Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#962496 - 07/27/06 03:44 PM Question for Teachers
thepianist2008 Offline

Loc: NY
I was wondering what you do with a new piece. What do you do from the time first sit down with it to the time when you know all the notes and start to make music with it. Do you learn the difficult techincal parts first? Do you memorize the piece first? What do teachers do?

Current Assignments:
Bach Prelude and Fugue in Bb Maj, D min, and C Maj from Bk I
Mozart Sonata K.280
Brahms Rhapsody Op. 79 No. 2
Bartok Six Roumanian Folk Dances
Prokofieff Visions Fugitives Op. 22

I'm going to Ithaca! Yay!!!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#962497 - 07/29/06 02:52 AM Re: Question for Teachers
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I read the whole piece through.
I then go back and read it again very slowly with no mistakes (if I can help it.) If I make a mistake I play it even more slowly so that it is accurate. If it is a really tricky part, I take that part and repeat it correctly over and over again 1000 times! Just kidding, but maybe. I get pretty obsessed with getting it right and up to tempo and sometimes this is what it takes. I usually work on one section like the "A" section before tackling the "B" section. Although, I will read the whole piece through every day.

#962498 - 07/29/06 04:09 AM Re: Question for Teachers
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
I work in much the same way as pianobuff. I will probably listen to a few recordings to start with and then just get stuck in. This often begins with a read through of as much as I can. Then I will work on sections, starting slowly and gradually building up to the required tempo. Repetition is the key. I will play a phrase or a passage over and over until I know it is right. This is what I have difficulty getting students to understand. They are often impatient and get frustrated after only a few repetitions. The difference for me is that I know I will eventually get it whereas they feel like they never will. The memory develops over time. When the piece is working reasonably well I will try from memory to see how far I can get. When I get stuck I will try to remember before eventually going back to the score. Bib by bit I can remember more of it until I can play it all from memory. Even when I can play a piece it will need constant refining before I feel it is ready to be performed. There is a big difference between being able to get through something and having it at performance standard.

#962499 - 07/29/06 09:09 AM Re: Question for Teachers
Huy Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
1. slow practice
2. focus on tone, expression markings
3. slow practice
4. slow practice

ummmm u get the idea... \:\)

#962500 - 09/02/06 10:34 PM Re: Question for Teachers
Kathleen Bryan Offline

Loc: Toronto
It can be rather difficult to find the perfect formula that everyone should adhere to when learning a new piece.

I've generally told my students over the years to practice hands separately slowly. If you have a trouble spot, work on that alone, then once you're comfortable, put it all together.

Practice the piece hands together, again SLOWLY (I cannot stress this enough), throwing in expressions, phrasings, etc.

Bringing up the piece to its proper speed should be the very last thing to worry about.

I highly recommend you avoid using recordings as a guide while in the early stages of getting to know the piece.

Teaches all ages, from Classical to Fun!

Located in the GTA. For more information, please contact me at: keys@pianistforlife.com

#962501 - 09/03/06 09:09 PM Re: Question for Teachers
starsea49 Offline

Bringing up the piece to its proper speed should be the very last thing to worry about.

I highly recommend you avoid using recordings as a guide while in the early stages of getting to know the piece.

I happen to agree with you.

#962502 - 09/03/06 10:26 PM Re: Question for Teachers
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
 Quote:
this is probably not everyone's view on learning a piece. my teacher wouldn't agree and even ask me sometimes if i heard the recording of the piece i'm learning. the point is to get an idea of how a piece sounds like.

#962503 - 09/03/06 11:00 PM Re: Question for Teachers
starsea49 Offline

Signa - not listening only in the very EARLY stages.

We ought to first come up with our very own interpretation, then compare and contrast to different recordings for changes and adaption.

This exercise is merely designed to encourage originality (not listening) within accepted parameters. (comparing by listening to recommended recordings.)

#962504 - 09/04/06 06:00 AM Re: Question for Teachers
paul kenyon Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
While not precisely a method, this is what I try to do in principle:
1. study notes, fingering and rhythms thoroughly, most often phrase by phrase. I try to mark fingerings clearly enough that I can discern my fingering easily if/when I return to the piece years later. I also practice conducting the phrases and counting carefully as I play (yes, out loud) to make my rhythmic understanding of the music clear.
2. address any mechanical/technical challenges, attacking the most difficult passages in isolation, hands alone as necesary. Playing slowly enough to think/hear passages clearly.
3. continually refine my sense of the ideal sound for each phrase through score study away from the piano, or "pre-hearing" each phrase prior to playing it.
4. as my sense of the ideal sound comes clearer, I also work to clarify the choreographic elements of the playing so that the movements of my hands/arms/body integrate with my musical ideas

As for listening to recordings, I have mixed feelings. I was taught that if one listens to recordings during the learning process, you really need to listen to many performances (5 or 6 minimum) and not just one. While this is not always practical, it can be instructive. In my own teaching, I ask my students to wait to listen until they have formed some idea of how they hear the music. Too often, hearing the CD makes them rush through the learning process, they are tempted to play too fast too early and the music is less thoroughly absorbed.

#962505 - 09/04/06 09:33 AM Re: Question for Teachers
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Paul,

Your steps 1 and 2 pretty much define what I do. I will play (stumble) through a piece to get a sense of its architecture, but I really can't begin to learn it until I spend a few hours fingering it phrase by phrase. If I don't make that initial investment of time, I find that my learning is slow and halting.

Once in a while I have learned a piece by sightreading it to death slowly, but this process is highly inefficient. The fingerings that often evolve turn out to be inferior, but once I've memorized them turning back the clock proves very difficult. The process of carefully working out fingering options also speeds the learning process immensely.

It's so difficult to get kids -- I'm thinking of my son here -- to attack the difficult spots in isolation. He'll do it, but often not to the point of full 100% mastery. Like most kids he wants to put it all together as quickly as possible. One day I hope he'll realize that that makes full command of a piece harder to attain.

Cheers,

David F
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
77 registered (Austin D, AndreiN, Atrys, Anticlock, Art_Vandelay, 22 invisible), 1201 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156219 Topics
2294246 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
Yesterday at 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
Yesterday at 07:12 PM
Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on?
by Alex1
Yesterday at 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission