Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#961130 - 03/22/05 09:21 AM Teachers teaching their own kids
YSL Offline

Loc: Australia
Any piano teachers out there who agree that teaching one's own child is a rewarding experience?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#961131 - 03/22/05 10:28 AM Re: Teachers teaching their own kids
Mathilde Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois, USA
Disclaimer: IANA piano teacher.

But I am a mom of three older teens, and I'm here to say that every single one of my experiences with attempting to formally teach things to my own kids (Sunday School, summer school "enrichment" activities, recorder, guitar, piano) have been complete disasters. "Mom as teacher" NEVER works, in any field, in my opinion.

#961132 - 03/22/05 10:42 AM Re: Teachers teaching their own kids
cranky woman Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I have been teaching for over 18 years and now have 3 of my own teenagers, 18, 15, and 13. I have taught them all to some degree, but they have all had much more success with other teachers. I have found, however, that my boys were more receptive to my teaching than my daughter, whatever that means, I don't know.

No matter how carefully I approached a "teaching moment" my children many times would perceive the comments as personal attacks instead of suggestions.

Another teacher can say exactly the same thing and my children have all responded well to the other person.

If it works for you.....good luck! I opted for spending the money and saving the parent/child relationship.

Charlene

#961133 - 03/22/05 11:32 AM Re: Teachers teaching their own kids
ken070749 Offline

Quote:
however, that my boys were more receptive to my teaching than my daughter, whatever that means, I don't know.
Glenn Gould was taught by his mother up until he was 10.

I wonder what happens when a father tries to teach his own daughter? Ruth Slenczynska was taught by his father. That was child abuse apparently and it was not clear if she had a brother learning with her as a comparison of father teaching.

#961134 - 03/22/05 04:51 PM Re: Teachers teaching their own kids
YSL Offline

Loc: Australia
It is really strange to know that Mozart was taught by his dad and Bach taught his own sons too but these days I have heard so many stories of parents (especially mums) not being able to teach their own kids as it destroys the relationship. Do you have a say in this?

#961135 - 03/23/05 04:56 AM Re: Teachers teaching their own kids
leebea Offline

Loc: Peoria, Arizona (formerly MA)
IMHO, I don't believe that comparing "teaching relationships" or relationships in general between parents and their children in 2005 vs. the days of the "old masters" is a fair comparison.

#961136 - 03/23/05 11:05 AM Re: Teachers teaching their own kids
IgnorantHusband Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
My wife is a very very good player. She would even think of teaching the boys. She can't even make suggestions to my boys without them taking it negatively. The same comments from the teacher is at least accepted.

In observing how we are doing with my 4 year old daughter I think it comes down to this. Sometime between praising our babies we transition to negative feedback vs. postive. It is in this transition we seem to loose the credibility in their eyes.

#961137 - 03/23/05 11:06 AM Re: Teachers teaching their own kids
IgnorantHusband Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Opps in my haste

"She would "

Should read " She wouldn't"

#961138 - 03/31/05 07:30 AM Re: Teachers teaching their own kids
Teng, M Offline

Loc: Singapore
It's difficult. I think most of the time the parent and the child just wind up in a major POWER STRUGGLE contest.
Just take me and my nephew for instance, I( or he rather) can't even get pass the 'sit still' stage.
But I've friends who are decent pianists, and their children seem no less amazing than them.
I think it's a problem of letting them get use to this 'I teach u, u listen' routine in the earlist stage possible.

#961139 - 04/04/05 09:48 PM Re: Teachers teaching their own kids
PlayForFun Offline

Loc: Utah
I've been teaching my sons (10 and 11) for about six months. They had the choice of me or a teacher and chose me. I'm not a professional music teacher but I do have a teaching background in sports and academics, and solid piano and music theory knowledge. I've found it to be very rewarding, but I've learned a lot. We've had plenty of tears and bad feelings, and also some fun and pride.

Here's my short list of lessons learned so far and I hope this thread continues with other suggestions and lessons:
1. Be organized and professional; have lesson plans and learning objectives.
2. Follow a progressive, age-appropriate curriculum (I'm using Piano Town and Alfred as the base).
3. Use lesson time more for teaching than evaluation (I still need to work on this; what I think I need to do is have them self-evaluate and ask for help where they need it).
4. Remember that lesson time and supervised practice is "quality time with dad," so include a lot of fun, opportunity to perform, and especially doing things together.

My most successful teaching tool so far is to have them pick a popular song they like. Then we listen to it on the stereo together and pick out the melody. I have them pick out the first few notes of each phrase and then I help enough that they can get the whole melody in 15 minutes or so. Then I let them play along with the stereo a few times. Later I score the song with a simple one or two note left hand.

These are the songs they sit down and play for fun and to perform for friends and family. It gives them ear training and a little theory (we talk about what key the piece is in). Mostly it's a fun and cool thing we do together.

I need to find more of this kind of learning activity and I think we'll be successful.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
165 registered (accordeur, A Guy, 36251, Akshay, 50 invisible), 1461 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153592 Topics
2251025 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
22 minutes 10 seconds ago
Am I Too Old?
by HatemTarek22
29 minutes 13 seconds ago
New 52" upright with 10K budget?
by WCSdancer
37 minutes 36 seconds ago
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
Today at 06:41 PM
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
Today at 05:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission