Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#956742 - 05/24/08 10:08 AM Re: Urgent : Bringing the interest out of the bored...
Boxer Offline

Loc: Chicago
Wake up people! This poor girl has been playing the SAME THREE pieces for TWO YEARS! Are you guys robots that you see nothing wrong with this???

I would have given up on piano long ago, I assure you, if I were in the same situation. Or anything, for that matter, given a similar circumstance.

Here's an idea--she has the pieces memorized. STOP PLAYING THEM! The exam is a writeoff. She'll play how she plays. Done.

Start NOW with some new pieces. As though the exam were over already. Because it is. Taking it is just a formality. Maybe the week before the exam revisit the old pieces--once--to make sure the muscle memory hasn't slipped, but that's it. No dynamics, nothing. Just make sure she hits the notes. And then immediately go back to the new stuff, never to return to these again.

This poor girl obviously has been tortured with a horrible regimen. Once she realizes that you understand that--rather than just perpetuate it--she might start responding a little better. Given something NEW, she might actually start practicing. The last thing she needs is bar by bar instructions, or a lecture about 'only cheating herself' blah blah blah. Try a little empathy and move on. I'm guessing you'll get much better results.

EDIT: I misspelled a word! \:\)

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#956743 - 05/24/08 10:35 AM Re: Urgent : Bringing the interest out of the bored...
Toddo Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Boxer:
Wake up people! This poor girl has been playing the SAME THREE pieces for TWO YEARS! Are you guys robots that you see nothing wrong with this???

I would have given up on piano long ago, I assure you, if I were in the same situation. Or anything, for that matter, given a similar circumstance.

Here's an idea--she has the pieces memorized. STOP PLAYING THEM! The exam is a writeoff. She'll play how she pays. Done.

Start NOW with some new pieces. As though the exam were over already. Because it is. Taking it is just a formality. Maybe the week before the exam revisit the old pieces--once--to make sure the muscle memory hasn't slipped, but that's it. No dynamics, nothing. Just make sure she hits the notes. And then immediately go back to the new stuff, never to return to these again.

This poor girl obviously has been tortured with a horrible regimen. Once she realizes that you understand that--rather than just perpetuate it--she might start responding a little better. Given something NEW, she might actually start practicing. The last thing she needs is bar by bar instructions, or a lecture about 'only cheating herself' blah blah blah. Try a little empathy and move on. I'm guessing you'll get much better results. [/b]
What Boxer said!!! I totally concur.
it deserves this effort."

Ludwig van Beethoven 1770-1827

Piano: Yamaha U3E

#956744 - 05/24/08 12:17 PM Re: Urgent : Bringing the interest out of the bored...
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Student viewpoint here:

I just finished reading a book called "Note By Note." It's a great story by a piano teacher about her life and students.

If I can add on to Boxer's comments, take a tip from this book. When the author's students are bogged down and need motivation, the teacher asks the student what they have on their iPod. They then pick a piece and work on learning to play it together.

Personally, I think that if she is starting to pick up for technique and scales, she would shine working on some music she already loves.

Good luck with this student. I think the only way to turn things around is with a good healthy dose of love and care.

Rich

#956745 - 05/24/08 12:56 PM Re: Urgent : Bringing the interest out of the bored...
Lessajinomoto Offline

Loc: Malaysia
*sigh*...well, I guess letting the exam go, and re-focusing on something new, seems to be the best choice...

though I must say I feel heavy hearted...and guilty too...and helpless...and sorry, that I'm not able to help her in the exam as I would hope to...

Man, I wish I had her a year earlier or something...we could have started something new...and she could have done well in her exam...

Now, I'm just crossing my fingers that she will pass the border line...

*depressed*

#956746 - 05/24/08 04:54 PM Re: Urgent : Bringing the interest out of the bored...
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
Lessajinomoto, please remember that none of this is your fault. This girl has been taught by someone who has let her struggle on with the same pieces for over two years. The damage has been done. You must make it clear to the parents that had you took her on before the closing date you would not have entered her for the exam. You are not responsible for the outcome.

You would like to teach her to play the piano and to have some love and enthusiasm for it. We should not teach students to pass exams and collect certificates. However the exam goes she will be no better or worse a pianist as a result. You have an opportunity now to pull her out of this rut. If she enjoys playing and practices regularly then the rewards will come. Her parents should want her to enjoy playing the piano. That is far more important than passing exams.

#956747 - 05/24/08 05:17 PM Re: Urgent : Bringing the interest out of the bored...
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Lessajinomoto, as a student I have the impression that this girl is lucky to have stumbled on to you. From your very first post you have shown sensitivity to how things stood for her, how she is affected, what she needs. You have not blamed a student who shows little interest, but have sought to understand the situation and help her. She could easily have fallen upon a teacher who would give her more of the same, or not delve into the matter.

You demonstrate compassion, sympathy, dedication, and non-judgment. These attitudes transmit themselves to a student, even if the student does not initially dare respond. Have you ever been to the site of musicalfossils.com? Although it talks about adult learners, he also talks about emotional responses of students, the importance that a teacher has. I am thinking in particular of an adult learner who had been physically punished by his childhood teacher, and tried to resume the piano as a successful adult. He could not understand, when his teacher sat far away on a medicine ball, how he could reach him for blows and wondered whether the ball would be hurled at him. Non-abusive lessons were beyond his comprehension. There had been years of these nasty childhood lessons, and it took that particular adult student 1 1/2 years before he could trust his teacher and concentrate on learning to play the piano. All your student had were 2 1/2 years of the same boring piece (er, boring because they were always the same). I have a feeling that she will do well under your instruction.

KS

#956748 - 05/24/08 06:29 PM Re: Urgent : Bringing the interest out of the bored...
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Just want to quote what keystring said.
You are dealing with this person acknowledging and respecting her as an individual, not treating her like a student or like an idiot or resorting to silly teenagers stereotypes to avoid responsabilities. You showed a wonderful sensitivity, sympathy and humanity and thanks to these premise you and her will find a solution. She is lucky indeed to have found you.

#956749 - 05/24/08 06:32 PM Re: Urgent : Bringing the interest out of the bored...
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
91 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, aesop, Anticlock, Allan W., 31 invisible), 938 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157154 Topics
2308081 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New start - wish me good luck:)
by FarmGirl
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Automatic Piano Players...
by tksler
Yesterday at 10:33 PM
No one home?
by ScottM
Yesterday at 08:05 PM
Prokofiev's 5 piano concertos, live: Marinskij/Gergiev etc
by fnork
Yesterday at 07:36 PM
Has anyone here studied with S. Babayan
by Serge Marinkovic
Yesterday at 07:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission