Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
160 registered (accordeur, Anne'sson, ABC Vermonter, Anita Potter, activee, 42 invisible), 1695 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#961535 - 11/24/08 02:29 AM Re: I forgot my music again…
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
I'm not sure what you mean by "classical arrangements". But if someone is arranging something, you are more than free to do whatever you want, yourself. Because someone else already did. \:\)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#961536 - 11/24/08 02:53 AM Re: I forgot my music again…
Nannerl Mozart Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia, Melbourne
Nevermind, I don't know either \:\( . I'm very tired. I'll try to make sense of your message in the morning.

#961537 - 11/26/08 02:33 AM Re: I forgot my music again…
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Consider this possibility.
When a student forgets his music, you can simply let him read from your score, if you have it, which you almost certainly should. You don't need to even give a lecture. Or harbour any ill feelings.

#961538 - 11/26/08 03:24 AM Re: I forgot my music again…
Sal_ Offline

Loc: Lacey, WA
No ill feelings?!

What about the ones who forget their theory, and their music, at least 2/3 classes?

I love it when students forget their music it because they left it by their instrument--it means they practiced! (Naturally, I'd prefer if they practiced and brought it with them to class so we can mark it up some more.)

#961539 - 11/26/08 07:45 AM Re: I forgot my music again…
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Hehe, my music once separated from the cover and I brought the cover to my lesson. The dumbfounded look on both our faces as the cover was carefully opened and smoothed to reveal nothingness must have been priceless. \:D We decided that I should played what would be there if it were there because we guessed that I probably had memorized some, and could extrapolate more of the rest. Then for the remaining time (I have hour long lessons) we worked on something invented on the fly. There are so many aspects to music one can explore - ear training, for example.

#961540 - 11/26/08 02:20 PM Re: I forgot my music again…
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by btb:
We’re beating about the bush chaps ... the underlying reason for having forgot the music is because the student can’t sight-read, hates sight-reading and subconsciously (or not) hopes that the apparent lapse in forgetfulness will ease the lesson torture of having to continue with sight-reading. [/b]
Not really...

Those who always forget to bring the theory book--they didn't do their theory homework! I have many copies of theory worksheets, so they will just have to do them during the lesson.

Those who always forget to bring the repertoire books--they didn't practice the pieces in those books. They'll just use my book and work on two measures.

Those who always forget to bring their technique books--they hate the scales, chord progressions, etc. I'll just make them write it all out by hand. I have plenty of staff paper.

Those who always bring the wrong books--they think you won't be as mad if they did it "by mistake" and grabbed the wrong book; they also didn't practice those pieces.

If my students hate sight reading (a few do), I'll just give them sight reading tests at every lesson and grade them. Then I'll post their grades for all to see.

Always follow through with a consequence.

#961541 - 11/26/08 05:13 PM Re: I forgot my music again…
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
This is what I wrote to start this thread:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Gary D.:
How do the rest of you handle the situation when students show up with no music? [/b]
I know that I put "again" in the title, but I did not have in mind students who usually or frequently come to lessons without music.

I've had one student forget music twice over the last few months.

If I found that my students were not bringing materials in to avoid playing them, I would have to re-think the way I teach.

#961542 - 11/26/08 05:51 PM Re: I forgot my music again…
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Originally posted by AZNpiano:

Those who always forget to bring the repertoire books--they didn't practice the pieces in those books. They'll just use my book and work on two measures.

Those who always forget to bring their technique books--they hate the scales, chord progressions, etc. I'll just make them write it all out by hand. I have plenty of staff paper.

Those who always bring the wrong books--they think you won't be as mad if they did it "by mistake" and grabbed the wrong book; they also didn't practice those pieces.

If my students hate sight reading (a few do), I'll just give them sight reading tests at every lesson and grade them. Then I'll post their grades for all to see.

Always follow through with a consequence. [/b]
How effective are your methods AZN? ( I don't mean in a negative way necessarily.. just curious)

#961543 - 11/27/08 07:41 AM Re: I forgot my music again…
Nannerl Mozart Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia, Melbourne
Woah AZN piano, that shoulds very strict ... you must make a great teacher! I always bring the right materials because it becomes a routine, my mum used to check with me to make sure that I brought all the right books.

Now that I am older I don't forget, once or twice I have forgotten my notebook but no dramas there I just write notes on a separate sheet of paper. I don't often bring my technique book, as my teacher expects scales and exercises to be memorised by the week.

Maybe its just time to lessen the load so then students won't bring the wrong book. Once I did forget my music, my teacher had his own copy, that is one way of not having a student

How many books do you have your students bring? I normally keep photocopies in one folder, leaving the books I brought at home. It doesn't breech copyright as far as I am aware as its for my own use and I do have authentic copies. I usually end up only bringing two books, my notebook and folder.

What if you lessened the load ... ?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
12/22/14 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
12/22/14 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
12/22/14 04:34 PM
Is this now real enough?
by Philip_Johnston
12/22/14 04:21 PM
Quick question
by Phil Greenough
12/22/14 03:51 PM
Forum Stats
77396 Members
42 Forums
160065 Topics
2350596 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission