Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#959473 - 07/17/07 05:13 PM Teaching Class/Group Piano
pianoanne Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific NW
I am a little nervous about the teaching assistantship job I will be starting next month at a new school where I will be going. I will have to teach 3 sections of class piano for non piano majors and I have no experience teaching this way yet. I have experience teaching adult beginner students and kids all one on one. Are there any tips I should know about? Can you give me an idea of what to expect, what are the common problems that people have encountered teaching this way? One thing I worry about is having students who learn at different paces. In this case do I just move at a pace I think is necessary to get through everything and then just hope everyone who is behind will catch up on their own? Thank you.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#959474 - 07/18/07 10:59 AM Re: Teaching Class/Group Piano
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Well, first of all, have they told you what text you should use? Having a good text to work from is ideal. Most of these students will be able to read music (although you may get some that are very schetchy on it), however, they will most likely only be able to read in one clef or the other unless they had some piano background. I was a voice major and while I tested out of the first semester, I decided I wanted to take the 2nd semester to help me with sightreading and learning to play from choral music. It was extremely helpful in those two regards, even though the rest was just review. I wasn't bothered at all about the review stuff, because I love piano \:\) . This may not be the case for most students, however.

I suggest incorporating a lot of improvisational exercises to help relieve the stress of piano class. Many students are *very* nervous about piano class. At the beginning do a lot of group playing so that the mistakes won't be noticed as much. If you notice a student falling behind or not getting something, you can give assignments for everyone to do with headphones on while you go around the room to listen to their individual playing and offer suggestions to help. Your expereience in teaching one on one is very valuable, and will come in handy here.

Also, with group playing, don't forget that you can split the classroom up, and one side to RH and one to LH, and then switch. The possilibites are endless!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#959475 - 07/18/07 09:56 PM Re: Teaching Class/Group Piano
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Morodiene makes some good suggestions.

I've been teaching class piano nearly every semester since '99, but not with nonmajors.

-I would get very familiar with the text far in advance.
-Perhaps arrange for your supervisor to teach your first 1-2 class meetings and PAY ATTENTION to what they do.
-Observe others teaching the same course besides your supervisor.
-for the sake of interest, rotate activities frequently... don't spend more than 15 minutes on one topic or they will tune you out!
-vary the type of playing [this involves knowing how to run the equipment in the lab]: call on some individuals to play out loud, have groups play together, have people working in pairs on headsets, just mix it up.
-two common mistakes my new TA's will make are: talking too much [give short, clear instructions], not giving any feedback [positive or constructively negative], and not getting up and walking around the room enough to see what the students are really doing...
-if there are disk/sequencer accompaniments to go along with the book, learn how to use that equipment, mute parts, and adjust the tempo.

That's just a little of what pops into my mind right now... but I'm too tired from moving boxes of books to type any more. Hope it's useful somehow.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (Adam Coleman, accordeur, ando, 36251, 46 invisible), 1426 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74232 Members
42 Forums
153556 Topics
2250503 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Supporting young student
by Cardinal201
3 minutes 32 seconds ago
The Search
by mlpiano88
39 minutes 45 seconds ago
Polyphony with Polyphonist - Installment 1
by Polyphonist
Today at 06:51 PM
Help dating old Mcphail Upright Piano
by joe513
Today at 06:39 PM
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
Today at 04:33 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission