Originally posted by Candyman:
It really isn't a problem to choose several repertory books for students and add several books from individual composers. You might try to teach two from one book, but you really shouldn't worry if they only learn one.

The pleasure received from one piece is worth $10, don't you think Sarabande?
Yes, I agree. Sometimes, I've looked at the sheet music for a particular piece and at $3.95 or $4.95 for one piece of sheet music, one example might be Linus and Lucy, why not a whole book with that as well as some other pieces that a student might want to learn? I recently found a book of pretty nice piano arrangements intermediate level for $9.95 with Linus and Lucy, Over the Rainbow, Tommorrow, Pink Panther, Music Box Dancer, etc. It seems few and far between to find such a book but that's the kind of book I search for. Of course, we've probably all run across books where one or two pieces are really good and the rest terrible. I guess then it depends on whether a teacher or student is interested enough in those one or two good pieces.

Also especially when a student gets up there a ways in ability, and especially if they want a profession in music, it would be valuable to start adding some albums of the standard literature in decent editions.