2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
W
I avoid the acronyms, but at some point most of my students learn them at school. It can be just as difficult to remember four acronyms that don't make sense, as it is to remember the lines and spaces, which do make sense.

Many of my students learn these funny ones at school:

Elvis Goes Boppin' Down the Freeway

Friendly Aliens Come Earth
wink

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Ashdyre - until I read this topic, I hadn't realized that I had stopped teaching acronyms, and a just started teaching the basic names and drilling students for a couple of minutes at lessons. The acronyms are helpful for a while during the learning process, but in the long run, as lalakeys pointed out, just plain memorization until it's part of your knowledge base, is the way to go. Thanks for the topic.

John

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I don't use acronyms at all, if I can help it. Sometimes my students will bring it up, or parents. But I've felt it confusing. I agree with the other posters that think landmark notes are the best way to learn.

I save acronyms for learning the order of sharps and flats.

But for the heck of it:

E ven G eorge B ush D rives F ast!!!!!

Private Piano Teacher,
member MTNA and Piano Basics Foundation
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Diane,
Uh, do you have young students who actually know who ELVIS really is???????
laugh
Geesh! Good point! Maybe I'll just change it from:

Elvis' Guitar Broke Down Friday, to;
Elmo's Guitar Broke Down Friday!

Pretty sure I saw Elmo with a guitar once! laugh

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
I think my favorite is "Eee Gee Bee Dee eFf"

FACE
good boys desverve fudge
all cows eat grass

get down and eat big fat carrots (order of keys)

Frank Burns Eats Apples in Gym Class

something like that

i use father chalres goes down and ends battle
battle ends and down goes charles father.

"Derrrr dat wuz gud"
A
Ashdyre Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally posted by KeysOnTheCeiling:
FACE
good boys desverve fudge
all cows eat grass

something like that

i use father chalres goes down and ends battle
battle ends and down goes charles father.
OK i feel really silly...

What do you mean:

I have no idea what those stand for...???

GDAEBFC?
FBEAGC?

Love is a friendship set to music.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What do you mean:

GDAEBFC?
FBEAGC?
Order of keys. smile

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by KeysOnTheCeiling:

something like that
"something like that" is the trouble with mnemonics. They can be remembered wrongly - or applied wrongly.

As for FBEAGC for "order of keys", where's the D? Maybe it should be "during" gym class. Which illustrates my point. smile You've got to know the right answer first in order to know whether your little rhyme is right . . .

Du holde Kunst...
I too use the FACE methods

Space rhymes with FACE therefore the space notes spell FACE

The Bass clef is lower so the FACE starts beLOW the staff also spelling FACE but with a twist it now spells FACEG and they love the nonsense word of the bass blef and they tend to remember it as well as the treble clef notes.

Too many things to remember is bad, but the FACE for all the face notes is what I have found the easiest.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Mnemonics work better when they conjure up some absure picture or contain some well-placed expletives.

Fat Cat Goes Down Alley Eating Boogers

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
A
Ashdyre Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally posted by keystring:
What do you mean:
get down and eat big fat carrots [b](order of keys)

GDAEBFC?
FBEAGC?
Order of keys. smile [/b]
HAHAHAH omg i seriously had to think about that one for a long time. i thought you meant litterally the order of the keys on the piano... and i'm like, that's ABCDEFG... LOL wow, i definitely feel silly now laugh

Love is a friendship set to music.
HAHAHAH omg i seriously had to think about that one for a long time. i thought you meant litterally the order of the keys on the piano... and i'm like, that's ABCDEFG... LOL wow, i definitely feel silly now
Me? NO, that was KeysontheCeiling (did I get the name right?) But I've been accused of not listening carefully to every word so I went back to see what the OP had written and so the explanation in brackets. I still didn't catch everything, though, since I missed the missing D. I just did two theory exams less than half a year ago so these things are fresh in my memory.

I don't use memnonics, though. My imagery is subject to mutation. My "every good boy deserves fudge" could easily become "all kind children get popsicles" and then I'd wonder what note starts with k and p.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ClaraSchumann:
Acronyms get in the way of understanding how the staff is designed. I avoid them like the plague. Students who learn them usually get stuck and have to go through the entire memory device before realizing the next note is merely one step down, for example. Also, like Betty mentioned, it requires an unnecessary step in playing music, which is very hard to unlearn.

It's far more profitable to teach intervals and the basic idea of up and down. I've been amazed at how few students, unless taught, can articulate which direction the notes are moving. Beginners need to spend a fair bit of time pointing to the notes with their fingers and saying up or down. This helps the brain and the body engage together. Once this foundation is in place, they move on to learning distance...how far?

I introduce note name recognition along the way, but the focus is on distance and interval. If more practice is needed, flashcards can help, especially if you have them practice saying the note name AND playing it on the keyboard. That's helpful.

Acronyms are great for other theory concepts, like the order of sharps or flats.
+1

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Has anyone actually read my posting on page 1 about middle line-ness? You would be surprized what doing this on your piano does for you!

It eliminates having to name any note - much less give it a mnenomic name - finding it through the 5 line - 4 space (9 note group) using the middle line is almost instantaneous.

Use both hands within the proper position, do the lines with fingers 1-3-5 and spaces with fingers 2-4.

This finds which note on the keyboard you are looking for - you'll need to put it into content with the correct fingering for moving ahead.

But, this removes the battle - how about that!

What results are you getting?

Betty

Do give the girls a choice though, and most times they chose Elvis' over the diamonds!
And might some of the boys choose diamonds over Elvis? wink

D
D
With my pre-staff students, I do activities using the staff and the piano where the notes are placed going up or down only a step or a skip away from each other. They tell me verbally what's going on ("it skips up, then steps down" etc.) and then they play it on the piano for me after I give them a starting note. Once they are fairly comfortable reading steps and skips and the direction of notation, then we start talking about the note names.

I usually encourage each student to come up with his own mnumonic device so he can take ownership of the staff. One 3rd grade boy named Caleb who is already a computer geek, came up with accronym for the bass cleff spaces: Allow Caleb Electronic Games.

The tough part for me is remembering each student's personal sentence!

I am very surprised and motivated to read how many teachers avoid teaching acronyms. I think I'll stop drilling sentences as much and work more on intervals and directions.

Full-time, independent piano instructor; church musician
MTNA, ISMTA, working towards NCTM!
D
D
Originally posted by ClaraSchumann:
Acronyms get in the way of understanding how the staff is designed. I avoid them like the plague. Students who learn them usually get stuck and have to go through the entire memory device before realizing the next note is merely one step down, for example. Also, like Betty mentioned, it requires an unnecessary step in playing music, which is very hard to unlearn.

It's far more profitable to teach intervals and the basic idea of up and down. I've been amazed at how few students, unless taught, can articulate which direction the notes are moving. Beginners need to spend a fair bit of time pointing to the notes with their fingers and saying up or down. This helps the brain and the body engage together. Once this foundation is in place, they move on to learning distance...how far?

I introduce note name recognition along the way, but the focus is on distance and interval. If more practice is needed, flashcards can help, especially if you have them practice saying the note name AND playing it on the keyboard. That's helpful.

Acronyms are great for other theory concepts, like the order of sharps or flats.
The best reply yet! Acronyms place too much emphasis on the "vertical" aspect of the staff rather than developing "horizontal" reading skills. Learn your signpost notes and steps and skips first.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My personal experience:

We people from southern europe do not have your strange letter system, but the do-re-mi system.

So a child seats in front of the sheet music and learns where the middle C sits, and calls it "do", and the rest follows.

I'd say that *no one* has *ever* felt the need for complicated acronyms to know what sits where, the blue cats smoking dope over the roof, yellow boys eating electric cake and the like.. wink .

It sounds to me like wanting to invent complicated, difficult to remember acronyms to deal with the names of the seven dwarfs, or of the days of the weeks, or of the number 1,3,5,7 and 2,4,and 6.

Methiks, by the time a child has memorised the strange guys being good and eating fattening things which have nothing to do with a keyboard or similar very abstract concepts, he has learned how the notes are named and where they sit once and for all just seeing where they sit and calling them by their proper name.

Moreover,other than the southern European system the US one follows an alphabetical order, so whoever knows the alphabet must forcibly know the notes.
A (very young) child might not instantly remember than after "do" is "re", but if he can read he will know that after C comes D.

But that's another fake problem: if you ask me, every child can learn do-re-mi-fa-sol-la-si-do, every child does that in Europe and no one has ever thought it needs further complications.

In fact, I have known 6 weeks ago for the first time that this acronyms or abbreviations exist in the first place, the need for them had never struck me in my almost 42 years of existence.

But I remember as a child being able to remember in very few days names and surnames of all my class comrades, without any alphabetical order tohelp me. If someone had told me it's "difficult" and had devised strange acronyms " the mad cow eats electric grass after the post office had continental breakfast" I think I would be still occupied with the task.. wink

Just my two cents, but really: it amazes me...

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
The "do re mi" that Innominato mentions is called the "fixed do" system, and it works fine unless the student also learns to sing, in which case it can be confusing. Most colleges, voice teachers, and choir directors use a "movable do", meaning that "do" will always be the keynote of the piece being sung. A singer will relate each note in his/her part to that keynote, or "do".

It also seems to me that using "fixed do" would limit a piano student to using only the white keys for a while, because 'do re mi fa sol la si do" refers to CDEFGABC. Most modern piano methods include sharps and flats within the first few weeks of study, at least for school-aged beginners.

Of course, I'm a bit biased because I teach voice as well as piano!

Private piano & voice teacher for over 20 years; currently also working as a pipe organist for 3 area churches; sing in a Chicago-area acappella chamber choir
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission