2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
WKS70 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
It's been a pretty good teaching week. None of my students gave me fits over anything....this week, at least! But I had one little girl that really made me laugh. She's a brand new student.....an exceptionally small six-year-old with curly blond, almost white, hair and bright, blue eyes. She's been wanting to start lessons for well over a year and has asked me continuously when she can start. I've had her older sister and brother, and based on experiences with those two hellions, I've been putting this little girl off. I finally gave in this past week. At her first lesson, she perched up at my piano, so short that her feet just barely touched the foot bench. I introduced the do major scale and explained that it was a musical ladder. She did great with the fingering going up. Then I asked her what happens when you climb up a ladder? Expecting the usual student answer of, "you have to climb back down," I wasn't prepared when this tiny angel's eyes got big and she said, "Well, then you get scared!"

What have your students said or done this week that stood out?

Hello,

Here's one--last week I had a student who didn't appear to show up for his lesson. I looked for him in the waiting room, like I usually do, and after checking the piano showroom, I finally gave it up and went back to my studio, deciding to make good use of my time and practice.

Not long after my next lesson began, his mother showed up, wondering where he was. Surprised, I told her that I never saw him...we then began to look in ernest! About the time we were talking about calling the police, one of the salesmen found him curled up--fast asleep underneath one of the grand pianos.

we were really relieved to find him, but I think he got in trouble when he got home. LOL.

And I'm not sure if that's funny, or irritating...you decide.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Your sleeping story reminded me of a student falling asleep at lessons on me. I have 2 siblings that come together at lessons and while one has their lesson the other does things like homework, sits and listens to music on headphones, draws, or reads. Well, one day one sibling waiting fell asleep in a rocking chair and when it was her lesson time, we couldn't get her to wake up. Her sister and a sitter that brings them were yelling at her and shaking her arm and she just wouldn't wake up. We were all laughing about her sitting there not waking up and the sister and sitter didn't know what to do. They finally got her to wake up and she dragged over to the piano half awake. I offered that they could just go home and skip the lesson but they said no and she went ahead with her lesson.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OK, I thought of another one. I had a student who didn't show up for lessons and the parents never called to cancel the lesson. A couple days later another student that came for their lesson said, "I saw one of your other students the other day!" I said, "oh really, where at?" She said, "she was with her dad at the nature center and they said they were going to a movie next." When I asked what day it was, it was the day and time of their lesson!!!

Your sin will find you out! laugh I never said a word to the no-show parents and student about it.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Here's one:
I have a cute little girl that has always loved bugs.
She told me the other day at her lesson that one of her stick bugs is pregnant!! Laughing, I asked her how can a stick bug be pregnant? She said, "Oh, they can, and she is, I am trying to find homes for the babies."

Private Piano Teacher,
member MTNA and Piano Basics Foundation
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I've had a little boy ask me if I teach all my students how to build a piano.

One student didn't want to do exams because for her last exam, she was greeted by "weird people that looked like nurses" who took her into the examination.

One student asked me, "Do you-like-have to take an exam every year to prove that you're still a piano teacher?"

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission