Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#962279 - 01/21/04 10:46 PM What should I study?
annabell Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
I am looking for ways to teach myself how to teach piano to beginning students; children. I have been approached by a group of homeschooling mothers about teaching piano to their children. Many of them have studied the Suzuki Piano method, which I have never encountered. I am a fairly accomplished pianist; nonperforming. There are no other teachers in our community except for the Suzuki teacher who is a violinist.

I am looking for books to study to prepare me for this venture.

Thank you.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#962280 - 01/21/04 11:08 PM Re: What should I study?
iteachlifeskills Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON Canada
Hey, Cobalt;

Welcome to the music teaching ranks! I've been a full-time private music teacher since 1972 and I am every bit as passionate about it as I was when I started at age 18.

I was a top performer in my school back then and when I enrolled at Lowell State Teacher's College in Massachusetts in the fall of 1971, the school where I took my own private music lessons hired me as a teacher. It was a great setup because I was already well-known in that school.

I honestly had NO IDEA what I was doing during my first few months of teaching. But I LOVED PEOPLE and quickly developed an enthusiastic style that my students just loved.

I graduated with honors earning a Bachelor of Music Education degree in 1975. However, I really learned "How To Teach" during my first few years on the job. I did a lot of trial and error, and implemented many programs that kept the students excited and motivated.

Unfortunately, other teachers at the school were not as impressed as many of their students were asking to transfer to my schedule.

In time, I left to start my own school.

I have since had students of my own who wanted to try their hand at teaching. My first question to them is, "WHY?"

Most say they think the money is better than flipping burgers at Mickey D's.

I tell them, "WRONG!"

If you don't have a PASSION and ENTHUSIASM for what you are doing, then you will end up like many of the staff teachers at my old school... just waiting for the end of the week to collect their pay; wondering why their students want to jump to another teacher!

What should you study?

Study PEOPLE!

And continue to study and hone your own playing skills. Actually, you will find that when you start teaching, especially beginners at the most basic level, your own playing will automatically improve since you are constantly reinforcing strong fundamentals.

But be a PEOPLE person first. Make people your PASSION. You will figure out EVERYTHING ELSE you ever need to know.

And if you find you do need some extra help and advice, I'm just an email away.

Good luck and once again, welcome to the club!

From cold and snowy Toronto,
Russ

#962281 - 01/22/04 04:42 PM Re: What should I study?
annabell Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
I was hoping for textbook recommendations but am finding the posts in the forum invaluable. I have learned a lot since yesterday. Thank you.

#962282 - 01/22/04 11:09 PM Re: What should I study?
iteachlifeskills Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON Canada
One of my philosophies is that I don't teach music... I teach people.

If you are looking for texts, I would highly recommend 'people-based' personal development books; classics such as Dale Carnegie's "How To Win Friends and Influence People" and books of that nature.

The old axiom is still true today, "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

Do everything you can to take care of the people side first and foremost. The rest will take care of itself. This should be obvious, because if you REALLY CARE about others, you will do whatever you can to improve YOURSELF, and that would necessarily include your technical skills.

I would suggest continuing your own studies - either formally or through your own exploration. At least find yourself a good mentor who can offer some advice based on years of personal experience.

But first, get into those 'People' books. They will serve you better than any pedagogy book I have ever seen.

Feel free to write me directly with any specific questions you may have regarding teaching. I love to 'talk shop'! \:\)

Warmest wishes from cold and snowy Toronto,
Russ

#962283 - 01/28/04 08:44 AM Re: What should I study?
The Laughing Cavalier Offline

cobalt,

I'm not a piano teacher (except unto myself,) but I have found this site very useful:

http://members.aol.com/cc88m/PianoBook.html

It was put up by a Mr. Chang. In it he explains the fundamentals of piano playing in a very progressive and logical way.

I have for his method very helpful in my playing and I imagine it can be used beneficially by a teacher for his/her students.

Regards,

PS I forgot to mention when I posted earlier that Michael Aaron Piano Course, Primer to Grade Five is something that my kids use and they find it pretty informative.

#962284 - 02/06/04 02:36 PM Re: What should I study?
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Hi Cobalt,

Your piano-playing skill must be pretty good (or else you must be very good-looking) for home-schooling mothers to want you to teach their children. Your location sounds slightly off the map but is obviously an unusual challenging venture.

What Russ is trying to say (in amongst all that homegrown Carnegie advertisement) is that it's one thing to have a skill - it's another to put it across. But he is so heady with passion for the urban crusade that he's given cavalier treatment to your enquiry about books to get started with your piano teaching effort in the sticks.

Do you still have your original piano lesson books? Not a bad place to start - to remind you of your own introduction to the keyboard. Covering old ground will build confidence.

If you are self-taught then the very music that you selected at the time should prove an excellent starter. Why not use this music as the initial framework around which to build your advice on learning to play the piano. Books on the elements of music, harmony and theory would need to be added as things progress.

The violin is a hellish difficult instrument to master. The Suzuki method has the advantage of pupils following an essentially single note outline making sight-reading less daunting than for the piano. The multi-noted piano is a different ball-game. You will find that teaching children (each with ten little finger to co-ordinate) will tax your communication skills to the limit.

Russ is on the money in highlighting the need for passion in the enterprise. The extent and success of your following will be proportional to this catalytic factor.

Best wishes,
btb

#962285 - 02/07/04 02:47 PM Re: What should I study?
EmmaGrace Offline

I, too, am new at teaching. I do not have any music degrees....just many years of experience as a church pianist and a desire to teach piano to children in the rural area where I live. I have read several books that have helped me tremendously. The best is "The Art of Effective Piano Teaching" by Dino Ascari. Also, Dr. Martha Baker-Jordan's "Practical Piano Pedagogy: The Definitive Text for Piano Teachers..." is excellent. "The Well-Tempered Keyboard Teacher" was okay, but not as good as the first two. Hope this is helpful.

#962286 - 02/11/04 08:46 PM Re: What should I study?
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
www.Pianoatpepper.com

They have a number of books on this subject. If the link does not work try a search for J.W. Pepper and then go into their Piano at Pepper site which offers free shipping.

Patti Music also has many resources for teachers. Call Patti Music at 1-800-777-2884 and request their free catalog. They are very poor at monitoring their web site but they send out orders very fast using the telephone and mail.

If you or anyone can't find these sites send me a private mail and I will help you.

Regards,
Steve

anon

#962287 - 02/16/04 07:18 AM Re: What should I study?
minsmusic Offline

Loc: Australia
http://pianoeducation.org/pnollist.html

Click on their teacher's studio. They have heaps of advice for running a private music studio, as well as teaching advice. They also have a forum.

#962288 - 02/16/04 09:49 AM Re: What should I study?
WKS70 Offline

Loc: GA
I've been reading through all this, and the problem that Cobalt mentions is uncertainty over how to go about Suzuki, not insecurity over teaching students. I am not trained in Suzuki, but I do have an idea for you, Cobalt.

For the past few years, I've been taking lessons from Dr. Francisco Silva, an active concert pianist in the Atlanta area. He and his wife, Mireille, are in the process of writing a method that they currently call Gradus. Their first book is copyrighted, and they plan to publish it after they finish the second book sometime this year. They sell copies of their book and its accompanying CD from their home. Mireille Silva is certified in the Suzuki method, but just like so many courses, it too has its own little problems, although certainly not to the extent as the traditional American methods! Their book, Gradus, is the bridge between Suzuki and the traditional American approach. I changed all my beginner and intermediate students over to their course after having seen what it did for my daughter. The book uses solfege (do, re, mi) because it can be read and sung in rhythm much easier than using C, D, E. If you think about it, we are never taught to say our alphabet backwards. Also, when using C, D, E, it's hard to skip, such as when you say all the line or space notes, forwards or backwards, especially at a rapid speed.

Gradus is broken into four sections, Applied Theory, Pieces, Scales and Rhythm. You work through some of each section each week with the student. In Applied Theory, students learn to rapidly play and solfege all their intervals, up and down, and identify them by sound. There is also a writing section. In Pieces, they immediately start with a single note melody in the right hand and chords in the left. Even very small children do not have a problem with this. By the third song, the chords are broken down into Alberti bass, achieving independence of hands. Along with the scales, students are taught to transpose their pieces. The rhythm section is excellent.

My seven year-old daughter finished the book in a little less than a year. She is now considered an intermediate pianist. She's working on pieces from Burgmuller - Op 100, Anna Magdalena's Notebook, Beethoven's Sonatina in Sol, Hanon and Beyer. I believe strongly in this course because I see the difference in my own students.

If you are interested, you may contact the Silva's at the following address:

Francisco & Mireille Silva
1518 Blackwell Road
Marietta, GA 30066-2906
Tel: 770-565-7177
silvafm@bellsouth.net

I wish you the best in working with your new students!

Wendy

#962289 - 03/11/04 11:42 AM Re: What should I study?
starmender Offline

Loc: Australia
Study Piaget's theories of child development, and Karl Orff, Kodaly, Dalcroze and Suzuki.

Learn the Bartok Reschovsky Piano Tutor. Get to know the Burgmuller studies, Opus 100, and apply Max Cooke's Touch Tone Technique and Bartok Reschovsky to them.

Learn the Anna Magdelena Bach Book.
Learn Kabalevsky's 24 little pieces.

Then find some beginners books that excite you, and figure out how to get from them up to the above.

It takes years to get really good at teaching, and when you are finally a living treasure, you either retire or die in the saddle.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
150 registered (accordeur, Abby Pianoman, Alexander Borro, 36251, 47 invisible), 1488 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157249 Topics
2309607 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Aebersold Play-Alongs
by EP
Today at 06:39 PM
Plan on playing this Thursday night
by Visalia
Today at 06:16 PM
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
Today at 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
Today at 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
Today at 03:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission