Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#962165 - 08/04/04 09:39 PM where to take lessons?
bach2bass6 Offline

Loc: Washington Dc
i live in the washington dc area and will be attending catholic university of america in the fall. although ill be majoring history, i also plan to take piano lessons in the music college there.

i was just wondering if that would be better than getting a private teacher.

mozart (pr. most-art)

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#962166 - 08/04/04 10:39 PM Re: where to take lessons?
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sometimes you can save money by taking lessons through the college as a course. This is because the lessons are subsidized by the government.

Sometimes the teachers at a college have higher degrees and performance experience. However, I got a pretty bad teacher at my university . I would try out a few teachers by asking for help on just one piece that you're working on. Don't say you're interested in anything more. That way the teacher won't feel they are being tested or compared to any other teacher. It really helps if you have a particular reason for working on that piece, say a competition or music recital.

Good luck!

#962167 - 08/10/04 03:12 PM Re: where to take lessons?
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Also check out the graduate students in performance and/or pedagogy, if the program exists. Grad students are often more flexible, understand the whole exam and class schedule rigamarole, and are much cheaper.

Some faculty won't take on extra students, or non-majors, without a compelling reason (like the student in question is very good).

#962168 - 08/20/04 04:00 AM Re: where to take lessons?
shaun bowman Offline

Loc: UK
This is exactly the kind of question which cannot be resolved on a purely rational basis. There are so many imponderables involved in securing the most beneficial pupil/teacher relationship. My best advice would be to look for MUSICAL ADVICE, rather than verbal. May I suggest a visit to The Oracle at the ICHINGMUSIC web-site? There, you may posit your question, and your reading will be delivered in a musical form. If you are sensitive to that, your solution will become manifest far more readily than in a verbal form.

SB

#962169 - 08/31/04 05:59 PM Re: where to take lessons?
HappyGoLucky Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Dear Bach2Bass6:

You posed a good question -- and with the exception of Nina - the responses are ridiculous.
This is supposed to be a forum for Piano TEACHERS for crying out loud !!!

I have a similar problem. I live in the Washington, DC area and want to start (again) taking piano lessons.

I honestly don't quite know where to start.
My piano technician came to install a Damp Chaser system yesterday, and he suggested that I contact various Piano Stores / Dealers -- who usually have some very good piano teachers that work through the store (I guess they often sell a piano with a "package deal" of x-number of lessons thrown in.) I'm not sure about that approach since I am definitely not a "youngster."

I think I am going to contact the music departments of the Universities around the area
as well as some of the small schools: George Mason University in Virginia, for example -- and see what I can come up with. The option of taking lessons from Music Grad Students sounds like a feasible option to me.

Good luck to both of us !

Virginia (from Virginia)

#962170 - 09/05/04 02:21 PM Re: where to take lessons?
Ypiano Offline

Loc: Europe
Have you played piano at all? If you're a beginner, you should check out the music classes schedule at your school and see if they offer elective piano classes for non-music majors. A lot of schools offer these kind of classes for non-music majors, such as voice and piano. Also, check out if your school has continuing education department, sometimes they offer music lessons together with music department or by themselves. If you take lessons through your school, not only is it cheaper than private lesson, but also you can get some credits toward your degree!

If you're more advanced pianist, then you might be able to do a minor program which you will have a better chance to study with a professor at the school. Otherwise, it would be hard to find a professor who would teach non-major student. You should look for a grad student who is actually MAJORING in PIANO, not in some other instrument and play piano also.

If you want a private lesson and don't know anyone, call the music department and ask if they have teachers list. Music departments usually keep a list of available TAs or students who are looking for students, so they can refer to some one like you who calls. Don't feel obligated to the first person you call, meet with the person and talk to them individually and see what their teaching style is and so forth, plus you need to see their personality. You have to be able to get along with the teacher, it could be the best teacher in town, but if you two don't match, well then you know...
Teachers interview who they want to accept as a student, you have every right to interview prospective teachers as well.

I assume it would be easier if you find someone close to you like on campus, but if you can't find anyone, check out MTNA listings in your area. The music department should help you, if not email someone on the piano faculty, they're are usually members of MTNA.

Good luck, hope you will find someone soon!

#962171 - 09/05/04 02:53 PM Re: where to take lessons?
Ypiano Offline

Loc: Europe
I think I went on too long about how to get a teacher, after I read your question, maybe you already know how to find one. I think I got confused with virgina's. Sorry about that!

Anyway, I want to try to answer your question about class vs. lessons.
If you're a beginner totally, I believe that it's more productive to take the class. With the class, you will meet at least twice a week. You won't get as much of personal attention like you would with private lessons, but you're a college student (I mean, you're not a little kid who needs constant instruction). For adult beginners, I'd recommend classes. You see your peers and get to interact with them. Listening to other people and playing ensemble pieces together...it's fun, inspiring, and good motivation.

It's just my opinion, you have to find what's most comfortable for you.

I'm sorry for my long replies...

Good luck!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
85 registered (a-z0-9, Atrys, AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, Art_Vandelay, 22 invisible), 1223 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156277 Topics
2295059 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
53 minutes 46 seconds ago
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
Today at 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
Today at 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:15 AM
picking a fight: how many movements in op.110?
by beet31425
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission