes 8 seconds ago
Yamaha CP1 Vs CP4 Regardless of Price and weight :)
by Tylor
Today at 10:21 PM
Which part of the chord rests
by Anita Potter
Today at 10:08 PM
Yamaha P250
by Mind Flayer
Today at 09:59 PM
Baldwin Concertmaster tech needed
by daniokeeper
Today at 08:50 PM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159277 Topics
2339785 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission