Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#956471 - 04/28/07 01:03 AM Re: Autistic Student - please help!
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianobuff:
Mark737,

Then what is the answer? Is there one?

How does a piano teacher instruct an autistic student successfully. Can one?

You say that your son is totally non-verbal. Does this mean he might be able to learn music through listening and/then demonstration only. Not bothering with verbal instruction or music books.

My heart goes out to you. I am truly interested in finding a way. It to me seems that everyone is different, but when you have autism thrown in as well, what does or can a teacher do to succeed? [/b]
Autism traits and abilities cover a huge spectrum, My son could never play the piano as sad as it is to admit.

It sounds like the student you have can learn, and without knowing him/her I would be only guessing. I just hope the parents don't think just because the child is autistic that he/she is a savant, which is actually extremely rare.

Some traits that the autistic have are that they are very visual and take clues via vision. They also love structure as in doing thinks in a certain order.

The parents probably can help you the most of course.

Let us know how you make out. You probably can really make a difference in this child...

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#956472 - 04/28/07 01:22 AM Re: Autistic Student - please help!
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Mark 737,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for all the questions, hope you don't mind.

And by the way to make it clear mbrown is the original poster asking the original question. Don't mean to hi-jack.
Although, I'm sure this discussion will help us all.

I too have experienced teaching or trying to teach autistic children, that is why I am curious and why I am asking these questions.

When you say clues via vision, could this mean teaching by rote? Or demonstration? Could the structure you are talking about be for example playing one note in a specific rhythm and repeating it until the rhythm and technique (via vision) is mastered and then learning the next note, same way, etc, building upon small goals?

Or do you mean visual as learning from a book?

Thank you.

#956473 - 04/28/07 10:00 AM Re: Autistic Student - please help!
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianobuff:
Mark 737,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for all the questions, hope you don't mind.

And by the way to make it clear mbrown is the original poster asking the original question. Don't mean to hi-jack.
Although, I'm sure this discussion will help us all.

I too have experienced teaching or trying to teach autistic children, that is why I am curious and why I am asking these questions.

When you say clues via vision, could this mean teaching by rote? Or demonstration? Could the structure you are talking about be for example playing one note in a specific rhythm and repeating it until the rhythm and technique (via vision) is mastered and then learning the next note, same way, etc, building upon small goals?

Or do you mean visual as learning from a book?

Thank you. [/b]
Demonstrations will be very usefully as well as using a book. Verbal instruction can be difficult since they sometimes process information differently. Especially abstract information. Again, it truly depends on the child's handicap severity. With my son we use lots of hand signals and sign language.

The structure I speak of has more to do with a certain routine. These children seem to love an organized approach and to maintain a specific pattern in their activities. When you abruptly change things on them they can get upset.

I would imagine that scales which run in distinct patterns and can be demoed visually very well could be a great way to start.

#956474 - 04/28/07 12:14 PM Re: Autistic Student - please help!
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mark737:
I just hope the parents don't think just because the child is autistic that he/she is a savant, which is actually extremely rare.
[/b]
I share that concern, and I think one of the most important things mbrown can do is have a long chat with the parents about their goals and expectations regarding piano for their child. I got the feeling that mbrown was feeling frustrated because the lesson(s) were progressing slowly. But it could be that the parents are not worried about the rate of progress at all and simply want their child to have the experience of lessons. I know that I have enrolled my son in a plethora of activities, some meeting with more success than others, not because I am expecting him to excel in all or even any of them but because I am trying to give him as "normal" an upbringing as possible.

#956475 - 04/28/07 05:49 PM Re: Autistic Student - please help!
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mark737:
I just hope the parents don't think just because the child is autistic that he/she is a savant, which is actually extremely rare.
[/b]
I agree, though it has been shown that the occurrence of savants is much more likely among autistic population than the general one. This short article estimates 10% of autistic savants vs. less than 1% of savants in the general population.

Check out this amazing example of an autistic man with photographic memory:

http://break.com/index/autistic-man-draws-near-perfect-panorama=of-rome.html

#956476 - 05/25/07 07:45 AM Re: Autistic Student - please help!
AutisticPianoMethod Offline

Loc: Syracuse, NY
Greetings,I see lots of interest in teaching autistic children. I have been doing this for three years and have developed a curriculum targeted to that population. It is focused on playing by ear though it introduces reading gradually through a proto-reading system. You can check it out at www.AutisticPianoEXpress.com. I am also interested in comparing ideas with anyone else who is teaching special needs kids or adults. No doubt there are many and varied approaches to this work.

Nice to meet you all,

#956477 - 05/25/07 08:28 AM Re: Autistic Student - please help!
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum, Alex. \:\) Any relation to PW member John Citron, by any chance?

I've only had a chance to look briefly at your website, but your approach sounds intriguing. My son has been asking for piano lessons, but I'm not convinced he's got the motivation to sit down and concentrate for a normal lesson. I've been dabbling with him a little, using a John Thompson beginner book we had sitting around. He's usually ready to stop and do something else after 5 or 10 minutes. So your teach at home curriculum that I could do in short spurts sounds promising. I'll look closely at your materials this weekend.

#956478 - 05/25/07 10:34 AM Re: Autistic Student - please help!
pianolady14 Offline

This does look very interesting. I love the 2-track idea for repeats! I will look over it more over the holiday weekend.

#956479 - 05/28/07 10:14 PM Re: Autistic Student - please help!
PerformingYak Offline

Loc: Lightning Ridge, Australia
wow, this is really interesting. I have not had a lot of experience in teaching autistic students myself but I know there are a couple coming up in the school.. thanks for all the info here guys.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (a-z0-9, ajames, Abby Pianoman, 36251, 39 invisible), 1693 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156142 Topics
2292987 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist Noah Landis - Lowell, MA Sept. 6th
by Piano World
Today at 06:09 PM
Guidance for Publishing
by Dachshund
Today at 06:02 PM
Keith Emerson Playing NY in October!
by Piano World
Today at 05:52 PM
Action parts any different from 80s,90s, 2k Charles Walter?
by Gatsbee13
Today at 04:36 PM
Question about finger reach!
by Plopsy
Today at 04:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission