2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
It's difficult to comprehend how some people are so untouched by music. Every special moment/era in my life is surrounded with a memory of some particular piece of music. I was out running and was overjoyed when I found a Beethoven sonata being played on my IPOD. I was also very humbled and filled with gratitude that I was able to play some of this great master's sonatas. Does anyone know of any books written on why some people have this gift --such emotional connection to music, while others do not?

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Irenev - Ah the $64 question. In my family of four siblings, with parents having deep musical interest, two grand parents having musical gifts, why then is only one of us a professional musician, one an amateur, and two have no interest in music what-so-ever? There was always music in our home, either live or classical on the radio/phono. We all went to concerts, we all went to music camps. It must be genetic, because as you can see, environment produced such different results.

And frustratingly, I have a student who is absolutely loaded with talent, and has almost zero interest in music. She can sing beautifully as well as play circles around any of her peers and most students 5 years her senior. I am, of course, crushed.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Your question is likely to elicit personal exposes on genetic musical skills ... but shouldn’t you rather read up on the biographies of the master composers who created the breathtaking music ... or even better ... be advised of top musical analysts with a genius description of the composer and the music.

One such is Antony Hopkins (not the actor) who wrote "The Dent Concertgoer’s Companion" ... here’s a sample of what is given of Hector Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique Op. 14 (1830) .

"A young musician of extraordinary sensibility and abundant imagination, in the depths of despair because of hopeless love, has poisoned himself with opium. The drug is too feeble to kill him but plunges him into a heavy sleep accompanied by weird visions. His sensations, emotions, and memories, as they pass through his affected mind, are transformed into musical images and ideas. The beloved one herself becomes to him a melody, a recurrent theme (idee fixe) which haunts him continually."

Then follows a poignant summary of each of the 5 movements.

The 642 page book is chock-ful of endless insights into the very best of musical masterpieces. There must be other books which deal exclusively with the Beethoven sonatas.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by btb:
Your question is likely to elicit personal exposes on genetic musical skills ... but shouldn’t you rather read up on the biographies of the master composers who created the breathtaking music ... or even better ... be advised of top musical analysts with a genius description of the composer and the music.

The 642 page book is chock-ful of endless insights into the very best of musical masterpieces. There must be other books which deal exclusively with the Beethoven sonatas.
I'm a former music major and often read dozens of books about composers, such as LVB and Prokofiev to name a few. They are of an entirely different category than myself and not what I was referring to in my question, but I do appreciate your information. I would love to know what makes some people come into this world with such emotion, understanding and connection with music and others just seem to miss it entirely? I guess I should view it the same way as athletics--some people love it and some could live very happily without it. confused

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
E
E
Originally posted by Irenev:
Every special moment/era in my life is surrounded with a memory of some particular piece of music.
I think more people feel this than you may suspect. Your average Joe probably doesn't connect with a Beethoven Sonata the way you do, but play the right Bon Jovi song and he is transported right back to his high school years. laugh

Think about how many couples have a song that is special to them, or how many people can name an album that brings back a flood of memories.

I think that anyone with the ability to hear has some kind of "soundtrack" to their life, music or sounds they have connected with, consciously or subconsciously. So while some may remain "untouched" by music that moves you deeply, I would bet that most people have connected with some form of music throughout their lives, on some level.

I don't know of any books on the subject but it might be an interesting study...

Elaine

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You seem to have discovered that music sparks remembrances ... acts like a joyful bookmark of life experiences ... but heck ... there’s more
to music than providing reruns of happy times ... we’re talking of composer genius providing us with a kaleidoscope of aural aesthetics.

Reading between the lines you’re telling us that you are not great on sport ... and in spite of being a former music major that you would like
to share more insight into music ... an apparent genetic skill.

Your mention of having read dozens of books on composers with passing mention of Beethoven and Prokofief ... points to an Alice in Wonderland
inability to get into the magic garden ... with lots of tears.

To reach the garden you must be true to yourself ... and not be influenced by others ... follow your secret heart.

But maybe I’m rambling ... and ought to offer to do the washing up.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission