Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#962098 - 11/17/08 08:39 PM teaching pedal
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
OK, here goes. How early do you teach it.

How do you teach it?

Do you have problems with very young ones?

For instance, my youngest students have to sit right on the edge of a bench or whatever they use in order to reach the sustain pedal. In some instances this places them a little lower than I would like, so that elbows are a bit below their wrists. I started when very young, and because I was very small, I had to sit on the very edge, with a pillow.

They all seem to "grow into it", so I've never seen any problems as a result.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#962099 - 11/17/08 09:12 PM Re: teaching pedal
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Some teachers use a pedal extender. I think they're fairly expensive - there have been threads about them in the past.

I too begin teaching pedal pretty early. Don't have time now, but I'll weigh in on this later \:\) .

#962100 - 11/17/08 09:20 PM Re: teaching pedal
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
\:D me and sotto voce. I read this title as if "teaching" modified "pedal" and thought maybe it was the brake on the passenger side in a car that's used for driver's ed!

Carry on -

Cathy

#962101 - 11/17/08 11:15 PM Re: teaching pedal
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I never even considered pedal extenders, or whatever they are called, because then students are limited as to where (what instruments) they can play.

#962102 - 11/17/08 11:55 PM Re: teaching pedal
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I use pedal extensions A LOT for my students. I make my students sit quite high, and I would never ask them to sit at the edge of the bench just so they can reach the pedals.

Young students need to start using pedals within the first year of piano. They need to get accustomed to hearing the sonorities a piano can produce. Since kids start playing at a younger age than ever, pedal extensions are more than necessary.

It is also wonderful to see that many teachers in my area are starting to use pedal extensions. When you go to a piano festival or competition, you see a bunch of moms fixing the pedals. Funny sight.

#962103 - 11/18/08 12:28 AM Re: teaching pedal
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AZNpiano:
I use pedal extensions A LOT for my students. I make my students sit quite high, and I would never ask them to sit at the edge of the bench just so they can reach the pedals.
I've never used them, but my students are not going to competitions. They play a lot of places that would never, in a million years, have such things.

For example, a six and a half year-old I'm teaching is going to play for his school around the beginning of December, and we've been preparing to make sure he is rock solid. Although he's younger than I was when I started, and a bit smaller, you might be suprised at how natural he looks. Believe it or not, when you sit on the very end, as he does and I did, you are not at all off balance. Its gets easier when you're bigger, of course, but the weight is rather well distributed if the feet are about shoulder width, with the right heel very firmly planted.

In a perfect world there would be perfect pianos everywhere, all with extenders. Still, I'm a fanatic about "no-pain-playing", so if there was any discomfort, anywhere, I'd not only hear about it but would immediately take steps to stop it. At least I hope so!

#962104 - 11/18/08 02:44 AM Re: teaching pedal
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Once their feet reach the floor I use it wherever appropriate. If you teach arm weight it's easier. So often it's foot up with arm down and foot quickly down again. The foot with the arm helps synchronize.

#962105 - 11/18/08 02:52 AM Re: teaching pedal
Sal_ Offline

Loc: Lacey, WA
When do you start teaching it? AZN said within the first year. Is this for developmental reasons or does it relate more to repertoire?

How do you teach it?

I use the pedal often when I play, but was never taught more that what the pedal markings on the page mean. It's something I've just adapted to when playing for myself. (I know, this is something I should know more about as a teacher, but better to ask than remain ignorant, if in higher standing.)

#962106 - 11/18/08 03:32 AM Re: teaching pedal
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
Once their feet reach the floor I use it wherever appropriate. If you teach arm weight it's easier. So often it's foot up with arm down and foot quickly down again. The foot with the arm helps synchronize. [/b]
Pinochio pedal. Or Mr. Ed. Foot goes up with hand, down with hand. And does nothing.

This is what most students who come to me do, no matter how many years of lessons they have had. It's so easy to teach it correctly, and once people get it right, they never go back to doing it wrong again.

#962107 - 11/18/08 04:36 AM Re: teaching pedal
keyboardklutz Offline

Pinocchio pedal! Great, I'll use that analogy.

#962108 - 11/18/08 04:59 AM Re: teaching pedal
lotuscrystal Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I teach pedalling technique in 'slow motion'...in order for them to co-ordinate effective technique.

As the hands come up, pedal stays down, just after hands go down, pedal goes up and down simultaneously on the exact note...this erases past harmonies, and catches the new one...

I find students can only grasp the process if practiced very slowly, then somehow, the ear and body work quite smoothly together, as it becomes second nature...usually only takes a week of two, once they appreciate the sound difference, their ear guides them as to the success/mistakes of their method efforts.

As for small children, it's a real challenge for them to use pedal at all, for the reasons you've mentioned above. I've never used a pedal extension. Not really my thing. In my opinion, if a student is too young to handle the pedal (ie, heal coming off floor, balancing on the edge of the bench, or foot hurting from the pressure of pushing down the pedal), then I just won't use it, until they're ready.

#962109 - 11/18/08 05:11 AM Re: teaching pedal
keyboardklutz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by lotuscrystal:
As the hands come up, pedal stays down, just after hands go down, pedal goes up and down simultaneously on the exact note...this erases past harmonies, and catches the new one...
[/b]
Surely it's hands down pedal up/down simultaneously?

#962110 - 11/18/08 05:39 AM Re: teaching pedal
lotuscrystal Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
 Quote:
 Quote:
[/b]
Surely it's hands down pedal up/down simultaneously? [/b]
Yes, in my description however, I just also covered the moment the hands came up and that the pedal should remain down...following from there, we're saying the same thing...amazing how many students think hands come up, pedal comes up!...which leaves a huge hic-cup in the music...it's like drunk pedalling! *hic* lol

#962111 - 11/18/08 07:10 PM Re: teaching pedal
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Pinocchio pedal! Great, I'll use that analogy. [/b]
And with two C's, ahem, two Cs. \:\)

#962112 - 11/18/08 07:25 PM Re: teaching pedal
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
In my opinion, if a student is too young to handle the pedal (ie, heal coming off floor, balancing on the edge of the bench, or foot hurting from the pressure of pushing down the pedal), then I just won't use it, until they're ready.
Usually small kids are not ready for pedaling, as I teach it, until they have played for six months to a year. Some may need longer. However, now and then I get a very talented young one who playing something that needs pedal, and I would never tell them that they can't use it just because they have to sit more on the edge of the bench, as I did when I was young.

It's a judgment call. I'm sure you watch very carefully, on a student by student basis, to see who is ready and who is not. \:\)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
108 registered (36251, ando, Akshay, Almaviva, 32 invisible), 1350 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153572 Topics
2250713 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What does this sign mean
by ryderb
1 minute 33 seconds ago
Worth upgrading from Studiologic SL990 for a beginner?
by moonchild77
43 minutes 17 seconds ago
Improving upright repetition
by pinkfloydhomer
Today at 07:44 AM
On Temperament strip muting, and other things
by Mark Davis
Today at 05:08 AM
NAAFI pianos
by PhilipInChina
Today at 04:41 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission